Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
gadhen
gadhen began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 626 Touch Lux 3
PocketBook Touch Lux 3 (626) - persistent horizontal lines/bars on screen problem

Hi,

So, since this year my Touch Lux 3 started displaying horizontal lines in the middle of the screen.
They do not disappear after full page fresh.
They are displayed on every screen.
They are displayed when device sleeps.
They are displayed when device is off.

Firmware version: E626.5.14.1227 release date 20170718_041540.
Customizations: CoolReader added and set as default reading app for txt, epub and html.

It's long past warranty so I've opened it up (back cover only so far) and checked those flat rainbow connectors. All tried connecting and reconnecting them (all 3 of them - backlight, display, touchscreen) but it didn't help.

Plus, after leaving it for night for charging the lines appears to be wider (or there are more of them).

It now looks like this

Code:
https://imgur.com/a/MTlYt
Right now I'm trying to discharge it to see if the lines gradually disappear.

Has anyone seen something like this?

Last edited by gadhen; 03-01-2018 at 01:30 PM.
gadhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:53 AM   #2
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
This looks very much like a hardware problem in the connection between the screen controller chip and the screen or within the screen itself. If you're lucky, it's the latter, and swapping in a new screen assembly might do the trick. But given that the screen is the biggest cost factor in eReader devices and you're out of warranty, this may not be cost-effective.

So unless you're really good with electronic hardware (or know someone who is), your best bet is probably to start looking for a new device, since finding someone who can repair this, and for less than a new device would cost you, seems rather improbable to me.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
I’ve seen it (exactly the same fault) on the yotaphone 2, a commonly reported fault on that device, which tends to overheat during various operations.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
gadhen
gadhen began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 626 Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
This looks very much like a hardware problem in the connection between the screen controller chip and the screen or within the screen itself.
Thanks.
I was afraid that's the case. I will try getting it discharged to safe level and check if the lines change.
If not I'll look for a screen replacement as there are some on aliexpress for around 60 USD (with free shipping conversion rates that's about 1/2 price of new Touch Lux 3). Looks like they all comes with those 3 connectors attached.
However, if it's a controller then I'll probably buy a new device.

Right now I'll observe how it's behaving...and keep reading in vertical mode
gadhen is offline   Reply With Quote