Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I try to keep the number of books on my active devices to about 200, although there's a tendency toward upward creep. That provides me with sufficient choice for my next read; more would be worse and not better, the difficulty in seeing the trees for the forest. Even at 200 books, collections are very important to me.

However, I have most of my library loaded onto an sd card on an older device. This serves two purposes: it's a form of backup and it allows quick access to any book not on my current devices. But, collections!

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want/need collections as their library grew, for the issues of both navigation and discovery. That's a reason there's no one-size-fits-all reader.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #17
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
If you know the title of the book you want to read, or the author, that might work. But if you want something to read but are not sure what paging through 100+ pages of books looking to spot the one that might appeal isn't something I would much care for. Being able to cut the list by the general type of book you are wanting at the moment would be much preferable. When you go to the library you generally head to specific , sections mystery, reference, history, whatever before you start browsing the shelves. I really wish my kindle could be organized like my library, general genres, maybe subgenres then authors within that genre. And enough memory to hold them all so I could thumb my nose at connectivity issues.
This is why my collections are given names such as fiction:mystery or nonfiction:history (taking advantage of alphabetical order) and sorted by author. Adding books to collections has become easier now that I can go to Manage Your Content and Devices on my computer and see which books need to be sorted.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I try to keep the number of books on my active devices to about 200, although there's a tendency toward upward creep. That provides me with sufficient choice for my next read; more would be worse and not better, the difficulty in seeing the trees for the forest. Even at 200 books, collections are very important to me.

However, I have most of my library loaded onto an sd card on an older device. This serves two purposes: it's a form of backup and it allows quick access to any book not on my current devices. But, collections!

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want/need collections as their library grew, for the issues of both navigation and discovery. That's a reason there's no one-size-fits-all reader.
This is why my cookbooks are in a spreadsheet and semi organized on shelves. The miscellaneous ones need to be organized better.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #19
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Your library has its fiction sorted by genre. I want to visit it.
I always thought libraries sorted by LOC or Dewey decimal. So the non-fiction was sorted by type but the fiction was in alphabetical order.
Though thanks. You just gave me an idea on shelving cookbooks which by the way would be in 2 different places in a library. 613 is diet and 641.5 is cooking, Those can go up to 5 digits after the decimal.641.59765 is Texas.
My library is sorted by genre--I always go to the science fiction section first, then the mystery, and general fiction last.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
My library is sorted by genre--I always go to the science fiction section first, then the mystery, and general fiction last.

Shari
That is cool for the reader. Not so much for the shelver.
I remember when it was all shelved by the author's last name.
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #21
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is cool for the reader. Not so much for the shelver.
I remember when it was all shelved by the author's last name.
All of the libraries I've gone to have always (for as long as I can remember, at least) been sorted into Genres. I've attached a picture of one that I bought from a used book bin years ago at the Seattle Public Library. Notice the Genre printed on the label. I don't think it's that hard for the shelver...it's not like they have to determine what the genre is themselves--that's done when the book is originally purchased by the library.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170514_165652011.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	156754  
Old 05-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
All of the libraries I've gone to have always (for as long as I can remember, at least) been sorted into Genres. I've attached a picture of one that I bought from a used book bin years ago at the Seattle Public Library. Notice the Genre printed on the label. I don't think it's that hard for the shelver...it's not like they have to determine what the genre is themselves--that's done when the book is originally purchased by the library.

Shari
I haven't worked in a library since the early 80's. Genres were not on books then, but we also had to use card catalogs.
I am glad to see your book.

I need to find my Dewey decimal list to 5 digits and physically reshelve some cookbooks.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You will also notice the Seattle Public is not using the Dewey decimal system in that section of the racks.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You will also notice the Seattle Public is not using the Dewey decimal system in that section of the racks.
Actually it is a derivative.
F on top
Letter number letter on bottom.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #25
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Actually it is a derivative.
F on top
Letter number letter on bottom.
Actually, that was purchased in the late 80s, and it was old enough then that it was in the "buy" bin, so it's been like that for a while.

I've been going to the library for over 45 years, and fiction books have always been done like that, as far as I can remember.

Shari
Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 AM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Actually, that was purchased in the late 80s, and it was old enough then that it was in the "buy" bin, so it's been like that for a while.

I've been going to the library for over 45 years, and fiction books have always been done like that, as far as I can remember.

Shari
The libraries I have been in just have non-fiction by DD and fiction in author last name order.
This includes school, college and public libraries.
But then I am in Texas where there are only 4 big cities that might or might not have a decent library budget.
You live in a book friendly area. Here our libraries have one cataloger so she doesn't have the time or energy to separate out the fiction.
But this leads to other questions, how big is your total fiction section? How many people work in the library? Those two things may make a difference. I think there are 6 people +the cataloger in our library. Maybe 7.
Our fiction section is small. But they took out half the books when they brought in computers and other media.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:50 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
The libraries I have been in just have non-fiction by DD and fiction in author last name order.
This includes school, college and public libraries.
But then I am in Texas where there are only 4 big cities that might or might not have a decent library budget.
You live in a book friendly area. Here our libraries have one cataloger so she doesn't have the time or energy to separate out the fiction.
But this leads to other questions, how big is your total fiction section? How many people work in the library? Those two things may make a difference. I think there are 6 people +the cataloger in our library. Maybe 7.
Our fiction section is small. But they took out half the books when they brought in computers and other media.
It is a children's book of science fiction by Heinlein.
First appeared in Boy's Life in 1952*******.
https://www.amazon.com/s?ref=series_rw_dp_labf&_encoding=UTF8&field-collection=Heinlein%27s+Juveniles&url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text

Children's Section of libraries often have a simplified cataloging system.

= = = =

Dallas Public is one of the Federal Repository libraries.*
That stuff (like the Federal Budget)** is usually racked in the fiction section also. (or should be ).

*That was one of the great ideas that came out of the '50s (IIRC).
Federal records are duplicated and stored in a distributed network of general public libraries.
Just in case the Library of Congress ever got 'nuked.

Why do I score it as a "Great Idea"?
Only very large libraries have facilities to store even a small section of the Federal Records collection.
I.E: Only ones in 'A List'*** cities (so much for making the records safe from 'nuke attack).

**No they don't have a copy of the Federal Budget in Dallas Public.
Just a few blocks away is a branch of the U.S. Mint.
https://catalog.usmint.gov/customer-...ontact-us.html *****
And there is a rule about not duplicating things that are already duplicated in another library**** in the same location.

***The 'A List' is a list of cities that are certain to be hit in the first strike group of targets.
(Where I live now is the first time I have lived outside of the 97% kill radius of an "A List" city.)

****Yes, the U.S. Mint locations have a public library, an interesting place to visit.
And yes, they do have a copy of the Federal Budget for you to look at, and they will sell you a copy if you would like.

*****At that U.S. Mint link above, you will find that the Dallas office is where you contact customer service about "product" inquiries.
What is the product of the U.S. Mint? Money******.
So that is where to write if their product will not stay in your pocket as long as you would like.

******Actually, they mean U.S. Mint products OTHER THAN money.

*******Which is where I first read it.

Last edited by knc1; 05-15-2017 at 02:01 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #28
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Shari
My library mainly sorts fiction by genre but it also has four bookcases of full of recommended books which have both fiction and nonfiction books sorted under 'people', 'place', 'plot' and 'prose'.

The head branch has put out a glossy book recommendation magazine for Canada's 150th anniversary (and a challenge- read 150 books this year!) with the adult books sorted by the four 'p's.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote