Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #26461
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Okay, I'm hearing ani-mah-Jus. So that's not a hard G, but a soft?
I've always heard it in my head as just a prefix "ani-" added to the word "magus", but given that it's a word Rowling invented, I guess there's no right or wrong answer here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #26462
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Okay, I'm hearing ani-mah-Jus. So that's not a hard G, but a soft?
Yes, that's a soft G. A hard G is as in goose.

There's a thread in the Audiobooks forum for mispronunciations that make you nuts.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:13 AM   #26463
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yes, that's a soft G. A hard G is as in goose.

There's a thread in the Audiobooks forum for mispronunciations that make you nuts.
Huh.

Well, I am already nuts... LOL, and the discussion in there is lively. Hah, I am put in mind of an old SNL skit where they made fun of newscasters who put effort into pronouncing foreign words and place-names correctly. It's a no-win situation.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #26464
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Sharpe's Company by Bernard Cornwall. I'm looking forward to a fun, quick read!
Most enjoyable. I just haven't much time to read recently. One of the earlier published books. I especially like the afterword with notes on what's fiction and what's historical.

next up: The Ruin of Angels by Max Gladstone
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:21 PM   #26465
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Finished Cinderella Can't Be A Guy by Jackson Terrance (Short Story)

It was a great YA Transgender read. The main problem I had with it was the pacing in the book, he could have fleshed out the story a lot more it sometimes felt like a short abridged version of a longer story, or more like a skeleton of a book.

Currently I'm almost half-way thru Star Trek: Discovery: Desperate Hours. So far it's an OK read, still holding out on full judgment
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #26466
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
"Voldemort"... he keeps dropping the T like it's French.
I have read somewhere that the silent-T version is Rowling's intended pronunciation.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #26467
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Re-reading "Invisible Man," after a 40-year gap.

It's just as I remember it, so beautifully written and so incredibly moving.

After that, I plan to read "Three Days Before The Shooting" which, by the way, can be purchased for the incredible price of only $2.99 at Amazon.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-12-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #26468
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I’m reading Elegy for April by Benjamin Black (aka John Banville). It’s quite good so far. I expect it is a murder mystery but no one has died yet.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #26469
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I've been reading Bridge of Bones, second in the Jason Crane series by Richard Gleaves. Lots of spooky action! I'm glad I already have the third book.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #26470
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz and it was an okay read. Give it 3.5stars

Next up The Girl who Takes and an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz which is a follow on to the Lisbeth Salander novels.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #26471
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Next up The Girl who Takes and an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz which is a follow on to the Lisbeth Salander novels.
Be interested to know what you think. I've read #4, The Girl in the Spider's Web, and ATM have decided not to bother with any more.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #26472
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Meanwhile, I've been binge reading the Ava Lee series from Ian Hamilton. Fun books, with an ethnically Chinese Canadian, lesbian, forensic accountant, martial arts proficient, main character and a wide range geographical venues, though focused around Hong Kong. Wonderful fun!
Finished the full cycle of these, ending with The Courtier of Milan , the 9th (or 10th, depending on how you count). That's all until the new year, I'm afraid. But what FUN.

Now, onto something a bit different, the fourth book in the Megan Whalen Turner's Queen's Thief series, A Conspiracy of Kings. Good, but not up to Ava Lee.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #26473
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished The Alchemists of Loom by Elise Kova. Worth finding the second book in the series.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #26474
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Began binge reading Gladys Mitchell's incomparable "Mrs. Bradley" series ... currently reading "Death at the Opera"
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #26475
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Finished listening to The Long Way to a Small and Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. Very enjoyable. Now listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Meanwhile, I have begun reading Beyond the Body Farm: A Legendary Bone Detective Explores Murders, Mysteries, and the Revolution in Forensic Science by Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson.