Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Who gets frustrated buing ebooks?

OK, I know ebooks are reasonably "new" technology (like they've only been out for several years), but are books publishers ever going to get serious about this cutting edge technology? Another frustrating experience this morning as I searched for some of the OUP's very useful "A Very Short Introduction" series. Oxford Press' site seems to be "unaware" that they even sell ebooks (or have them so well hidden that they are invisible). Trying to find which of the series was actually in epub format was an exercise in frustration, going to individual bookstore sites and trying to find (1) the series and (2) what formats were available for each book.
Oh - there is an "ebook" version of Oxford's catalogue for this series. It's slow to load, impossible to read ..... well, why do I bother? And it still only links to the paperback versions of each book.
If it was only OUP I would just assume they are behind the times, but trying to find any academic book can send my usually healthy blood pressure into meltdown. Ebooks.com now has a "beta" version of an academic books site, but still far from adequate let alone perfect. (No search by format?) At least they are trying.
Publishers - ebooks will not go away if you ignore them, they are not just for detective fiction, they are not just a fad. Get serious.

Last edited by CazMar; 11-25-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: And so frustrated I couldn't spell "buying"!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I still buy a good number of print books because such publishers don't publish them digitally. I'd like to see that change as well.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert