Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
oliverbrama
oliverbrama began at the beginning.

Device: prs600
transferring book question for prs-600

Hi,
I have a strange problem with my reader. I downloaded a couple books and they downloaded with no problem. I can view them on the computer using my reader software. When I transfer the books from "library" to "reader" it shows that they have successfully transferred. When I go into my actual reader, the books show in my list of books, but when I try to open them it says "page protected" and they won't open. Any suggestions? I called Sony out of desperation and they said to delete the file off the computer and the reader, re-download the files. I tried that and it still won't work. What is really frustrating is that I can view the files on my computer with no problem, but when they transfer they don't work...
oliverbrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Is it a secured file? I had that happen to me with a PDF tatting book. It was a free download (long out of copyright) but the people that posted it protected the file so it could only be viewed on a computer and not a reader.

Open the file on your computer and look at the top of it. Does it say secured or something along those lines?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What format are these eBooks? If they are ePub, maybe the problem is that the ePub is not setup for the mobile standard. If they are ePub, convert them to ePub using Calibre and that should fix things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
oliverbrama
oliverbrama began at the beginning.

Device: prs600
hi,
thanks for the suggestions - the books don't say secured or anything similar. I downloaded Calibre and ran them through it, and I'm still having the same problem. They are readable on my computer in the reader software or in the calibre program, and they transfer to my reader and show up in the book list, but when I try to open them in the reader it just says "page error!" Any other suggestions? worst case, i guess I can just read them on the computer...
oliverbrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
If it's, for example, a scanned book then turned into ePub, like some sites offer it's likely the file is too large. There is some sort of limit to what size ePub "chapters" can be on the Sony. The book has to be correctly formatted. A scanned book, turned into one single file will probably not be read bu the reader.
Someone had a similar issue with a bible not very long ago, and I also remember someone having problem with certain classic Public Domain books.

Here's one of the topics where this was discussed:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124349

Last edited by Asawi; 03-12-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverbrama View Post
hi,
thanks for the suggestions - the books don't say secured or anything similar. I downloaded Calibre and ran them through it, and I'm still having the same problem. They are readable on my computer in the reader software or in the calibre program, and they transfer to my reader and show up in the book list, but when I try to open them in the reader it just says "page error!" Any other suggestions? worst case, i guess I can just read them on the computer...
What do you mean by 'ran them through' Calibre. Just using Calibre to load the book onto the viewer isn't enough, you have to run through a EPUB to EPUB book conversion.

After this you will also have to make sure to delete the copy on your reader before transferring it again.

If that doesn't work try EPUB to MOBI and follow that with a MOBI to EPUB and then delete the copy on the reader and transfer the version resulting from this double conversion.

This will overwrite your Calibre copy, so make sure that you have the original somewhere else so you can re-import it into Calibre if this doesn't work.

Last edited by delphin; 03-14-2011 at 12:11 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote