Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #31
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
The serial number is the same, but .kobo/version continues with information about the Linux kernel and firmware version in an oddly redundant manner (2.6.35.3,3.7.0,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000370).

However, it just occurred to me that it might be some kind of manufacturing timestamp in the form of #_YYMMDDHHMM, assuming my device was manufactured about two months ago.
Makes sense, if so I would also expect some plant/factory ID as well.

My AuraHD version shows the same kernel info:
2.6.35.3,3.5.0,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000350

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-19-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #32
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Makes sense, if so I would also expect some plant/factory ID as well.
I suppose the number underscore preceding it could be something like that.
Advert
Old 11-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #33
hwtan13
hwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy bluehwtan13 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: KK 3G, KT, KPW, NTG
Hi anyone is able to share the sdcard image? Thanks
Old 11-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #34
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #35
hhashemi
hhashemi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Hi everyone,
I got a KOBO H2O, and messed it up on day 1.
Can anyone send me the SD image?
Thanks
Advert
Old 11-15-2014, 02:31 AM   #36
handocjo
handocjo doesn't litterhandocjo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura One
Can you share the sdcard image?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
PM sent.
Can you share the Aura H2o sdcard image? Thanks
Old 11-15-2014, 04:05 AM   #37
Frenzie
Wizard

Done.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #38
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks... had to quote your post in order to see them.

I must say, internal SD card is really an interesting feature. My current reader offered no way to recover from bricks; with an internal card I could have done so much more to mod it.

If the PB Inkpad turns out to be anything but perfect (still waiting for reviews), I might go for the H2O instead.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mementomori View Post
Teardown images.. Poor Camera sorry..

If you are going to go to the bother of opening the H2O, please use a good camera.So please redo the photos if at all possible. The ones posted are just too fuzzy to be of any use.

Why the heck to people do things like this just to take awful photos with a lousy cell phone?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #40
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weak glue, my butt. I almost died opening this thing.

(On the day it arrived, naturally, what else do you do right out of the box? Cut a hole in the back, for the glory of satan, of course!).

There are two rings of glue on this thing, one outer ring (outer rim of the device all around), and an inner ring where it's glued to the display (or light layer) itself. And it's not just a little glue either, but a ton of it. Trying to pry it off, naturally everything bends along with it. Do you have any idea how scary it is to see the display bend, or rather the light layer I guess...

I do not recommend opening this device. Not unless you're really desperate...

Putting it back together, it does not look quite the way it used to. The gap between device and bezel became noticably larger, I think mainly because the glue kind of clumped together while trying to pry it off and those lumps in the glue now prevent a perfect fit; I also think the display shifted a fraction of a millimeter, cause now if I look at the reader at an angle, I can see a white rim at the top on the all black powered off screen, which I didn't notice before.

My pictures aren't much better - sorry about that.

The firmware image, made before anything else, is 257M in size (compressed). After putting it all back together and activating it for the first time, it did a firmware update right away, so not sure which firmware version it is in the image. Didn't have time to look at it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7962.png.jpg
Views:	1618
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	132255   Click image for larger version

Name:	12231.png.jpg
Views:	1895
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	132256   Click image for larger version

Name:	13491.png.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	132257   Click image for larger version

Name:	25687.png.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	132258   Click image for larger version

Name:	26999.png.jpg
Views:	1352
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	132260  

Last edited by frostschutz; 12-09-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #41
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you cut an access port, to your internal uSD card, there is no need to take it apart. You might even be able to retain it's watertightness by making a rubber plug that you could seal with silicon. A rubber or neoprene plug would certainly keep the dust out, even if you don't seal it watertight.

Now that you have shown where to cut the access port, others need not risk stressing the screen or effecting the alignment of the IR parts.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
My pictures aren't much better - sorry about that.
Please get a GOOD camera and retake the photos. Why do photos like this have to be poorly taken?
Old 12-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #43
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
If you cut an access port, to your internal uSD card, there is no need to take it apart.
That was the original plan but it failed, completely.

First you have to know where to find the SD card. It was a bit hard to tell.

Then you have to be really, really, really careful about how you cut it and what you cut it with. I used a cheap scalpel which is not a very good choice. The blade broke halfway through and I made a mess of it in general.

Also, there is really not much room below the cover. I thought there would be more air below since the back has that odd shape... but no. If you cut too deep ... it's over. If you have any doubts you should probably open it up anyway.

Actually the opening was a bit smaller (and a bit off) on my first try. I thought it should work anyway, but it's so tight you really have to cut the area above and before the port open properly so you can reliably access/switch the card. So I ended up with this giant opening... oh well.

As for plugging it, I use a bit of clear tape. Originally I wanted to use the piece I cut out but I cut out more than one in the end so that idea kind of imploded.

Quote:
Now that you have shown where to cut the access port, others need not risk stressing the screen or effecting the alignment of the IR parts.
This is my first device with IR touchscreen. What I actually wanted to do was paint the bezel white since black is not my favourite color for an ereader. (I want the text to be black, nothing else).

I thought the IR was something that happened below the bezel, but it's actually integrated optics... scary. So no paint; I could get a decal but even that can't cover the inner part so a black border would remain, so I can just as well get used to black now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please get a GOOD camera and retake the photos.
It wasn't a priority.

Last edited by frostschutz; 12-09-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #44
Ken Maltby
Wizard

It is not so hard to just cut to the depth of the thickness of the case, if you don't try to cut all the way through in one cut. Using a straight edge and marking the cuts out with a Sharpie first, helps as well.

This one I have modified in several ways over a long period of time and I cut a flap out, at first, using a Dremel tool, with it apart. The thing hanging out is a Serial to Blutooth Adapter.

Luck;
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010132.jpg
Views:	1281
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	132263  
Old 12-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #45
Ken Maltby
Wizard

oops, duplicate
Closed Thread

Tags
flash, h2o, image, sdcard, sdcard-image