Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
There is a more authoritative answer for this on the Unofficial Kindle Support Board: http://www.unofficialkindlesupport.com/index.php

The FAQ thread on this topic is here:

http://www.unofficialkindlesupport.c...c.php?f=3&t=54

Quote:
Aftermarket USB power adapter (either AC or 12V DC, for car use), or one serving some other device.

* Now, please be careful. Not every USB power supply that satisfies Kindle voltage and current requirements is good. For example, the one that came with my iPod Classic does not work. Suitable power adapters will comply to something called Open Mobile Terminal Platform specification.
* According to user reports, suitable supplies include those for recent Blackberries and some other mobile phones using Micro-USB B for power connection, and those from company iGo. There are more, of course.
* How to test:
o Plug the Kindle in. Charging LED should light up, and battery symbol should be pierced by a lightning bolt.
o After 30 seconds unplug it. If either LED or lightinig bolt stays, we have wrong adapter. Reset the Kindle by holding the power slider for 30 seconds.
So that is a documented way to test your 3rd party adapter. Plus, it does not appear that testing with a standard USB adapter that does not work for the Kindle would actually hurt your Kindle during your testing.

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #17
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I already have a single USB cable and wall plug to charge my Ipod Touch and my mobile phone. I plan to use the same for my Kindle. So Kindle will only add 8 ounces to my travel gear. No extra cable, no extra plug, etc.

I am still looking for a USB-charged shaver so that I can carry one less charger plug

Travis
IMHO, carrying only one cable to charge all my devices would be a false economy. I usually want to charge ALL my gadgets overnight, while I sleep. Not one at a time!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
IMHO, carrying only one cable to charge all my devices would be a false economy. I usually want to charge ALL my gadgets overnight, while I sleep. Not one at a time!
Agreed that carrying an extra cable is easier than an extra set of chargers. However, my Ipod Touch charges in less than an hour (and has its own specialized cable, anyway), maybe once every other day. My phone has like 10 hours of talk and charges in maybe 2.5 hours, once every few days. And the Kindle will be more like three charges a month, and maybe less if I download stuff from my PC and it is charging during that process. So the usage is pretty minimal.

Even my shaver, which is 110/220 for worldwide usage, only needs charging once a month. It is the older kind of battery where it is better to let it drain more each time instead of constant recharging.

I do have a dual USB charger, maybe I should lug that one instead ;-)

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #19
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
travis, thanks for the links and the information and the TEST! i'll be sure to try it out once the K3 arrives.

much appreciated!
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the questions are neverending
a quick one: is there a way to prevent the K3 from charging when it's connected to the PC? i'm asking because my USB ports (or my PC) just can't handle devices that suck up power while attached (i know, i know, i should change them but...)
it does well with flashdrives and portable harddrives etc

i think i read somewhere it was possible but i'm taking a shortcut here and asking owners

many thanks!
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #21
phyros
phyros began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505 - Kindle 3
Nop, kindle needs at least 850ma to charge properly so you need a 1000ma (1A) charger
phyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #22
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyros View Post
Nop, kindle needs at least 850ma to charge properly so you need a 1000ma (1A) charger
thanks, i'll go get one today

anyone have an answer for my other question above phyros's reply about preventing the K3 from charging when attached to the PC via USB? thanks
Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #23
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
You may want to take a look at this charger - I have one (but haven't yet tried it with my K3) and really like it. It allows charging of several USB devices simultaneously.

http://www.callpod.com/products/chargepod
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #24
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
* How to test:
o Plug the Kindle in. Charging LED should light up, and battery symbol should be pierced by a lightning bolt.
o After 30 seconds unplug it. If either LED or lightinig bolt stays, we have wrong adapter. Reset the Kindle by holding the power slider for 30 seconds.

Just did the test using the power adapter that came with my iPhone 4 - worked like a charm!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
* How to test:

Just did the test using the power adapter that came with my iPhone 4 - worked like a charm!
thanks, 93terp, i already knew about the test and thanks for the link.
the only problem with my initial charger which had a USB port (is that the lingo ?) was that it only had 500 mA, half an ampere, while apparently the K3 needs more according to phyros. i'll buy another that meets the requirements. a relatively cheap one

the reason i revived this thread was to ask about how to connect the K3 to the PC without it charging. do i keep it in deep sleep? is there a magic button?

i guess i should have started another thread
Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #26
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
was that it only had 500 mA, half an ampere, while apparently the K3 needs more according to phyros
No. It isn't required. The Kindle can charge off a computer USB port and that follows the USB standard of having a maximum of 500mA available. The Kindle quick start guide even mentions that not all Kindle configurations come with a charger so in those cases, the user would only have the ability to charge via a computer. It may charge faster if it has more than 500mA but it isn't required.

The Kindle successfully charges off the charger for my Android phone. I've not tried it yet with the Apple mains chargers for their iPods/iPhones.

The reason why not all chargers work is how they're wired. There are two wires for power and two for data in a USB connection. Most new devices don't just look at the power connections to see if they should charge. They'll test the USB data lines to see if there is a specific voltage or resistance on them first. If that voltage is wrong or the resistance is wrong then the device will refuse to charge.

Quote:
the reason i revived this thread was to ask about how to connect the K3 to the PC without it charging. do i keep it in deep sleep? is there a magic button?
The Kindle doesn't appear to have that ability. It is either in charging + USB drive mode or just charging mode.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #27
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The Kindle doesn't appear to have that ability. It is either in charging + USB drive mode or just charging mode.
bugger then
we'll see what happens when it gets here then because my PC has a history of hating devices that charge through it.

thanks for the other advice as well. i'll try it out when the K3 arrives.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #28
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
we'll see what happens when it gets here then because my PC has a history of hating devices that charge through it.
You can try buying a cheap powered USB hub and plugging that into your computer and then plugging your Kindle and other devices into that. The power supply for the hub should mean that the hub draws no power from the PC and works around your problem. It means having an extra power adapter and the hub though.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #29
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
You can try buying a cheap powered USB hub and plugging that into your computer and then plugging your Kindle and other devices into that. The power supply for the hub should mean that the hub draws no power from the PC and works around your problem. It means having an extra power adapter and the hub though.
something intermediary between PC & device you mean? like this one?

http://www.logopremiums.com/computer-usb-hub-3317BT.jpg

hmm, i had thought about it but i assumed it would do the same thing suck too much power from my PC causing it to do an impromptu shutdown

much appreciated!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #30
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
No, something more like this, an externally powered USB hub (so it does NOT draw from your coputer). Here's a pic, from the device I pointed to:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51D6A371Y5L._SS400_.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	57530  
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote