Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

New Sony software Crashes Windows 7

Installed the new Sony software 3.1 on my Windows 7 HP PC. It acted strange while installling. It downloaded multiple copies of one book. It crashed my Windows 7 PC while transferring books to my PRS-300, and now the PRS-300 won't work. What a POS Sony!!!!

EDIT #1:
It did nasty things to my PC, including trashing the WLAN connection, so it has now been uninstalled. My PRS-300 is still unable to work. I'm furious at those Sony idiots!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT #2:
I finally got my PRS-300 to work again. It took four resets and over an hour. I installed the new reader software on a Win XP netbook and it works, albeit it still is downloading multiple copies of some books. I like the ePub replacements to a few large books that took forever to open in BBeB format. The ePub files are half the size and open much more quickly. For a novel, this is not that important. On a 6MB file it is very important.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-11-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I'm running it on Windows 7 Pro 64bit just fine, 2 screens, home-built, patched up, multi-boot with Ubuntu.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Very interesting. I downloaded the software this morning, everything installed flawlessly. I signed into the bookstore, and that also worked flawlessly. I hadn't re-downloaded any books yet, and I think I will wait a couple days before I plug my PRS600 in so I have some time if I need to fix it.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No problems here. 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium Edition.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
tasdisr
tasdisr began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
I have had no problems either. Running Windows 32bit home premium
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
benlau
Enthusiast
benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I can not run the software inside VirtualBox of a Windows XP machine
benlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Installed the new Sony software 3.1 on my Windows 7 HP PC. It acted strange while installling. It downloaded multiple copies of one book. It crashed my Windows 7 PC while transferring books to my PRS-300, and now the PRS-300 won't work. What a POS Sony!!!!
I have Reader Library running on my Windows XP Pro system and on my wife's Windows 7 Home Premium system. Works fine on both systems. There has to be something off in your OS for Reader Library to act up like that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The only time I had something like that happen to me was when I hooked up the Reader while the library was open (old version of library, 505, on XP). Made me Reader go all wonky.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
The only time I had something like that happen to me was when I hooked up the Reader while the library was open (old version of library, 505, on XP). Made me Reader go all wonky.
I always run the software and then plug in the Reader to the USB port. Never had a problem. I did have a problem in the past where hooking the Reader up first and then running the software causing stability issues with the software.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Violetmooose
Violetmooose began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Unhappy

I have been having the same issue, where I have repeatedly installed the new software update and I can't get it to run. It tries, and crashes with no information on screen or in my event log.

I tried to contact Sony Support last night, and they suggested to try installing in safe mode, which doesn't work in Windows 7.

I'm not sure what is causing this, and nothing I've tried has worked.

Fortunately, I have been using Calibre before this happened, and I have no problem transferring books to my Reader, but I had wanted to try the new Sony Reader store.
Violetmooose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

This is on a HP Pavilion a6720y desktop I bought in June. It came with Vista 64 bit. When I tried updating to Windows 7 it had some hardware/driver issues that took a lot of trial and error and support calls to finally solve over a month-long period. I basically did a clean install wiping out all the old stuff, bought a new WLAN card that was compatible with windows 7, etc. The PC ran fine for several weeks after that until I installed the Sony Reader 3.1. So there is some kind of driver/software issue involved with the Sony Reader software. BTW: Prior to installing Sony Reader 3.1, there were no earlier versions of the Sony software installed--this was a virgin install.

The Sony Reader Library 3.1, like its predecessor, uses Adobe Flash. A truly terrible develpoment environment in which to develop an application. It also uses Adobe Digital Editions for the Adept DRM. Adobe has some pretty crappie programming and I suspect that therein is the problem. Although it might work on most Windows 7 PCs, it obviously is not capable of running on all of them. I've moved all my Sony Reader related stuff to my XP Home netbook. And after uninstalling the Sony Reader Library 3.1 from my Windows 7 PC it is working fine again.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Have you installed ADE and registered it?
Old 12-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you installed ADE and registered it?
Yes I did. I uninstalled it later when purging my Windows 7 PC of the nasty things causing problems.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Personally I didn't install ADE, just the Reader Library, and it went well (Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit).
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Working fine here with XP Pro. Not one problem.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote