Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
majutsu
majutsu began at the beginning.

Device: None
One Step Away from buing an iRex - Please fix battery issues

Well, my dream of having an iRex is one step closer with the new reader and suitably sized screen.

But from reviews I have read, the battery life is still an issue. The whole point of e-Ink paper was that it required no energy to display content. Yet the iRex readers are built in such a way to be empty by the end of the day if used because of the underlying hardware -- I can't even remember to charge my cell phone once a week half the time. Considering that, a one week working life is something I would want first.

Ideally, the reader should wake up to turn the page or whatnot and go right back to sleep again - not running full speed the entire time.

One question - turned off, will the display keep the last page read or is it blank?

Last edited by majutsu; 10-30-2008 at 08:35 AM.
majutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Roland K
Roland K began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000S
blank, while in suspend to ram it should preserve the display of course.
Roland K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
I guess I'll disagree. In an occasion where I was deliberately trying to run out of battery power, I managed to do so, and the screen stayed as it is.
I was surprised to see it, and I'm wrong please someone correct me, but if you cut the power, the screen seems to stay with the last content displayed. If this is wrong, then I'd like to know how on earth my dying battery lasted for over 40 mins before I found a laptop and plugged in the cable. That immediately powered it up, the screen was refreshed and the device booted. That's the reason I believe the device will see a very significant increase in its usage time once the power management is implemented.

Best Regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
well, it actually takes power to refresh the screen to "white", so technically, if it indeed suddenly ran out of juice, the scenario you sketch is the more likely
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
I was surprised to see it, and I'm wrong please someone correct me, but if you cut the power, the screen seems to stay with the last content displayed.
This is the way that all eInk screens behave.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
I guess I'll disagree. In an occasion where I was deliberately trying to run out of battery power, I managed to do so, and the screen stayed as it is.
I was surprised to see it, and I'm wrong please someone correct me, but if you cut the power, the screen seems to stay with the last content displayed.
Yes, but that's a special case. If you turn off the device using the power switch, then it will deliberately blank the screen before it shuts down. If you cut power, then whatever was last on the screen will stay there.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You can see this behavior, at least in the Cybook, when you hit the reset button on the back. The image stays the same indefinitely.
The image stays the same until you boot the unit again.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The iLiad does the same thing, a reset doesn't blank the screen. It confuses a lot of people though, because they think that because the screen still has an image on it that the reset didn't work. They don't realize the device really has been reset.

This is also why they intentionally blank the screen when you hit the power switch. Technically eInk can keep the same static image on the screen when it's turned off, but the manufacturers of the devices decided not to do it that way. People found it too confusing.

I don't know for sure about the DR, but I assume it has the same behavior.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
A reset on a DR1000 blanks the screen and it forces the DR1000 to attempt to re-start. On the other e-Ink devices, a reset forces them to switch off, leaving the last image on the screen indefinitely.

You can't hit the power switch to turn off a DR1000, as its a software only shutdown. Run out of power and the last image stays on the screen, as sarikan found.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote