Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Mick4545
Enthusiast
Mick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2
Waterstones: Not Impressed So Far

Bought a 505 on Monday from my local shop. The advertised 2.5% reduction in VAT was not deducted but I didn't make a fuss, I just wanted to get out of there. When I got to my car I had a look at my purchase and found that I had not been given a 505, they had given me the cover with light wedge instead. I went back and sorted things out without a problem, but, not a good start.

I will not be opening the box until xmas morning so a couple of questions:

1. What version software will it have out of the box?

2. I was told by the sales assistant that the 100 free books were pre installed on the reader, not on a CD. Is this true.

First post by the way. Hello everyone.

Mick
Mick4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Welcome to MobileRead.

I don't know about your first question, but I can answer the second. Most people have found that downloading the 100 "free ebooks" is not worthwhile. All of the free ebooks are in the public domain and can be found in many other places on the Web, including here at MobileRead.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=126
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Aurora W
Addict
Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, iPad, Nexus 7
Welcome!

1. Not sure about the software version where you are - the last person I know who bought one got version 1.1, but it was purchased here in the States.

2. The only version of the free ebooks I've seen have been downloaded from the Sony site. Again, that was in the States - not sure about how they handled elsewhere.
Aurora W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick4545 View Post
1. What version software will it have out of the box?
It doesn't matter. You can update it right after you install it. I think 2.5 is the newest version... If the US and UK versions are kept in sync.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
The reader will be 1.2 (in the UK) - you can download a copy of the Sony Windows software, no need for the CD. (Maybe the US one, not the UK, but not significant a diffference). Get the free books from here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=126) rather than the Sony site (better conversions here)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut
Roger Wilmut began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick4545 View Post
I was told by the sales assistant that the 100 free books were pre installed on the reader, not on a CD. Is this true.
No. I bought mine a few weeks back in John Lewis and the CD was included in the box. As said, all the books are readily available from Gutenberg et al.
Roger Wilmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I got mine from Waterstones, and the free ebooks were on a CD, not already on teh reader. Having said that, if you want to keep those versions, it's easy enough to transfer them. Or you can get far better formatted copies from here (the ebooks link above).

You can also buy ebooks from places like booksonboard.com and fictionwise.com - which are both cheaper and easier to use than the Waterstones site!

And welcome I'm sure you'll enjoy the 505!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:16 AM   #8
Mick4545
Enthusiast
Mick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies. So, the 2.5 ver will work on a UK 505, I need this as I am on Vista 64 and don't fancy workarounds. Is ver 2.5 a software or firmware upgrade?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's the "eBook Librarian" software you install on your PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The titles that come with your purchase are titles that, for the most part, are indeed available from Gutenberg and many from MobileRead - just to name two sources.

Those books, however, are formatted by Sony and formatted the way they want them formatted. This is, or is not, a good thing depending on your personal preferences.

Whether they come pre-loaded on the Reader or they are on a CD is one only of convenience; but again, depending upon your personal preference. If you don't like their formatting and the titles are on CD, then you're in luck. Put the CD away and forget about it, since you won't be putting them on your Reader, anyway.

Remember, also, that you will have access to your free books through their library whenever you want them.

I'm a hoarder, so I like to have different versions of the same title, even though I personally feel that they're formatting is inferior (but only on these $1.99 classics.)

But always -- and this is the important part - HAVE FUN!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
Mick4545
Enthusiast

OK, I'll junk the CD. I've downloaded some titles from Feedbooks and installed Adobe Digital Editions. Now, have I got this right, the act of placing the books into ADEs library folder and from there to the 505 automatically formats them for the 505?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #12
winspiration
Connoisseur
winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Kindle Fire HD
If the books are already in .lrf format, I don't think they need to go into ADE, I think you can download them to any folder. I have done this & transferred them using the Sony library software. I've only used ADE for the couple of books that I've bought so far from Waterstones (using the points accrued from buying the reader, so effectively free )

I downloaded the US software, so that I could access the Sony US store - even if you don't buy from there, I think it is worth doing. You don't need the UK version to buy from Waterstones, and in the couple of months I've had the reader, I've downloaded quite a few free ebooks following tip offs on here

The free books were on a CD, rather than pre-loaded, although there were a few things (mainly samples) pre-loaded.

Enjoy your reader
winspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
DoctorH
DoctorH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
A different gripe about Waterstone's: why are ebook prices higher than for a paperback?
C J Sansom's "Revelation" is priced at £6.49 for paperback on their website (£5.84 at Amazon incidentally) and an outrageous £10.40 for the ebook version! With such high prices I'm not likely to buy many new ebooks and that can't surely be in Waterstone's long term interests. Nearly all the books on my PRS 505 so far are free from Gutenberg through Manybooks.
DoctorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
As much as I'd like to support UK businesses, you're far better buying ebooks from places like booksonboard.com and fictionwise.com - they have better pricing and easier to search sites.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
As much as I'd like to support UK businesses, you're far better buying ebooks from places like booksonboard.com and fictionwise.com - they have better pricing and easier to search sites.
I'm from the UK too, and so far I have only bought from fictionwise and BooksOnBoard. However, the major disadvantage they have compared to Waterstones is that they have, quite naturally, relatively little coverage of UK authors. They are also carry a lot of sci-fi and romance titles, and do not seem quite as extensive in the general fiction and other categories. I do read a lot of sci-fi anyway, but I like to mix it up with other fiction and non-fiction; and diet of pure sci-fi is rather fattening.

So at some point I may have to give Waterstones a try; the ADE DRM is what is mainly putting me off.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote