Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-22-2016, 04:54 AM   #1
bigalogigalo
bigalogigalo began at the beginning.

Device: None
UK based, can read both EPUB and AZW files?

Hi there,

I'm looking for an e-ink, backlight e-reader which can read both EPUBS and AZW without conversions.

I'd also really like to be able to have access to a huge range of books on the e-reader.

I'd like to be able to take out e-books from the library (EPUB) and put them on the e-reader.

My wife has a Nook simple touch. We can take out e-books from the library via the website, and transfer them via the pc. It also has access to a good range of books. HOWEVER, Nook have withdrawn from the UK market so that's not an option. Nor can we access Amazon books, which we would like to.

I know that Kindles only do amazon files, which means I can't withdraw the library books and use them on there without conversion. I don't want to convert them as I want to keep it as simple as possible, if it's too complicated then my wife will struggle with the process.

Kobo seems to be an option but I don't know what the online store is like. Also, it reads Mobi files, which aren't azw. So how would I get amazon files onto the device?

Are there any other options?

I'd rather not get a tablet.

Thanks in advance!
bigalogigalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:01 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could get an Onyx Boox i86 8" Reader that uses Android so you can install the Kindle app and be able to read both ePub and KF8.

http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...ont-light.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
bigalogigalo
bigalogigalo began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a cheaper equivalent? The Simple Touch was £50. I would hope for between £50 - £100 ideally?
bigalogigalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I think you are asking for a great deal for a low price. You'd need to go down the tablet route to fit within your budget.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I rather agree with Josieb1, that a tablet is probably your cheapest bet to fit all of your requirements - save for the fact it will be a backlit lcd screen (a killer failing for me).

As JSWolf has mentioned, the alternative is an android eink device (search for Icarus or Onyx for examples) but in the UK you will do well to get anything decent of that sort under £100.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You cannot read Amazon files on a non-Amazon device/app if the file has DRM.
And you cannot read non-Amazon files on an Amazon device/app if the file has DRM.
Depending on the non-Amzon device, you might be able to exchange the files between device brands.

Basically, if you don't want to use calibre plus the DeDRM tools, your only option is a smartphone/tablet (possibly the E-Ink tablets by Onyx et al.)

Suggestion: convert the Amazon-purchased books for your wife, and get a Kobo since it plays nicely with the EPUB-only non-US library scene.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalogigalo View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a cheaper equivalent? The Simple Touch was £50. I would hope for between £50 - £100 ideally?
You could root the Simple Touch and install the Kindle app. But, you would have to find an old version of the Kindle app that would run on an old version Android and support KF8. I don't know if that's possible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote