Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Is it worth the inch?

What's the difference between the PRS-650 versus the 350 besides the 1" screen difference. Is it worth the upgrade?
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
I think 350 does not have expansion slots.
Anyway 1" is more than it sounds.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
The 650 can play mp3 and acc audio files (has a headphone jack), the 350 can't play any audio.
The 650 can take an sd card or memory stick, 350 can't.
The 650 comes in red, black or silver. The 350 in silver, pink or blue.
(Obviously, size and weight are different between the two models.)
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
I have both the PRS-300 and 600: the 6" 600 is the better read; the 5" 300 is easier to carry.

Given one choice, I would choose the 6" model. However, I generally take the 300 with me when I'm gonna go somewhere and wait (doctor's office, wife shopping, etc).

I plan on buying a PRS-650 since my 600 requires too much light to see clearly and the reflections are difficult to deal with. Also, it may be that the 650's smaller size will be enough so that I may seldom use the 300 at all; we'll see --.

Joe
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
In terms of screen real estate you have to think in visible screen-area rather than in lengths.
If you compare lenth, the 5" model is "only" 17% smaller than the 6". In terms of screen area, this is almost 30%.

I haven't played with a 5" model yet, and I can see the point of portability, but it could be that its just a little on the small side.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Minton View Post
Given one choice, I would choose the 6" model. However, I generally take the 300 with me when I'm gonna go somewhere and wait (doctor's office, wife shopping, etc).
I see your problem, you are reading while shopping for a wife. It might work better if you looked around more instead of at your reader. Or maybe the 'bigger is better' clause should be used here, and you should pull out the 'big gun'.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I see your problem, you are reading while shopping for a wife. It might work better if you looked around more instead of at your reader. Or maybe the 'bigger is better' clause should be used here, and you should pull out the 'big gun'.
I was wondering when someone would bring up the double entendre!

I had the 300 and yes the 5" screen is smaller and more portable, but it was easy for me to read on. But I guess it comes down to what size font you need. I almost always used the smallest font size so I got a lot of text on the 5" screen. If your eyes require the medium are large font size then a 5" screen might be too small for you.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
Depends on what sort of wife one is shopping for ;o)
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
In terms of screen real estate you have to think in visible screen-area rather than in lengths.
If you compare lenth, the 5" model is "only" 17% smaller than the 6". In terms of screen area, this is almost 30%.

I haven't played with a 5" model yet, and I can see the point of portability, but it could be that its just a little on the small side.
When I played with the 350 and 650 in the store, I tried loading up the same ebook excerpt (the one on the far right on the default home screen) on both devices. I then made sure they were both using the same font size ("M"). It appeared to me that the characters on both devices were the same size. I don't know if these devices have the same dpi, or if Sony has scaled the fonts to maintain consistency in font sizes despite screen size, if it was somehow specific to the included ebook excerpts (maybe they have custom excerpts for each device), or if maybe my eyes deceived me.

It would be pretty interesting if Sony has normalized font sizes across their Readers, and the only thing smaller/bigger screens get you is less/more space to display the text. Since you can't put memcards in the 350 (and I don't plan to get a 350), I don't know if I'll ever be able to confirm this with arbitrary epubs, but maybe someone else can.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
sigma8
Sony's firmware takes physical DPI into account. By the way also on the older devices.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
What's the difference between the PRS-650 versus the 350 besides the 1" screen difference. Is it worth the upgrade?
Yes, yes and yes.
6" is quite bigger than 5".
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:52 AM   #12
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
My own experience of using the 6" 505 and the 5" 300 is that the added portability of the 300 (it fitted easily in to a jacket pocket) was a bigger plus than the loss of sceen size.

I never played music on my 505 and never used the SD card slot. So, I did not miss those.

If these extra features of the 650 are not of interest to you, then I cannot say the added screen size is worth the extra money.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If you have the ability to see one in person before buying, I strongly suggest you do so. Both the 350 and 650 are smaller than their previous 300 and 600 versions. I compared the 300 to the 650, and the 650's external dimensions are only a little bigger than the 300's. So if portability is your only criteria, you may find the 650 (with it's larger screen) a good choice.

Of course, my preference is influenced by my age...my eyes are starting to need slightly larger fonts. So as much as I like the size of 300 for carrying in my purse, I want to have a little more screen available so I'm not turning pages with every paragraph or so.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #14
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
FizzyWater makes some excellent points. Especially the font size - all my reading is done using the smallest font, indeed I often change the style sheet to reduce the font size further. I can imagine the 5" screen could be a real pain in the rear with the large font (perhaps even the medium).
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #15
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma8 View Post
When I played with the 350 and 650 in the store, I tried loading up the same ebook excerpt (the one on the far right on the default home screen) on both devices. I then made sure they were both using the same font size ("M"). It appeared to me that the characters on both devices were the same size. I don't know if these devices have the same dpi, or if Sony has scaled the fonts to maintain consistency in font sizes despite screen size, if it was somehow specific to the included ebook excerpts (maybe they have custom excerpts for each device), or if maybe my eyes deceived me.

It would be pretty interesting if Sony has normalized font sizes across their Readers, and the only thing smaller/bigger screens get you is less/more space to display the text. Since you can't put memcards in the 350 (and I don't plan to get a 350), I don't know if I'll ever be able to confirm this with arbitrary epubs, but maybe someone else can.
I checked yesterday and the 300 and the 600 had the same screen resolution. I played once with them side by side and yes, I had the feeling that the only difference was, that the 6" model showed more of a page.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote