Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Which iPad app is best?

Hey, I found this great comparison the advantages and drawbacks of every ebook app currently available for iPad. If you're unsure about what to use, check this out: Apple iPad Showdown: Battle of the eReader Apps
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interesting article, but I'm a little wary of its conclusions, especially for Stanza:

Quote:
If you have lots of content that you’ve collected over the years, Stanza is definitely a must-have app. There’s absolutely no downside, it’s free to use and does more than any e-book reader app on this list.
Although the library management aspect of Stanza is very good, its actual book display - especially for ePub books - is very poor. It will ignore the majority of ePub formatting, resulting in poor display of the book. iBooks has far better ePub display capabilities.

[I've moved this thread to the "Apple" forum, where it belongs.]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I thought a lot of people on here were also complaining about ibooks also not supporting or ignoring some formatting?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I thought a lot of people on here were also complaining about ibooks also not supporting or ignoring some formatting?
The only thread I recollect on the subject was a recent discussion about "image maps", which ADE doesn't support either. My experience has been that iBooks renders ePub files extremely well.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

oops, sorry about the wrong placement
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As far as Stanza goes, why? It doesn't work well. It's ePub rendering ending is awful. It need a serious upgrade to be even remotely usable.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
IMHO not a very helpful article.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Hey, I found this great comparison the advantages and drawbacks of every ebook app currently available for iPad. If you're unsure about what to use, check this out: Apple iPad Showdown: Battle of the eReader Apps
Is it telling/intentional that one of the books in the image is "How to Save (Steve) Jobs?"

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As far as Stanza goes, why? It doesn't work well. It's ePub rendering ending is awful. It need a serious upgrade to be even remotely usable.
Only to the typography folk like you.

To the rest of us "text is text" folk, it works fine and it's great having integrated access to multiple stores and free book sources within the app.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Only to the typography folk like you.

To the rest of us "text is text" folk, it works fine and it's great having integrated access to multiple stores and free book sources within the app.
Having things like centred titles not appearing centred, and hard page breaks ignored is pretty important to me, and I'm certainly not hung up on perfect typography.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Having things like centred titles not appearing centred, and hard page breaks ignored is pretty important to me, and I'm certainly not hung up on perfect typography.
I've done centered titles and hard page breaks in OpenOffice in for several items in HTML and .DOC format and converted to ePub with Calibre, and they display just fine in Stanza on the iPad. Maybe it depends on what programs are used?

That said, I'm currently reading an ePub I bought from Baen books, and it doesn't appear to be showing hard page breaks, assuming it has them.

Last edited by JMikeD; 06-19-2010 at 09:31 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Join me over in the battle thread with which attribute you are trying to set to accomplish this, and let's get it reported if Stanza is indeed ignoring it and other reader apps aren't.

There aren't a lot of rendering problems reported on Stanza's customer support site yet. It does look like they are working on some sort of hard break problem though.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I concur with the article. Well, I actually like iBooks better than the guy in the article. It does lack night mode, true, but you CAN turn the iPad itself into night mode. I just turn the brightness way down and find it stills reads well in the dark.

I just read novels and so am not much affected by every pub rendering issue that offends some folks. I find Stanza to be excellent for reading. I love that I can customize so much. I like just dreading my finger up or down to adjust the brightness. I love pinching to zoom in the font size. I love that I can configure the colors and choose backgrounds and themes.

In addition to the excellent reading, I love the excellent support for getting books into Stanza. I can get books wirelessly from my local Calibre server....or from lots of web sources including Project Gutenberg, Fictionwise (where I've purchased a lot of books), the Baen free library, Manybooks, Feedbooks...and much more.

The main thing Stanza is missing is support fir Adobe ADE. If it did, I'd try checking out ebooks from the local library. I tried txtr and HATED the reading experience. I just can't stand the scrolling metaphor. There website was extremely slow and clunky for getting books, and it's the only way to get books.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
BenLee
eReader Junkie

Actually, this showdown may soon need to be updated with the release of the Blio in the near future

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...-reader-wrongs

If Kurzweil is right, Blio should easily put all these other eReader apps to shame