Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Spring Design Alex

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #31
kejia
Enthusiast
kejia began at the beginning.

Device: alex ereader
I have to ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's awesome! I'm posting from it right now.
If it's so awesome, why are you selling it? I wouldn't sell mine!
kejia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #32
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kejia View Post
If it's so awesome, why are you selling it? I wouldn't sell mine!
Because I only have so much money, and I already have far more e-readers than I could possibly use.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #33
kejia
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
If you look at the user guide (page 54 of 128): There should be cover graphics (at least) for HTML, ePUB and PDF, instead of a "naked" symbol.
I find that very convenient, nice to look at on my nook.
If you've got a LCD screen and plenty of room, this would be nice to have.
Write to Spring Design https://www.springdesign.com/us/support/contact.action and ask them to put it in the next software update!
Old 05-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #34
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kejia View Post
Write to Spring Design https://www.springdesign.com/us/support/contact.action and ask them to put it in the next software update!
Did so a few hours ago, waiting for their response.
NNolan made it work for at least 1 book. If it never would have worked, it would be easier to explain. But I guess I've already tried more or less every single scenario: With and without DRM, drag and drop, download, various file formats and sources, ...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #35
kejia
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Because I only have so much money, and I already have far more e-readers than I could possibly use.
Ah! As I commented after your excellent review, the Alex is my only reader, and I own neither a smartphone nor an ipod-touch -- nothing against either but my dumb phone and nano are working just fine. It was an ereader that I lacked, and I'm happy to have one with extras.

Also, as a library ebook user, I am hoping to read these on my Alex, at least as soon as I can get Alex and ADE to cooperate. ADE cooperates with purchased epub books, but not yet with the overdrive library epubs.
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #36
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I guess I got "The Moonstone" from Google Books, not from Gutenberg. I've got another book from there that same day, "The Red House Mystery", and that also has a little cover icon that displays in the LCD. These books show up in "Library->Titles" listings with an icon of little red and green books on the far right side of the screen. The ones I downloaded from Kobo through ADE just show an icon for the SD card in that same position.

I'm still having problems keeping the WiFi connected, so I haven't been able to download anything today. It's weird, my iPad doesn't have WiFi problems but my Alex does.

------------------

I just got a solid WiFi connection long enough to download another book from Google. I picked one with some cover art, and it shows up on the Alex just like the other two.
This may be a difference in the files that come from the various sources.

Last edited by NNolan; 05-01-2010 at 05:17 PM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #37
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I guess I got "The Moonstone" from Google Books, not from Gutenberg. I've got another book from there that same day, "The Red House Mystery", and that also has a little cover icon that displays in the LCD. These books show up in "Library->Titles" listings with an icon of little red and green books on the far right side of the screen. The ones I downloaded from Kobo through ADE just show an icon for the SD card in that same position.

I'm still having problems keeping the WiFi connected, so I haven't been able to download anything today. It's weird, my iPad doesn't have WiFi problems but my Alex does.

------------------

I just got a solid WiFi connection long enough to download another book from Google. I picked one with some cover art, and it shows up on the Alex just like the other two.
This may be a difference in the files that come from the various sources.
Can you direct me to a book, for which the cover has been working? I've been trying half a dozen already...
Old 05-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #38
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=TQY...page&q&f=false

Or this one:

http://books.google.com/books?id=OuK...page&q&f=false

I've done direct downloads over WiFi for these using the "Bookstore" browser, rather than using ADE.

Last edited by NNolan; 05-01-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #39
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Try this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=TQY...page&q&f=false

Or this one:

http://books.google.com/books?id=OuK...page&q&f=false

I've done direct downloads over WiFi for these using the "Bookstore" browser, rather than using ADE.
Thanks. I've just found one myself from Google.
It's rather pixelated, but at least it's working.
Strange though, that all of my original files (DRMed or deDRMed as well) don't work...
Old 05-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #40
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

And my WiFi works ok if I'm on the opposite end of the house from the router. Go figure...
Old 05-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #41
kejia
Enthusiast

Quote:
And my WiFi works ok if I'm on the opposite end of the house from the router. Go figure...
Mine works best when it's on shelf above router.