Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstname View Post
I have no qualms about saving myself £10 rather than giving it to Amazon, if once jailbroken removing the ads is do-able. Although the presence or absence of a jailbreak does affect the ability to pay, it does however affect whether or not I have to pay.
That would be dishonest. Discussion of ad-removal (other than via the route of paying the appropriate fee to Amazon) is forbidden by our site policy.

Please see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=200942
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #32
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I have just read about people getting onto Amazon customer service, and asking them to remove the ads, and the Amazon agents doing this for free, but warning it is an exception. So perhaps I could order one with special offers, see if I can get ads removed for free, if not pay the cost, and only then jailbreak? Any drawback to this?

Also, is 5.8.7.0.1 the current firmware version a new PW will come with?
Usually the free removals are for very good customers or in countries where the ads are useless.
I understand you want to save money but it is rather petty to try to get what you want free when others have to pay for the same thing especially since you know you want no special offers.

On your second question, no one knows. And probably only if you order quickly.

*Note this comment is being brought to you by someone who put back less than $10 worth of used books because they were not being discounted that day.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #33
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Also, is 5.8.7.0.1 the current firmware version a new PW will come with?
Someone very recently (in the last week) reported getting a PW3 w/out the new FW version. But there is no guarantee. The longer you wait, the more likely you will get the new FW. Do not turn on wifi.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:00 AM   #34
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
If you're worried about blue light, you might want to consider getting a Tolino 4HD. It has the same light adjustment as the Kobo Aura One. It can also be rooted because it's based on Android (although you might need some German for this), so it will be possible to install the Kindle app, PDF reader apps and more on it. Without rooting, you can read EPUB and PDF.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I have just read about people getting onto Amazon customer service, and asking them to remove the ads, and the Amazon agents doing this for free, but warning it is an exception. So perhaps I could order one with special offers, see if I can get ads removed for free, if not pay the cost, and only then jailbreak? Any drawback to this?
As his mother so famously tells Cary Grant in North by Northwest: "Roger... Pay the two dollars."
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #36
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
As his mother so famously tells Cary Grant in North by Northwest: "Roger... Pay the two dollars."

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote