Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #196
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I actually like DiapDealer's approach of only buying a new book when he finished the previous one. It's something I've unsuccessfully tried with paper books, e-books, video games, iOS games, Android games, and Ukulele song sheets. I'll have to try to muster the discipline, again. Not even for the possible money saving, but to counter the occasionally frustrating feeling of never catching up.

I changed my view on keeping all books on the reader, too. Now that I mostly use the Nexus 7 for reading, I can use Calibre Companion's solid features that make organizing and finding books much easier. I also sat down and learned how to use shelves with the Kobo reader, which also made it more viable for me to keep all my books on the e-ink reader.

It does require more discipline to not flip too much between multiple books, but that is something that can be learned. I hope!
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #197
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
My family had hundreds of inherited books, usually first editions of everything from Uncle Tom's Cabin to The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, when I was a child, but I don't actually remember my parents reading them. We even had several editions of Shakespeare, including a very old one edited by Thomas Bowdler. I certainly read them. I still have two ceiling-to-floor bookcases. I guess I just feel that all is well if I'm surrounded by books and this behavior continues in my ebook library. I keep only 200-300 books on each ereader.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #198
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I actually like DiapDealer's approach of only buying a new book when he finished the previous one. It's something I've unsuccessfully tried with paper books, e-books, video games, iOS games, Android games, and Ukulele song sheets. I'll have to try to muster the discipline, again. Not even for the possible money saving, but to counter the occasionally frustrating feeling of never catching up.

I changed my view on keeping all books on the reader, too. Now that I mostly use the Nexus 7 for reading, I can use Calibre Companion's solid features that make organizing and finding books much easier. I also sat down and learned how to use shelves with the Kobo reader, which also made it more viable for me to keep all my books on the e-ink reader.

It does require more discipline to not flip too much between multiple books, but that is something that can be learned. I hope!
Well unless you dislike flipping between multiple books, why learn it. I go through stages of reading every book, cover to cover, and stages where I change books often, sometimes abandoning them. Sometimes it is the book(s) sometimes it is me. But if I am not wanting to read the book, even if it is only because I want to read something else more, why continue. Often I like books better after a break.

I guess I lack work ethics and stoicism in the reading area. Sure I'll can perhaps finish them all some day, but what will that get me in the great game of life?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #199
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Sure I'll can perhaps finish them all some day, but what will that get me in the great game of life?

Helen
You acquire Bragging Rights
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #200
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You acquire Bragging Rights
First you will have to find me someone who cares

Helen
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #201
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I keep a few hundred TBR books and a dozen or so read books (that I know I'll want to browse occasionally or check something) on my Paperwhite.

All my ebooks, regardless of origin, are in Calibre, marked read or unread, and I usually send any recent purchases that I think I might wish to read sooner rather than later (as quite a few of my book buys are deals on things of the "hmm, this might be good for whenever I'm in the mood for this genre again" kind I don't necessarily intend to read them right away) directly to my Paperwhite via Send to Kindle PC app (for non-Amazon books) or download them from the Cloud (for Amazon books).

I delete the overwhelming majority of read books from my reader immediately after finishing them - I might want to re-read some of them eventually, but it's rare that I'll want to do it in the next few years. They're all on my computer (and backed up on external hard drive and in a cloud) anyway.

I quite understand the sense of "I want to keep everything on the reader because I never know what I want to read next" but for me, keeping a few hundred unread books from various genres on the Kindle at any one time is good enough - besides, I work from home and spend most of my non-reading time at my computer, so if I get an urge to read anything else, Send to Kindle is quick, doesn't require finding the USB cable and can be done in a minute.

It takes far less time to browse my Calibre library and send a book (when I've found one that looks appealing) wirelessly directly to the Kindle than it would to browse for an appealing-looking book on the reader itself.

