Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
fallsauce
fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3
Best ereader with (simplified) Chinese support in Australia

I'm looking to buy an ereader for my boyfriend, who will primarily read simplified chinese ebooks (DRM-free epub). What is the best current gen ebook reader that I can buy in Australia or that will ship to Australia?

I've only researched the Kindle Touch and Sony PRS-T1

KT - doesn't support epub, but presumably Calibre will convert without much hassle. (I have a K3 but it doesn't show simplified chinese properly (some characters are boxes) - has this been fixed with the KT?)

PRS-T1 - doesn't support chinese unless a 3rd party app is installed (I assume the device has to be rooted first...). The features seem very impressive though. However, it's hugely overpriced in Australia (T1 is US$99 at the moment and AU$179 )

Haven't really heard anything good about the kobo and am leaning more towards touch screen devices... I don't think he'll be too fussed about the screen as long as the loading and page flipping is fast.

Any thoughts?
fallsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
humandroid
Connoisseur
humandroid began at the beginning.

Any Kindle with Duokan installed.
humandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Any good source for Chinese epubs? Properly formatted?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsauce View Post
PRS-T1 - doesn't support chinese unless a 3rd party app is installed (I assume the device has to be rooted first...). The features seem very impressive though. However, it's hugely overpriced in Australia (T1 is US$99 at the moment and AU$179 )
I'm not a Chinese reader myself, but you can read Chinese epubs on the Sony PRS-T1 without hacking the device. You would need to add one line of code to the .css file of every epub, which can be inserted manually or automatically if you are using the Calibre software to create your epubs. See this thread for the details if you are interested.

If you want to get an idea of what it looks like, you could attach a small sample Chinese epub (no copyright, no DRM) and I could try to photograph it for you.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote