Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
usb adapter, would this work?

I have a usb battery charger (charges AA alkalines) that came with an adapter that allows me to use the charger in a wall outlet instead ov via usb. It's basically just a plug that the usb cable plugs into. Would I be able to use this adapter with the reader usb cableto charge it, do you think? I don't want to fry the reader!
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angie* View Post
I have a usb battery charger (charges AA alkalines) that came with an adapter that allows me to use the charger in a wall outlet instead ov via usb. It's basically just a plug that the usb cable plugs into. Would I be able to use this adapter with the reader usb cableto charge it, do you think? I don't want to fry the reader!
It won't fry the Reader. It just won't work. if you want to be able to charge your Reader away from the computer, you'll want to get a PSP AC adapter of a good quality. Get one with the barrel shaped plug for going into the AC socket on the bottom of the Reader.

http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=453

Cost is $9.99. No idea on shipping.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-10-2009 at 08:28 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm afraid that a power socket to usb charger merely drains the battery, Angie.

If you want to do a mains charge, then try a Sony PSP charger. You can get generic ones very cheaply. Even a PSP tip attached to your current charger may work; but do check the voltage. Always remember that you need the barrel-like tip (as in the expensive official charger, or the PSP one) if you use the mains.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
Oh, well, it looks like I can buy a 3rd party PSP charger quite inexpensively locally so won't have to worry about shipping at all. Great! Thanks for the quick replies!
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I think you guys are wrong. I have a wall plugin usb charger and it works fine. I think I bought it for that very reason so I could charge my Clie' without plugging it in to the computer. A usb cable provide a 5 volt power source for the attached device. This is what is used to charge the battery.

USB connector pin assignments: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...num=4&ct=image

Last edited by kennyc; 09-11-2009 at 07:18 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kenny, that may work with a clie, but we have had many reports of the battery draining when using a mains to usb charger:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52103
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=usb+draining
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=usb+draining
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ing#post579386
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ing#post517334
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ing#post346267
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ing#post323791
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ing#post192713

Last edited by Patricia; 09-11-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Patricia, interesting. I just tried this myself with my wall usb charger and you are right in that it DOES NOT light up the red "charging" light.

My take-away from that is that the software in the Reader must be not enabling the charging unless it has a "proper" connection to a computer.

Sorry for my misleading response. I'm just of of those damn electrical engineers!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
kenny, I have to agree with Patricia, prs505 is not a clie. For some reason, Sony implemented a very strict spec for the USB which demands a "host" or attached PC before it starts charging. It needs to do some negotiation before it starts up.

But I've been thinking, I use a hacked cable to charge my Nintendo DS on the road using a USB charger, why not hack the barrel tip of a PSP charger and splice that into a USB cable (first grounding the data lines of course, like I did with the USB cable I use for my DS). It would be no different than this cable mod for the PSP itself.

In fact, I think I will try to assemble that this weekend. I have a 3-week holiday in Thailand coming up and I would love to take just the one USB charger for my blackberry, DS, and PRS-505.

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-11-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added link to USB cable mod
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
Patricia
Reader

No worries, Kenny.

And one advantage of mains charging is that you can read while the device is charging up. You can't do that if you are charging with a usb connected to the computer.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
No worries, Kenny.

And one advantage of mains charging is that you can read while the device is charging up. You can't do that if you are charging with a usb connected to the computer.

And it's faster. So I've heard. I don't have the adapter myself though.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
kenny, I have to agree with Patricia, prs505 is not a clie. For some reason, Sony implemented a very strict spec for the USB which demands a "host" or attached PC before it starts charging. It needs to do some negotiation before it starts up.

But I've been thinking, I use a hacked cable to charge my Nintendo DS on the road using a USB charger, why not hack the barrel tip of a PSP charger and splice that into a USB cable (first grounding the data lines of course, like I did with the USB cable I use for my DS). It would be no different than this cable mod for the PSP itself.

In fact, I think I will try to assemble that this weekend. I have a 3-week holiday in Thailand coming up and I would love to take just the one USB charger for my blackberry, DS, and PRS-505.
At this point I don't think it's just a matter of getting the right voltage to the pins, it appears to be something in the Reader itself that requires a legitimate usb connection (likely handshaking on the serial lines) before it will allow charging.

But do let us know!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
Patricia
Reader

I believe that , with Sony Readers, charging with usb requires a usb host; hence the need for a computer.
However, adding the barrel-shaped, PSP tip to a 5 volt charger has been reported to work.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I believe that , with Sony Readers, charging with usb requires a usb host; hence the need for a computer.
However, adding the barrel-shaped, PSP tip to a 5 volt charger has been reported to work.

Sounds reasonable if that is what AZ had in mind.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
Wall charger and barrel power cable

If you have a wall or auto charger that has a standard USB socket in it (there are many -- such such as http://www.amazon.com/Coby-CA81-Powe...2682049&sr=8-2) then you can use one of the USB to barrel charger cables such as http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28732. They work fine with the 505. EBay is another good source also I have used Deals extreme many time and they are reliable and affordable -- if a little slow (one to two weeks from HK).
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
kennyc

Cool. Thanks.