Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
and to think... we managed to do it without computers a'tall!
We used $500 slide rules. The $400 models weren't up to the task.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
there ya' go!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 04:48 AM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Don't laugh, but when I was at University, we had to sign up in advance to use something called a Wang Calculator, a machine that did less in 1970 (and cost $3800) than many handhelds do today.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #19
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Anyone else Anoid they can't afford this eBook reader?

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-26-2010 at 05:17 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:23 AM   #20
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by scveteran View Post
If you want only a word processor, then get one. Most students use their computer for a lot more than that. I have 2 college students in my house right now. Also keep in mind that usually Asus costs a whole lot more than $400. They only have one Asus listed for price range, and it is really designed mainly for web surfing and word processing. It would choke on anything much harder than that. I bought for one student and had to return it.
I am not sure where you are but the Asus is cheaper than $400 and I use it for a lot more than web surfing and word processing. It has an 8 hour plus battery life, I also use it for various music processing (I am a professional musician) and ebook preparation. As Asus expects to sell 20 million of these "useless" computers in 2011 I guess they are worrying all the way to the bank. Perhaps you tried one of the early low power units. A colleague bought a very expensive wide screen high power laptop when I bought mine - the battery only runs 3 hours and it is very temperamental to say the least. He feels ripped off and wishes he had bought my Asus.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #21
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
and to think... we managed to do it without computers a'tall!
Be that as it may, these days it is literally impossible to be a college student without access to a computer. Pretty much every single class requires you have access to the internet to access stuff for class.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #22
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
Be that as it may, these days it is literally impossible to be a college student without access to a computer. Pretty much every single class requires you have access to the internet to access stuff for class.
I know, I got my Masters during the computer age. I was just giving someone a hard time
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #23
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
I know, I got my Masters during the computer age. I was just giving someone a hard time
hahaha gotcha!
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #24
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
How many students can afford $600 ~ $1000?
Priced any text books lately?
Renting or even buying the e-book will pay for the machine in a few semesters.

Hopefully it will put a huge dent into the vastly overpriced textbook market.

Back when lower division math books were only in the $30.00 range I had an upper division class with six smart guys and me in it. The text book was an amazingly low seven or eight dollars. The ink ran on the cover if it got wet and the paper was cheap but it got the job done.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #25
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Well, I got a B.A. and J.D. without a computer. I didn't even buy a computer until 1984, when my firm told me they wanted me to test an atomated drafting system, and I didn't want them to know I didn't know didlly about a computer. I still don't know much, beyond email and wordprocessing and spreadsheets. But, since a $300 netbook will do all I want to do, I don't pay more.

Last book read "The Slap" by Christos Tsiolkas

Last edited by Sydney's Mom; 12-26-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromHC View Post
Priced any text books lately?
Renting or even buying the e-book will pay for the machine in a few semesters.
Spendy! eTextbooks will pay for a netbook even quicker.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #27
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
The price looks quite reasonable.

Considering its size and functions as well as the wacom digitizer screen, the price is quite reasonable.

Some people can always go with cheap options and there are also other people who want some superior features and are willing to pay more for the features.

If Kno table can offer the benefits as it described from the beginning, the price will worth it.
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzki View Post
Considering its size and functions as well as the wacom digitizer screen, the price is quite reasonable.

Some people can always go with cheap options and there are also other people who want some superior features and are willing to pay more for the features.

If Kno table can offer the benefits as it described from the beginning, the price will worth it.

And some people who are well off and don't care about a few 100 bucks. Besides, none of the netbooks I have read about has a 14" screen?

If you really want to save money --- use a second hand laptop and put Jolicloud or a similar OS on it.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:16 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
And some people who are well off and don't care about a few 100 bucks. Besides, none of the netbooks I have read about has a 14" screen?

If you really want to save money --- use a second hand laptop and put Jolicloud or a similar OS on it.
Not everyone wants or needs a 14" screen. My preference is for a 10" netbook or a 7" tablet; depending on the situation.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:38 AM   #30
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Not everyone wants or needs a 14" screen. My preference is for a 10" netbook or a 7" tablet; depending on the situation.
Exactly, which is why the Kno is marketing to a specific group, students. 7" is too small for a student, and a 10" tablet would require that the pages are reduced to fit everything onto the screen. Kno are requesting app inventors, but their main purpose and target are students. One of the things that makes the Kno so appealing to me is the fact that they are staying focused on perfecting it's main purpose, before they start adding a whole bunch of other apps into the mix.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote