Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #16
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapezzuto View Post
Speaking of obscure and superfluous... anyone have an idea for a standard format for cookbooks?
I like Living Cookbook software. I can make my own cookbooks and export them in a variety of formats. My New Year's project is to compile a cookbook of my favorite recipes and put it on the Kindle and/or the Iliad.

To stay on topic, word of the day is fine and I'll defenestrate anyone who disagrees.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fekete View Post

For folks what're interested, one of the more common (and hilarious) academic uses of defenestrate and its forms is The Defenestration of Prague, which can be learnt about here. The second example is the famous one, and involves doot.

- Danny
Excellent Danny! I also find visual clues helpful to memorize a word.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #18
lowmagnet
lowmagnet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Okay, so I'll keep it off the front page. But it's not fluff.
Well it is certainly off-topic for the site in general. I for one don't mind lower volume because there is less e-reader news, since that just means there's less news in a given week. I'm sure in many parts of the world, this week is not a big week for press releases in general.

Now, book reviews (in ebook format, of course) would be grrreat!
lowmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #19
LauretteBradley
Enthusiast
LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle reader on iPad and iPhone
I LOVE Word of the Day features. Anything that causes me to pause and appreciate a word is COOL. But you need to kick it up a notch, so that it is not just a one line definition. Danny Fekete has provided a great example of how to make the WotD more interesting.

Other ways to make simple words more interesting --

* Ask the readers who used a word first. Example -- Who first refered to the telephone in literature? The airplane?

* Quote famous uses of the word in books. See if readers know who the quote is from.

* Put a word out there and see if readers associate it with an author. Example, I can not see the word "sir" and not think of Boswell/Johnson. There are lots of words like that.

* Etc. I applaud the WotD feature, but you need to do it in a fun, engaging way.
LauretteBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #20
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
Ideas:

Alright, so if "Word of the Day" isn't popular as an independent post, why not tack on a word of the week to the Week in Review posts?

~ or ~

I can understand folks objecting to the idea because a number of subscription services exist already to serve this purpose. To make it community-relevant, then, why not have a member submission system and requirements? Readers could post yummy words they come across while using their devices and include information like:
- Source/context
- Location and events in the outside world when they hit the yummy word.
- Device used for reading (so we can finally correlate user intelligence with product choice , etc.)

What hey?
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #21
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
... Oh, and definitions. They could include those too.
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote