Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
New packager is nicely written but doesn't seem to work on windows. File sharing problems arise because temporary files can't be shared so they can't be written to.

I'm trying to fix the problem right now
What do you mean by file sharing problems ?

Temporary files are opened in such a way that any process can access them until they are closed.

It shouldn't be any different on Windows than linux or macos...
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
What do you mean by file sharing problems ?

Temporary files are opened in such a way that any process can access them until they are closed.

It shouldn't be any different on Windows than linux or macos...
http://docs.python.org/library/tempf....TemporaryFile
Quote:
Whether the name can be used to open the file a second time, while the named temporary file is still open, varies across platforms (it can be so used on Unix; it cannot on Windows NT or later)
So these files can't be opened by openssl binary or even by python tar library that is called from the script

I'm working on making the script work as I'd like to use the auto-jailbreaking installer. I'm not too good with Python though so it may take some time.

I could never quite understand how can somebody create a programming language where whitespaces have syntactic meaning But this is offtopic

Last edited by Blog Kindle; 11-25-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:

So these files can't be opened by openssl binary or even by python tar library that is called from the script
I see..

I'll look what I can do about that.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #19
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast
cloudyvisions is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Is there any chance of getting Helvetica and/or Helvetica2 for the US K2? I don't really understand the new packages and what I need to do in order to make the font hack myself.

Last edited by cloudyvisions; 11-25-2009 at 08:43 PM.
cloudyvisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #20
srmalloy
Enthusiast
srmalloy began at the beginning.

Quote:
I've repackaged the screensaver hack ; for the DX, Kindle 2 International and Kindle 2: there:
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/scree...ack-0.1.tar.gz
Thank you for your work; I just installed the 2.3 update, and was moderately annoyed when the screensaver hack didn't reinstall. I downloaded the tarball and copied the install bin to my Kindle and told it to update, and when it had finished restarting, I had all my custom screensavers back.

Last edited by srmalloy; 11-25-2009 at 09:09 PM.
srmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #21
anonymenet
French user
anonymenet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle dx
(Pardon for my bad english)
First, i would like to say THANK YOU ! Helping us to extend the kindle fonctionnalities without money rewarding is really nice !

I have some questions about how the firmware system works...
Before this post, i wasn't expecting updates of screensaver package since the new 2.3 firmware.
So i decided to install back the original firmware (2.1 or 2.11, i dont remember) but in vain. Indeed, i reseted to the factory defaults (fonctionnity accessed from the key menu in the settings screen of the kindle dx. Be careful ! All the books are deleted) but original firmware didnt come back, it was still 2.3 (is something defining the new firmware as the original firmware ?)

Then, i told myself "You just have to put the original firmware file .bin in root directory and install it, like you do with packages and firmware updates !". There, i stopped, frightened by the heavy size of the original firmware (very heavy, more than 100 mB, didn't know if kindle dx could handle it).

Correct me if i'm wrong. The packages like "screensaver hack" and so, they are just doing modifications on the firmware and dont actually replace it. That's why we have to uninstall them when we want to install a firmware update ?

The last but not least questions : jyavenard, what is the langage used/compiler used to generate thoses .bin files, on which operating system ? If i can be of any help...

Again, thanks for your hard work !

Edit : everything worked perfectly on my kindle dx (screensaver + font packages)

Last edited by anonymenet; 11-27-2009 at 06:21 AM.
anonymenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #22
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:

Ok, version 0.7 is out...

It now works on Windows
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/packager-0.7.tar.gz
Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #23
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymenet View Post
So i decided to install back the original firmware (2.1 or 2.11, i dont remember) but in vain.
You can't revert back to 2.1 or 2.1.1 once you've installed 2.3

Quote:
Correct me if i'm wrong. The packages like "screensaver hack" and so, they are just doing modifications on the firmware and dont actually replace it. That's why we have to uninstall them when we want to install a firmware update ?
The official firmware checks that files on the Kindle haven't been modified.
Hacks such as the screensaver or the UFH hack modify some files ; and as such the official firmware update will fail until they are removed

Quote:
The last but not least questions : jyavenard, what is the langage used/compiler used to generate thoses .bin files, on which operating system ? If i can be of any help...

Again, thanks for your hard work !
The packager is written in Python.
A bin file is just an encrypted gzipped tar file.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #24
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
question! (Dwight said) I had the Screensaver hack on my DX. I uninstalled it via instructions, (I'm nearly computer illiterate) Updated to 2.3. Now i'm interested in appling this new screensaver hack. I don't see a Uninstall hack packaged with this one. So my question is, If I apply this hack and Amazon adds an update (So I can at last have my coveted FOLDERS!!! (How insane is it that they didn't put folders on it in the first place!) How can I uninstall this one safely so I can get new updates?
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The uninstall bin files are included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New_screensaver_bin_files.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	40150  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #26
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Quote:
Ok, version 0.7 is out...

It now works on Windows
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/packager-0.7.tar.gz
Thanks a lot! It works perfectly on Windows now
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #27
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
jyavenard... Let me reveal my ignorance and beg for your indulgence. I downloaded the file. Then couldn't open it... So I googled for awhile and got a program to open that file called Bitzipper. So I extracted the files and moved them into anohter folder on my desktop i named screensaver hack files.. I only got 8 files... They look nothing like the picture daffy4u posted. Ones named kindle update tool.py and then a read me that is strange and mysterious to me... (And a little scary) then there are other files that are named update_freekindle-dx.bin and so on... I assume? All I have to do is place the update_freekindle-dx.bin file in the root folder, then do the update software thing? And if I want to get rid of the hack put the update_uninstall_freekindle-dx.bin file in the same place and do the update software thing again? I'm shying away from this right now... I dont want to screw my kindle up.... Am I missing something?
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Roy, if your click the link in my sig you'll find step by step instructions on how to upzip and install jyavenard's screensaver hack using a Windows machine.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #29
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
do the update software thing again? I'm shying away from this right now... I dont want to screw my kindle up.... Am I missing something?
What you downloaded is the packager software ; not the screensaver.
The screen saver is there: http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/scree...ack-0.1.tar.gz

To decompress the archive, on Windows I used either WinZIP or WinRAR
Old 11-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #30
woaibolin
woaibolin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 International
Quote:
What you downloaded is the packager software ; not the screensaver.
The screen saver is there: http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/scree...ack-0.1.tar.gz

To decompress the archive, on Windows I used either WinZIP or WinRAR
jyavenard,the files on "http://www.avenard.org/kindle2" are something we are so appriciate.
would u take several minutes to make a user guide of all files?that would be helpful.
woaibolin is offline   Reply With Quote