Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #61
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Contrast was not the issue for me. The brightness of the screen, even with the slider all the way to the left was leaving me snowblind when I attemted to read at night.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #62
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
you the man, pruss. You're app was the first I used some of the play credit on. worked fine out of the gate, but really liked getting an update a couple days later that allowed the smaller interface and eliminated the flash when the dimmer kicked in.

Highly recommend this app for anyone with an N7 who likes to read with the Kindle (or other stores' that don't let you fine tune the font color) app in bed.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #63
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@soondai, if you find the volume is too low on your N7, pruss has another app that increases volume beautifully. It's called Speaker Boost.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #64
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I tried the "root" version of Screen Dim on my N7, but it does not dim the screen any more than the minimum setting in the standard settings. I would like it to get dimmer than that.

If it matters to Screen Dim, I upgraded to the latest firmware before rooting, and I flashed ClockWorkMod to it so I can recover without a tethered boot.

P.S. Speaker Boost works great on my N7. I also found that holding it so that my hand LOOSELY COVERS the speaker grill on the back guides sound around the palm of my hand toward the front, making it sound much louder. This is easy when watching videos in landscape mode. I use that hold AND a 60% boost with Speaker Boost.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-27-2012 at 10:11 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #65
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I have Screen Dim set at 8-255 for night one. It sure seems dimmer to me .
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #66
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I tried the "root" version of Screen Dim on my N7, but it does not dim the screen any more than the minimum setting in the standard settings. I would like it to get dimmer than that.

If it matters to Screen Dim, I upgraded to the latest firmware before rooting, and I flashed ClockWorkMod to it so I can recover without a tethered boot.
The non-root version lets you adjust contrast once the backlight dimming gives out. You can either have two sliders, one for backlight and one for contrast, or a single combined slider that lowers contrast once you run out of backlight (at around 20/255).

Quote:
P.S. Speaker Boost works great on my N7. I also found that holding it so that my hand LOOSELY COVERS the speaker grill on the back guides sound around the palm of my hand toward the front, making it sound much louder. This is easy when watching videos in landscape mode. I use that hold AND a 60% boost with Speaker Boost.
You might try putting a heavy book under, with some spacers, to get a better sound reflector, maybe.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #67
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am testing a new version which will give access to the presets in the notification area. If you'd like to help me test it, email me at arpruss@gmail.com. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #68
pruss
Evangelist

Today (and I think tomorrow as well), ScreenDim Full is free in the Amazon Appstore. Enjoy!
Old 10-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #69
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
pruss-

for announcing that ScreenDim Full is free for the moment at Amazon!

I just installed it on my Fire HD 6, and have a question: Can your app dim the screen beyond the tablet's default minimum brightness?

Edit: To answer my own question after playing with the app, yes!

Last edited by ludovicus; 11-04-2014 at 11:53 AM.
ludovicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #70
pruss
Evangelist

I posted a new version of ScreenDim (both on Google Play and the Amazon Appstore). It has two experimental features (use at your own risk, of course) that I've been asked for.

1. Root-based dimming option. On some (not many) devices this lets you make things even dimmer. For instance, it helps on my Nexus 7 (newer model). Moreover, root-based dimming is probably more resistant to apps overriding brightness. The old method is still the default, and root is NOT needed for ScreenDim, but one or two users requested this function.

2. Activate on boot. For years, people have been asking me for this feature. I didn't want to include it, because I was afraid that someone would set the brightness so low the screen would disappear completely, and then be unable to restore things on boot. Finally, I got around this problem by setting things up so that ScreenDim does not activate if the device is upside-down while booting. So if you set the screen too low to see, just boot with the device lying upside down.

To activate the options, press ..., then Settings.

Last edited by pruss; 12-30-2014 at 11:52 AM.