Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #1
Phoenix57
Phoenix57 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple Touch Glow
Is there any way to download my nook library

Hi, I'm not sure I'm in the right place for this question but here goes. I have a nook glow plus, probably have a simple touch glow around somewhere as well but reading on the glow plus. I have around 800 books in my B&N Nook library, unfortunately I never knew to download them to my computer. Is there any way to do that now? And if there is could someone explain how to do it? It used to be when I plugged my nook into my computer it showed up as a device, but it doesn't show up on my macbook at all. I had posted in another thread and was told to put Nook study on and or Nook for Mac. I put both on my mac however neither will connect to B&N. I am so frustrated, I wanted to put all my books in calibre or another such program so I could keep and manage them, please tell me I am not SOL on actually getting my books.
Phoenix57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The replies to you post in this thread should help..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...246519&page=86
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2016, 12:20 AM   #3
Phoenix57

I tried them and have posted my results over there. no luck at all Do you know why my Mac can't see the nook when it is plugged in the USB?
Old 04-02-2016, 12:26 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix57 View Post
I tried them and have posted my results over there. no luck at all Do you know why my Mac can't see the nook when it is plugged in the USB?
Do you have Android file transfer installed on the Mac? IIRC that's needed for it to see the Glowlight Plus.

EDIT: From the Glowlight Plus FAQ on B&N's website...
Quote:
Note: To transfer files from a Mac, you must first install the Android File Transfer application on your computer. Once this application is installed, your NOOK will be recognized by your Mac and you can use Android File Transfer to transfer the files from your computer. To get the most recent version of Android File Transfer, please visit https://www.android.com/filetransfer

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-02-2016 at 12:28 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:09 AM   #5
Phoenix57

Thanks I installed the android transfer app on my Mac and now it "sees" the nook unfortunately it doesn't show any files on it even tho I have almost 800 books. I guess they are in hidden folders or something. Do you know if there is a way to find them?
ChrisAnn
Advert
Old 04-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
You can still use this http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2012/0...d-card-as.html

You'll need to find that Simple Touch Glowlight since the Glowlight Plus lacks the SD card required.

You wont be able to access the BN purchased books on your Plus without rooting it, which if you want to do then look over on the xda forums as I believe they've got it done. That said the last I was aware it wasn't a simple process.

For the method I suggested you'll pretty much need to know how to follow instructions, none are overly complex though I think you may need to use -gasp- the Terminal for OS X. I don't recall as I set up a Nook to do this years ago and still have the SD card floating around.

And unless BN decides to update the firmware for a line of devices they have literally ignored for years this wont break unlike the Nook Study/Nook for Mac/PC method.

eta- if your goal is Calibre managment you'll also probably want to investigate Alf and DRM which can be done in a google search. Otherwise you may be limited in terms of what you can do with the ebooks.

Last edited by MGlitch; 04-02-2016 at 10:01 AM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
Phoenix57

Thank you so much for the information. I may be fairly computer illiterate, I can however follow directions pretty well
PS would it be easier to do on my old vista desktop?

Last edited by Phoenix57; 04-02-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It may be, I only had a Mac back when I originally set things up.

I do have to apologize, I thought the Clockwork bit had instructions on the main page. You'll need to know how to write a disk image file to a disk (in this case the disk is the micro SD card). A google search should bring up instructions for whichever OS you want to use to do this, it's not just dragging and dropping but it shouldn't be hard.

You'll need two micro SD cards, one for the Clockwork + download to sd card script, and one which will be used as the storage.

The hardest part will be setting up the Clockwork SD card. After that you just copy the glowworm script to it and follow the instructions on the page I linked to. The clockwork files can be found via a link from that page, I'd suggest using the 128mb image, it doesn't matter what size SD card you use as long as it's equal or greater than that size.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
Phoenix57

Ok, this might require me to get one of my friends that is much more computer savvy than me, pretty sure he can be bribed with food and or beer 👀😊
Old 04-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard

When you do, if you use the Mac, you can also provide them with http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com...ard-from-a-mac

It's not specific to this, but it should get a computer savy person to a point that they can do this for you. This is just for creating the clockwork SD card from the clockwork.img file. Which again is the hardest part. After this you just plug the card back in to your Mac and drag and drop the script from the glow worm page I linked to originally.

Then you can follow the instructions on the glow worm page and you'll be set.

Hope you can get this going, BN seems to really want to clamp down on allowing customers to download their purchased books.

Another possibility occurred to me, if you have access to a computer running Windows 10 then you can install the Nook app through the Microsoft store (it's free). This one still should work without an issue. You'll need to enable hidden folders to find the ebooks it downloads. This is an easy thing to do.

However even if you do have access to a Windows 10 computer I would still suggest getting the micro SD card trick up and running as there is no way of knowing if or when BN will disable access for the Nook App for Win 10.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #11
Phoenix57

TY, I don't have windows 10 but I'm sure someone I know does. Another question, I don't have the simple touch glow right now I do however have the nook HD tablet would I be able to do what I need to on it? If not then I will just pick up another STG I actually like it better than the new glow plus anyway.
I really appreciate all your help BTW
Old 04-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet; Nook HD+; Nook Samsung Tab 3
Unfortunately, all Nook tablets after the original Nook color hide the ebooks in a hidden file inaccessible without rooting it. If you have access to a Nook color, you still will be able to see the books on the device when you connect it to your computer.
Patchicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard

The guy who made the mod I linked to theorized it could work for the tablets but I don't know if it was ever tested.

Picking up another STG is probably a wise move though you'll have to look for it at second hand stores or eBay since BN has been out of the model with an SD card. The easy way to tell is if it's a black device then you're set. If it's white keep looking.

Also the Nook Color may have allowed access to the purchased books early on, but I'm reasonably sure that was changed in a firmware update.

The only Nook which has always allowed access to purchased books without any tweaking is the first edition Nook which was an eink device with a color touch screen at the bottom which had the controls. Bn never changed this and they've had years to do so.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 PM   #14
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet; Nook HD+; Nook Samsung Tab 3
I still have a Nook color, and when I connect it to my computer, I can see the books on it which I purchased from Barnes & Noble. I also have a Nook Tablet, a Nook HD+ and the Samsung Galaxy 3 Nook. I cannot see the books on those.
Patchicat is offline   Reply With Quote