Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
tobymax
tobymax began at the beginning.

Device: none
Merging files?

Hi I love fan fiction and I understand how to download a text file and convert
it to epub. My question is often fan fiction stories is divided into parts. How
do I merge all parts into one file? Can I do it via calibre? Thank you.
tobymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymax View Post
do I merge all parts into one file? Can I do it via calibre? Thank you.
Try putting them all in a zip file along with any images and open it is Calibre.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Depending on where the fanfiction comes from, you might be able to use the Fanfiction Downloader to get all the parts into one file.

Other than that, there's no quick way to combine multiple files other than "open a txt file or Word doc; copy & paste each section in."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Depending on where the fanfiction comes from, you might be able to use the Fanfiction Downloader to get all the parts into one file.

Other than that, there's no quick way to combine multiple files other than "open a txt file or Word doc; copy & paste each section in."
They actually combine pretty easily when creating an ePUB since it supported multiple html files. I think Calibre can do this.

Dale
Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I don't think Calibre will combine multiple text files into an epub. For that matter, I don't think it'll combine multiple HTML files; you need another program to do the combining & create the TOC file.

If I'm wrong, please tell me! I'd love to be able to create ebooks by throwing multiple loose HTML files into a folder, zipping them, and pointing Calibre at them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
You could try Sigil 0.2.0 as you can import HTML files using it book browser section.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymax View Post
My question is often fan fiction stories is divided into parts. How do I merge all parts into one file?
Well, if you are using Windows and can work at the command line it is extremely easy to merge a large number of text files into one file using the COPY command. You just put all the text files into one folder. If the file names are in alphanumeric order you just type COPY *.TXT OUTPUT.TXT . If the file names are not in alphanumeric order you would need to order them yourself with a command like
COPY FILE1.TXT+FILE2.TXT+FILE3.TXT OUTPUT.TXT

Of course the file names that you actually type would be up to you, instead of my generic examples.

Last edited by Dave_S; 03-17-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Well, if you are using Windows and can work at the command line it is extremely easy to merge a large number of text files into one file using the COPY command. You just put all the text files into one folder. If the file names are in alphanumeric order you just type COPY *.TXT OUTPUT.TXT . If the file names are not in alphanumeric order you would need to order them yourself with a command like
COPY FILE1.TXT+FILE2.TXT+FILE3.TXT OUTPUT.TXT

Of course the file names that you actually type would be up to you, instead of my generic examples.
Yes that works great for text files but not so good for html that the original question was about. You can do it but then you have all the duplicate head sections, body sections, etc. which is a mess to try and clean up.

Dale
Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I don't think Calibre will combine multiple text files into an epub. For that matter, I don't think it'll combine multiple HTML files; you need another program to do the combining & create the TOC file.

If I'm wrong, please tell me! I'd love to be able to create ebooks by throwing multiple loose HTML files into a folder, zipping them, and pointing Calibre at them.
To merge multiple HTMLs when converting through calibre, all you need to do is create one HTML file that links to all the others. Kovid gives instructions on doing this in this post in the Workshop forum.

It wouldn't be hard to write a program that automatically generated an HTML file that linked to all the others in the directory. (Indeed, even my miniscule programming skills could handle this, I think -- let me know if you want me to try!) Creating your own, however, will give you more control over the order they appear in.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 AM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes that works great for text files but not so good for html that the original question was about. You can do it but then you have all the duplicate head sections, body sections, etc. which is a mess to try and clean up.
The original post did ask about merging TEXT files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymax
do I merge all parts into one file?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The original post did ask about merging TEXT files.
you are correct but I don't know where these fanfic files are coming from. All the fanfic files I have ever seen were html. They are posted to be read with a browser.

Dale
Old 03-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
you are correct but I don't know where these fanfic files are coming from. All the fanfic files I have ever seen were html. They are posted to be read with a browser.

Dale

In that case you may be correct, since I have no knowledge at all concerning FanFiction files.
I was just responding to the text of the original question as it was posed.