Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
mark_e_h
Connoisseur
mark_e_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/IpadMini
change with new Kindle PC reader?

I have the Kindle PC Reader 1.9.1 installed (recent update), and apparently something has changed. Books that can be converted to epub and read with the Calibre reader will no longer open using the mobi version in the Kindle PC reader.

This includes books downloaded from the Kindle store and wifi synced to my Kindle Touch, and then put into my Calibre library.

I also notice this on news that is downloaded directly from news web sites.

These are readable on my Kindle Touch.

Any suggestions?

thnx,
mark_e_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Right-clicking and using "open with" or double-clicking MOBI files or using the Open With calibre plugin to open non-Amazon MOBI books with the Kindle for PC app won't work with v1.9.0 or v1.9.1. You have to physically copy the MOBI in question to the "My Kindle Content" folder yourself, for the app to view/recognize it.

This was supposedly a programmer's oversight and that's why the v1.9.1 update is no longer available from their website. They've reverted to v1.8.3 in the meantime. The next version is supposed to fix the issue when it gets released.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-08-2012 at 04:26 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
mark_e_h
Connoisseur

Aha! - those #!@*# programmers again...

Sure ... blame the programmers. It's always their fault.

In any case, a download of the Kindle reader today backed my installed version up to 1.83 and seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Right-clicking and using "open with" or double-clicking MOBI files or using the Open With calibre plugin to open non-Amazon MOBI books with the Kindle for PC app won't work with v1.9.0 or v1.9.1. You have to physically copy the MOBI in question to the "My Kindle Content" folder yourself, for the app to view/recognize it.

This was supposedly a programmer's oversight and that's why the v1.9.1 update is no longer available from their website. They've reverted to v1.8.3 in the meantime. The next version is supposed to fix the issue when it gets released.
For the record...

I have just visited the Amazon site, and downloaded and installed K4PC. It is version 1.9.1, and still has the problem. I expected to get 1.8.3, but no.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
For the record...

I have just visited the Amazon site, and downloaded and installed K4PC. It is version 1.9.1, and still has the problem. I expected to get 1.8.3, but no.
To be honest... I've never seen overly-compelling evidence that 1.9.1 was ever really "pulled." Only that some people still get 1.8.3 when they download the app. Perhaps the "supposed" programmer error is all hearsay. *shrugs*
Old 03-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
mark_e_h
Connoisseur

Well, I don't have an answer to these two posts.

What I can say is that I went to Amazon today, downloaded the Windows version of the Kindle reader, and installed it on my system.

The result was BOTH versions on my system. If i clicked on the old icon, the 1.9.1 ran. If I clicked on the icon that was newly installed, the 1.8.3 version ran.

So I can see how you could download from Amazon, install, and think that you still had the same, newer version. You need to start the version that you want.

The older version fixed the problem I had with Calibre-->Kindle reader.

Looking at the Window uninstall program, both versions are listed separately. So not a good Windows implementation IMO. But manageable. I will delete the 1.91 version from my system to avoid any confusion.

Maybe that will help.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_e_h View Post
The result was BOTH versions on my system. If i clicked on the old icon, the 1.9.1 ran. If I clicked on the icon that was newly installed, the 1.8.3 version ran.
Looking at the Window uninstall program, both versions are listed separately. So not a good Windows implementation IMO. But manageable. I will delete the 1.91 version from my system to avoid any confusion.
Well, that got me thinking. I double-checked my installation, and found I had two installations of K4PC 1.9.1 in the Win7 Start Menu. Both pointed to the same copy in the c:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Kindle folder!

The two Start Menu installations were, respectively, in folders called Amazon Kindle, and Amazon\Amazon Kindle. So, I used RevoPro and removed all trace of K4PC, from both the Program Files (x86) folder and the Start Menu.

I then re-installed from here. I now have installed K4PC 1.8.3, and the problem has disappeared. For the record, the Start Menu folder used is Amazon\Amazon Kindle.

Thanks to those who responded.

Last edited by BeeTee-Ess; 03-09-2012 at 10:56 PM.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
marcclarke
marcclarke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi + 3G)
Seeking Kindle for PC version 1.8.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
I then re-installed from here. I now have installed K4PC 1.8.3, and the problem has disappeared. For the record, the Start Menu folder used is Amazon\Amazon Kindle.
Sadly, the URL above yields Kindle for PC version 1.9.2 for me. Version 1.9.2 has the same problems with side-loading a ".MOBI" file as 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 have.

