Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #61
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
The Manga also has a faster processor. i bought one for my wife as an upgrade to her regular paperwhite, and it is a bit more responsive.
I don't believe the CPU is different. Storage is faster, though, so perhaps improved responsiveness is a side effect of that?

Paperwhite 4GB
Code:
[kterm]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 1987.37
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x2
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 10

Hardware        : Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite based Wario Board
Revision        : 60000
Paperwhite 32GB Manga
Code:
[kterm]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 1987.37
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x2
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 10

Hardware        : Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite based Wario Board
Revision        : 60000
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
The Manga also has a faster processor. i bought one for my wife as an upgrade to her regular paperwhite, and it is a bit more responsive.
I seem to remember an article that mentioned the speed increase but stated it was due to a firmware update since the processor did not change between the 4GB and 32GB Paperwhites.

Here's the link: Kindle Firmware 5.8.5 Adds Faster Page Turns for Comic Books, Manga

Last edited by DNSB; 03-19-2018 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added article link
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #63
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe the older firmware is faster then the newer firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I seem to remember an article that mentioned the speed increase but stated it was due to a firmware update since the processor did not change between the 4GB and 32GB Paperwhites.

Here's the link: Kindle Firmware 5.8.5 Adds Faster Page Turns for Comic Books, Manga
The speed difference could certainly be attributed to the firmware. I didn't examine the devices closely, only that my wife noticed the difference.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:23 AM   #64
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Manga Paperwhites are back up at Woot.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...nd_cat_pc_3_33

So are Kindle Keyboards, Kindle Touches and Kindle 4NTs.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #65
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Manga Paperwhites are back up at Woot.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...nd_cat_pc_3_33

So are Kindle Keyboards, Kindle Touches and Kindle 4NTs.
All gone except 7th generation Kindle Basic units.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #66
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
All gone except 7th generation Kindle Basic units.
That didn't take long. Either they didn't have as many this time, or the eBay resellers jumped in quicker. But I would keep checking. Sometimes what's available when Woot is selling refurbished Kindles can be pretty fluid.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #67
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That didn't take long. Either they didn't have as many this time, or the eBay resellers jumped in quicker. But I would keep checking. Sometimes what's available when Woot is selling refurbished Kindles can be pretty fluid.
50% bought 1, 50% bought 3 or more. I'm guessing eBay resellers. It was gone by 5am.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #68
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
50% bought 1, 50% bought 3 or more. I'm guessing eBay resellers. It was gone by 5am.
I forgot that you could look up those stats on Woot. So it definitely looks like eBay resellers this time. Good news is that, if there get to be too many of them on eBay, the price might come down there (not as cheap as Woot, but maybe reasonable).
Old 03-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #69
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I forgot that you could look up those stats on Woot. So it definitely looks like eBay resellers this time. Good news is that, if there get to be too many of them on eBay, the price might come down there (not as cheap as Woot, but maybe reasonable).
I reckon I'll just wait until Woot gets more in stock. At $90, it was worth getting a spare. Not so much at $130+.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #70
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I reckon I'll just wait until Woot gets more in stock. At $90, it was worth getting a spare. Not so much at $130+.
It looks like the $150 ones have jumped up to $160, so I may be wrong about the market getting saturated on eBay.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #71
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Back in stock.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...b-6-e-reader-3

Hopefully, they don't cancel my order this time.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #72
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Back in stock.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...b-6-e-reader-3

Hopefully, they don't cancel my order this time.
Fingers crossed, but it looks like they're still in stock – so you should get one this time.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #73
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I ordered one from last week and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived without the special offers. Yay, no ads.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #74
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Fingers crossed, but it looks like they're still in stock – so you should get one this time.
Woohoo, just got my tracking number.

Hope this one's on 5.8.7.0.1, too.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #75
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
and now they're sold out.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote