Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Mallee
Mallee will become famous soon enoughMallee will become famous soon enoughMallee will become famous soon enoughMallee will become famous soon enoughMallee will become famous soon enoughMallee will become famous soon enough

Device: None as yet
Just checking in

Hello, all - Another newbie from Australia! As the name suggests, I live in the Mallee area of N-W Victoria, usually coolish to cold in winter, very hot and dry in summer, although not so dry over the last few weeks.
I read quite a lot, so have been thinking about an ereader for a while, but am at a loss as to which one to buy - I'll definitely be begging for help to make up my mind very soon.
Looking forward to making new friends here.
Cheers
Carol (my real name - unfortunately not available when I registered)
Mallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ….

There are numerous folk on board from your neck of the woods who will give you help, in the meantime, these two links may be useful ...

>>> ereader-matrix ... Which Reader Forum?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Mallee,

Welcome to Mobile Read Carol,

Making friends here on MR is easy, there is a lot of very very nice people to get to know,

Lots of help, advice and opinion here too, explore all the forums here, you can't go wrong,

I have a Sony PRS-600 and a Kindle 3, both are great, but if you don't want touch screen then I'd say looking at a Kindle is a great start, and the Wifi / 3G version covers just about everything for most newbies,

Anyway have fun, enjoy exploring, and I'm sure you'll find the right Reader for you very very soon indeed,

Come back often,
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Been talking with a lot of owners of various readers and here is what they have told me:

If you for see yourself as having a very big electronic book library buy a Kindle it has a search function;

If you want a touch screen and cutting edge technology buy a Sony PRS, they upgrade their readers frequently with newer technology;

If you want touch screen with the Google Andriod operating system buy a Pandigital novel;

If you want to read books in foreign langueges, not enlgish, then buy a bookeen;

If you want to pay low prices for your reader buy a Aluratek Libra Pro;

If you want simplicity of operation buy a Kobo

If you want even cheaper prices try downloading and installing electronic book readers on your smart phone, cost for the readers $0;
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Carol, and luck with your choice. There's a whole range of devices available to you now, but why not take a look at the Australian Kogan while you're searching for the one that's very best for your specific needs? I've heard good reports. Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherlands.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
G'Day Carol and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Mallee
Mallee will become famous soon enoughMallee will become famous soon enoughMallee will become famous soon enoughMallee will become famous soon enoughMallee will become famous soon enoughMallee will become famous soon enough

Device: None as yet
Thank you all for your welcome messages

Hello, all, and many thanks for your welcome messages. Thank you also for the advice re what reader to buy.
I've almost decided on the Sony PRS650 based on information both here and the various reviews I've read - including industry, media, and personal reviews. It's a bit pricier than I'd intended to pay, particularly as I'll need to buy a cover for it separately, but I reckon I might as well go the whole hog as I intend to use it often.
I checked out the Kogan, Neil, particularly as we have a Kogan TV which has been excellent, but the reviews (from users in particular) have been a bit problematic.
No doubt my husband will be happy - he's packed, loaded and transported many tea chests of my books so many times when we've moved house/town, that he reckons if I die before him, immediately after the funeral he's going to light a bonfire in the back yard, sit on the steps, and throw all of my books in, one at a time. He's not a reader!!
Cheers
Carol
Mallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Hello, Mallee, and welcome to MobileRead.

If you're big on annotations and copying passages that you read, I can't recommend the Kindle highly enough. Of course, what you buy largely depends on your personal needs, but for my purposes, of all the readers I've owned, I find it to be the most useful one.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote