Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I gave the following books five stars:

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
The Peregrine by J A Baker
The Art of Time Travel: Historians and their craft by Tom Griffiths
Defying Hitler by Sebastian Haffner
Music and Freedom by Zoe Morrison
Mothering Sunday by Graham Swift

Last edited by Bookpossum; 12-15-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #17
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Books read are for me like ships passing in fog, visible for a minute while reading them, then disappear into the murk of my mind after :.

But if prodded by another, the fog clears and I can also give 5 stars to Lucky Jim.

I can remember, barely , the book I am currently reading and 5 stars to that too, Walter Isaacson's Leonardo da Vinci; am about halfway through.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My five favorite books of the year are:
  • His Bloody Project, by Graeme Macrae Burnet
  • Unraveling Oliver, by Liz Nugent
  • The Chilbury Ladies Choir, by Jennifer Ryan
  • Dead Woman Walking, by Sharon Bolton
  • The Fire by Night, by Teresa Messineo
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:37 PM   #19
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Books read are for me like ships passing in fog, visible for a minute while reading them, then disappear into the murk of my mind after :.
That's one of the reasons I built myself a spreadsheet to track my reading with. I used to have between 10 and 20 authors that I would go to over and over and over again because I couldn't remember other authors I really liked.

I also use GoodReads now to track what I read but they don't have enough numbers for me.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #20
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
That's one of the reasons I built myself a spreadsheet to track my reading with. I used to have between 10 and 20 authors that I would go to over and over and over again because I couldn't remember other authors I really liked.

I also use GoodReads now to track what I read but they don't have enough numbers for me.
My excel spreadsheet is not QUITE as shiny as your google sheet, but its awfully close

It also taught me more about excel than years of using it for measuring academic metrics.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #21
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
It was a dead tree book. From the Land of Green Ghosts, by Pascal Khoo Thwe. I read it at home, but didn't want to carry it so didn't take it with me on holiday, then I bought a second copy to read while I was away in Myanmar. Apparently it was banned there until quite recently. He doesn't pull any punches about the regime that he lived under.
It's a wonderful book. I brought the second copy home with me and read it again on the flight home.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
My personal favourites from this year (new, not re-reads):

As you'll see, most of these are the latest books in a long running and favourite series. Only one non-fiction, though I could have added one or two more but they were work related. Boring, but necessary. What I haven't shown here are all the books I've re-read and really loved the second (or third, or umpteenth) time around. Those are becoming more and more of my reading.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
It was a dead tree book. From the Land of Green Ghosts, by Pascal Khoo Thwe. I read it at home, but didn't want to carry it so didn't take it with me on holiday, then I bought a second copy to read while I was away in Myanmar. Apparently it was banned there until quite recently. He doesn't pull any punches about the regime that he lived under.
It's a wonderful book. I brought the second copy home with me and read it again on the flight home.

I admit it; I'm tickled. And delighted. Because as I recall, I suggested this to you when you were compiling your list of books for your trip. I had forgotten I had read this as a DTB until you couldn't find it in ebook.

This is why we recommend books!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Looking back at the books that I liked this year, a lot of them were not published this year.

Published this year
Fiction
- Lockwood & Co book 5, The Empty Grave - Stroud really is a talented writer.
- Artemis - Andy Weir
Non Fiction
- The Storm before the Storm, by Mike Duncan - Great read on the period of Roman history from the fall of Carthage to the death of Sulla.

Really, I thought the picking were kind of slim this year. Not a whole lot where I was totally wowed. Some favored authors who put out workman like books, but nothing that keep me up reading all night.

I did discover a few writers this year who had been around.
My favorite was Marc Alan Edelheit's Stiger series.

I did pick up several other series that were good enough that I bought the set, but they were all more along the lines of solid workman like, rather than stay up all night reading because I couldn't put it down.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #25
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

I admit it; I'm tickled. And delighted. Because as I recall, I suggested this to you when you were compiling your list of books for your trip. I had forgotten I had read this as a DTB until you couldn't find it in ebook.

Thanks very much to you both. I hadn't heard of this book, looked it up, and immediately placed an order for it.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #26
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:

You did indeed. And thank you again. Many people suggested books, and although I didn't read all of them, I did read all the samples. It made for an interesting list. The blog is still up if anyone is interested.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #27
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I spent a lot of the year re-reading old favorites. I had a hard time finding new books that interested me. A lot of those that did are on CRussel's list: The Gathering Edge, To Fire Called, Convergence (though only the Bren half). And I have him to blame for going way past my budget by reading the first Ada Lee novel and racing through the next eight. My library only had the first four and ran out of interest and/or money so I had to buy the rest. One reviewer called them slick, fast-moving escapism and I think that pretty much nails them.

After vowing never to read another in the Imager series by LE Modesitt, I broke down and read the latest one, Assasin's Price, and was pleasantly surprised. Told from the standpoint of a Rex, rather than an Imager, and no military battles. Plus, Modesitt's writing normally has almost as many quirks as Rafael Nadal's serve, but we didn't get many descriptions of meals or women's dresses as usual. True, everyone inclined their heads at every opportunity, but at least nobody "repaired" anywhere. As in, "He repaired to the sitting room and sat in the chair."--a genteelism the author's unaccountably fond of usually.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #28
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm not really sorry I got you started on the Ava Lee book, they're just such fun. And just to get your new year budget off to a good start, there's a new one due out at the beginning of January.

As for Imager, I know what you mean. But I somehow keep getting the new ones.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #29
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
So far I've read 27 books this year. Of those 12 of those were re-reads.

Books I enjoyed in 2017 (8/10 or higher, * are re-reads)
  • Harry Potter books 1-3*
  • The Ragged Astronauts - Bob Shaw*
  • The Blazing World - Margaret Cavendish
  • Stories of Your Life and Others - Ted Chiang*
  • Expecting Someone Taller - Tom Holt*
  • Odds On - John Lange (Michael Crichton)
  • Lord Foul's Bane - Stephen Donaldson*

Books I read published in 2017:
  • Hannah Green and her Unfeasibly Mundane Existence - Michael Marshall Smith (8/10)
  • How to Stop Time - Matt Haig (8/10)
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #30
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm not really sorry I got you started on the Ava Lee book, they're just such fun. And just to get your new year budget off to a good start, there's a new one due out at the beginning of January.
Yes, and a new Foreigner book as well. Santa had better come through with Amazon gift cards.

I've started reading Ancillary Justice, meanwhile. Very slow going!

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, best of, favorite books