Could someone please suggest where I might find 1.8.3?

Last edited by marcclarke; 03-16-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Clarifiy version numbers.
marcclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
It's available here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_kindle_for_pc/11267/
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
marcclarke

Thumbs up Version 1.8.3 from FileHippo Downloaded, Installed, Tested, Works Properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
Many thanks. Google and I had just found it (in parallel). Uninstalled 1.9.1. Installed 1.8.3 from FileHippo. Had to re-register with Amazon (no problem). Tested. Works. Turned off automatic updates in the Kindle for PC software.

Once again a happy camper.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
mark_e_h
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
Sadly, the URL above yields Kindle for PC version 1.9.2 for me. Version 1.9.2 has the same problems with side-loading a ".MOBI" file as 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 have.
This seems somewhat concerning. This change was originally described as a "programming error." Given that it apparently has persisted for 3 versions, it seems to have become rather permanent.

I wonder if this is more about of cutting off Calibre access. Perhaps they realized that Calibre could affect their total control of Kindle owners, and reduce their revenue.

The recently announced U.S. antitrust actions will probably open up price competition for ebooks. I would like to be able to buy the cheapest version, and know I can convert it and have it run on my Kindle, or any other reader I choose to own.

Hmmmm...

Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This seems somewhat concerning. This change was originally described as a "programming error." Given that it apparently has persisted for 3 versions, it seems to have become rather permanent.
1.9.0 and 1.9.1 were both capable of opening/reading side-loaded, non-Amazon content. Just copy it to your "My Kindle Content" folder before starting the app. It'll be in your library when you next start the app.

Version 1.9.2 has fully restored my ability to double-click (or use "Open with") non-Amazon content in order to view/read it using the Kindle app. Version 1.9.2 is NOT suffering from the same issues as 1.9.0-1. Just wanted to clear that up.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
marcclarke

Quote:
1.9.0 and 1.9.1 were both capable of opening/reading side-loaded, non-Amazon content. Just copy it to your "My Kindle Content" folder before starting the app.
I confirm that.

Quote:
It'll be in your library when you next start the app.
I do *not* confirm that. Although I could copy a ".MOBI" file into my "My Kindle Content" folder I had to double-click on the MOBI file in my My Kindle Content folder to get the Kindle for PC program to open the MOBI file, and although I could read the MOBI file in K4PC I could not see the book's cover in the Library of K4PC.

Quote:
Version 1.9.2 has fully restored my ability to double-click (or use "Open with") non-Amazon content in order to view/read it using the Kindle app. Version 1.9.2 is NOT suffering from the same issues as 1.9.0-1. Just wanted to clear that up.
I do *not* confirm that. In fairness, I'll go through the whole uninstall, reboot, install, re-register process and repeat my tests on 1.9.2. Thanks for the tip and here's hoping that 1.9.2 does work properly.

UPDATE & CORRECTION: Version 1.9.2 *does* work properly. To get it to work I had to uninstall the prior version, reboot, and then install 1.9.2. Installing 1.9.2 without the uninstall and reboot resulted in 1.9.2 not working properly (for me, on my two test computers, your mileage may vary).

Thanks again to all for help and assistance on this issue.

Last edited by marcclarke; 03-18-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post

UPDATE & CORRECTION: Version 1.9.2 *does* work properly. To get it to work I had to uninstall the prior version, reboot, and then install 1.9.2. Installing 1.9.2 without the uninstall and reboot resulted in 1.9.2 not working properly (for me, on my two test computers, your mileage may vary).

Thanks again to all for help and assistance on this issue.
My 1.9.2 upgrade from 1.8.3 worked fine* from the start on WinXP. Perhaps the need to uninstall first only applies to machines that were "touched" by the bogus 1.9.0 and 1.9.1.

*"fine" as defined by the rude installer engineers at Amazon who think that an installation should reset any and all file associations for the various format extensions without asking permission and giving an option to opt out. Every upgrade requires that I spend several minutes re-doing my preferred default Open behavior (Kindle Previewer) with the accompanying recitation of a significant portion of my vocabulary of four letter Anglo-Saxon slang and the Feedback complaint I send when the app launches at the end of the upgrade install. At least I got a reply from Amazon's customer service this time.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote