Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Lightbulb Nook Glowlight Plus Lightswitch App

I've been mostly pleased with my NGL+, once I got it rooted and managed to maneuver the default language of my Relaunch installation into "System" and out of Russian, anyway.

My final unhappy-maker was toggling the front light. The NST Glow and NGL both would toggle the light on or off with a long-press of the "n" button, but B&N inexplicably decided to remove that from the NGL+ in favor of an arcane approach involving menu navigation and working an on-screen slide — way too much effort and effectively impossible in the dark. While I've seen several folks expressing ... dissatisfaction with that design choice, I have yet to see anyone offer a way to address it, so I came up with one myself.

What I did was whip up a simple app with Tasker plus its "App Factory" plugin that toggles the front light level between 0 and 84 (of 255), 0% and roughly 33% respectively. Why? Because 2 X 42 = 84. I read in either well lit areas or total darkness, so the lower percentage works for me. Besides, once the light is actually on, finding and operating that slider is a much simpler prospect for those occasions I want a higher light level.

Unfortunately, not being an actual Android developer, the brightness level is hard-coded, so if someone wanted a different set-point they'd have to recompile with their preferred light setting. To that end, the attached zip file includes the apk as I use it, and the XML instructions for Tasker, should anybody want those.

This could be used with any Android device, I suppose, if anyone cared to do so.

While that got me a simple way to flip the switch, as it were, that's only so useful by itself. In order to get it to the point that I could toggle the light from inside a book I also used XPosed Additions Pro (which requires the XPosed Installer and framework be pre-installed -- click on the "Show older versions" link at the bottom, the current stable one is apparently 2.6.1). XPosed Additions Pro allowed me to re-map the "n" button at the bottom to do all sorts of things, but I set it up to run my Lightswitch program.

The other thing I had to do was to set Relaunch to run as a regular program, rather than a launcher, or it would dump back into Relaunch after running the toggler -- perhaps workable, but not what I was after.

I freely admit that this is a rather kludgey solution, but it does work, which is a pretty compelling argument in my experience. If somebody who can do so cares to whip up a more elegant one, I'd probably happily switch to it and thank them graciously besides.

Finally, since the precipitater of this little exercise was that I couldn't find a solution to do this thing, I decided to share it, and while I've been pretty dormant on MR for quite a while, this is about the only place I'd go to do that sharing, so here it is. Enjoy or ignore, as pleases you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NGL+ LightSwitch.zip (1.67 MB, 827 views)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Without the play store, how do you install the pro version? I have my ngp rooted and have installed apps using adb, but I don't know how to purchase the pro version and get a .apk file to install with.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
Without the play store, how do you install the pro version?
Yeah, that's a rather important detail I had to puzzle out for myself, so it certainly bears mentioning.

I find installing things over ADB to be a hassle, so I'll mention this since others may appreciate an alternative: if you have Relaunch installed on your Nook and the APK is where Relaunch can see it, you can tap on an APK and it will let you install it. Several other file managers do the same thing, apparently, but I haven't messed with them for this.

As for getting the APK in the first place, I've seen some folks suggest pulling the file from a rooted phone that has the app you want installed on it, and I'm sure that works, but Astro File Manager will let you "Back Up" an installed app, which basically consists of copying the APK to a spot you can get at it even on a non-rooted phone. From there you can copy it over usb from your phone to your Nook, or anywhere else you care to, like — you know — for back up type purposes.

To "back up" an app with Astro: "Arrow at the upper left"->"Crossed wrench & hammer icon at the bottom left"->App Mgr->"locate app to back up"->"three dots on right"->backup->done

The backup directory can be viewed/set in the "three dots" menu at the upper right corner of the screen

So, to fully connect the dots: to get the pro version of XPosed Additions onto my Nook, I bought and installed it from the Play store on my phone, backed it up with Astro (at which point I uninstalled it from my phone), then transferred it to my Nook and installed it there from Relaunch.

Ringy-ding-ding.

Last edited by NatCh; 02-11-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Very helpful. Thanks.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist

You're welcome, glad to help.
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
azizleung
azizleung began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Many Thanks
it is very helpful
azizleung is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags