Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Optical Illusions / Unusual Images

As you look at these dice, try to determine if they are standing up, or laying flat.

Is the devil near?

(an eclipse of the Sun in May 2003, photographed near Vienna/Austria.Photo taken by P. Wienerroither )

Below, look at the gap as it moves around the pink circles,
now stare at the cross and what colour does the gap appear?

At first glance, this looks like a wooded landscape, with towering hills in the background.
However look a little more closely and you will see that the trees are broccoli and the hills are baked potatoes. In fact everything you can see in the photograph is made of food!

Last edited by Javed; 03-06-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
http://www.maniacworld.com/Spinning-...l-Illusion.gif

Which way is she turning?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Checker Shadow Illusion

http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/ade..._illusion.html
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I played around and made a video out of that picture. Let me see if I can figure out how to post it on my website, and if I can, I'll post a link. At 17.49 MB, it's too large to upload here.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-07-2010 at 08:27 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I played around and made a video out of that picture. Let me see if I can figure out how to post it on my website, and if I can, I'll post a link. At 17.49 MB, it's too large to upload here.
Here you go:

http://wtsharpe.com/Videos/Optical%2...%20001%20e.mov

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-07-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
The silhouette itself could be turning in either direction. However, if it's turning to the right, then we're looking at the silhouette from above and can see the shadow on the ground, even if the ground is invisible. However, the shadow is rendered in a way consistent with us looking from below the floor at silhouette turning to the left. Unfortunately, then we'd see no shadow - so the picture makes no sense either way.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Good job WT!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Thanks, Sparrow!

It needs more "hang time" at the beginning and maybe a soundtrack. Maybe one day when I'm feeling ambitious.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-07-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
The silhouette itself could be turning in either direction. However, if it's turning to the right, then we're looking at the silhouette from above and can see the shadow on the ground, even if the ground is invisible. However, the shadow is rendered in a way consistent with us looking from below the floor at silhouette turning to the left. Unfortunately, then we'd see no shadow - so the picture makes no sense either way.
It's an illusion - it's not rotating at all, being a two dimensional image. The point is that we can perceive it to be rotating clockwise or anti-clockwise and this appears to be bi-stable - it seems to just flip between the two possibilities, though having disambiguated to the image to be moving in one direction it is sometimes quite difficult to "get it" to go in the opposite direction.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
It's an illusion - it's not rotating at all, being a two dimensional image. The point is that we can perceive it to be rotating clockwise or anti-clockwise and this appears to be bi-stable - it seems to just flip between the two possibilities, though having disambiguated to the image to be moving in one direction it is sometimes quite difficult to "get it" to go in the opposite direction.
TGS, this illusion is really clever and amazing! The first time I looked, it seemed to be turning clockwise and I couldn't perceive it to go in the other direction. I had another look at it and then she was going anti-clockwise! Great! It does become difficult to get her to change direction. I found looking more to the left or right helped me to perceive the rotational shift, and then I could look straight at the image again and the rotation had changed. Thanks for posting this illusion!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sparrow, the Checker Shadow Illusion is very clever too, thanks! When I first saw it, I thought there was no way they were the same color. They are though! Thanks Tom, for the great video of this showing how they are the same color.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

In this linked image, "Rotating Snake Illusion", the strong rotation occurs in relation to eye movements. On very steady and precise eye fixation the effect vanishes.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
In this linked image, "Rotating Snake Illusion", the strong rotation occurs in relation to eye movements. On very steady and precise eye fixation the effect vanishes.
The only way I can get the snakes to stay still is squint and defocus my eyes slightly. Otherwise no matter how still I think I'm keeping them, there's at least one, usually more, moving.

Repeated experimenting with this has led me to conclude I have a headache...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Well, not for my mind. To me, it's always spinning clockwise, and though I can understand how it should look if it was spinning anti-clockwise, I can't make my mind see it as such. Only clockwise.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Well, not for my mind. To me, it's always spinning clockwise, and though I can understand how it should look if it was spinning anti-clockwise, I can't make my mind see it as such. Only clockwise.
You are obviously in your right mind, sir.

Most days, I'm not.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard

If I look off to the side it helps me see the illusion spin the other way.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #15
Javed
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If I look off to the side it helps me see the illusion spin the other way.
Yes, that helps me too. Another way is to just look at the lower edge of the picture at the shadow and not the silhouette; that also works for me. Sometimes I can do it easily, othertimes it is very hard to change the spin.