And for those times when I'm not near my computer, e.g. when travelling .. well, the few hundred TBR books on the device itself will be more than sufficient for choice, especially since I don't necessarily have much time to read when on holidays, other than on a train or plane or at the most half an hour before sleep.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #202
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I keep a few hundred TBR books and a dozen or so read books (that I know I'll want to browse occasionally or check something) on my Paperwhite.

All my ebooks, regardless of origin, are in Calibre, marked read or unread, and I usually send any recent purchases that I think I might wish to read sooner rather than later (as quite a few of my book buys are deals on things of the "hmm, this might be good for whenever I'm in the mood for this genre again" kind I don't necessarily intend to read them right away) directly to my Paperwhite via Send to Kindle PC app (for non-Amazon books) or download them from the Cloud (for Amazon books).

I delete the overwhelming majority of read books from my reader immediately after finishing them - I might want to re-read some of them eventually, but it's rare that I'll want to do it in the next few years. They're all on my computer (and backed up on external hard drive and in a cloud) anyway.

I quite understand the sense of "I want to keep everything on the reader because I never know what I want to read next" but for me, keeping a few hundred unread books from various genres on the Kindle at any one time is good enough - besides, I work from home and spend most of my non-reading time at my computer, so if I get an urge to read anything else, Send to Kindle is quick, doesn't require finding the USB cable and can be done in a minute.

It takes far less time to browse my Calibre library and send a book (when I've found one that looks appealing) wirelessly directly to the Kindle than it would to browse for an appealing-looking book on the reader itself.

And for those times when I'm not near my computer, e.g. when travelling .. well, the few hundred TBR books on the device itself will be more than sufficient for choice, especially since I don't necessarily have much time to read when on holidays, other than on a train or plane or at the most half an hour before sleep.
To me this seems normal or moderate usage. I gather that a slight or not so slight minority prefer to have less than 10 books on their device with a slight majority prefer to have less than 50.(arbitrary figures )

I would have every ebook on my reader if it was practical even if I had a million

It isn't practical even on the Sony which handles collections beautifully with a perfectly working slidebar with previews or the sadly missed alphabetical lookup. Too many books, make it harder to browse. Still it is pretty convenient up to 4,000. (I once put every PD book I could find, articles and various PDF's on the Sony just to see if it could handle them. It was working fine at 8,000 but my brain couldn't handle it) Did the same on another newer reader and 12 hours later it was still not opening the shelf list

I hink your approach is normal and well balanced. I actually think all of the ways people choose to use their readers are perfectly fine but I want an ereader with every book I want to read at my fingertips instantly. Of course I want a lot of things, and seldom expect to get them.

Helen
Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 AM   #203
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, as long as eInk readers are black & white (great for reading!) and relatively slow (i.e. marginally slower than a computer - not a problem when reading, but makes browsing large collections time-consuming), I don't think I'd even want more than ~200-300 books on a reader at any one time even if the reader can handle it without crashing, just because browsing on a 6'' black-and-white screen on a relatively slow device is not my idea of fun.

When I don't know exactly what I want to read next, I'm not going to need search (for author/title) - I want to browse. Titles will do (and is what I do on the Kindle) but when I'm really unsure, I admit I prefer to browse in (full-colour) cover view on Calibre because that can sometimes give me a better "instant" idea of what the book's about, at least genre-wise, and of the tone. Also, having blurbs/descriptions right there at hand instantly is a plus.

Basically, as long as ereaders don't let me do that, I have no real desire to have my entire collection (which is not as large as some people's, but still over 1600 books) on my ereader. I do appreciate that other people pick their next reads in a different way though and the idea of having your entire library always with you can be very appealing - for me, it's just not practical (and again, 99.9% of my reading is done less than two feet away from my computer which is one of the places that houses that entire collection so it's always at my fingertips anyway).
Old 09-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #204
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I would have every ebook on my reader if it was practical even if I had a million

It isn't practical even on the Sony which handles collections beautifully with a perfectly working slidebar with previews or the sadly missed alphabetical lookup. Too many books, make it harder to browse.
The barriers to navigating your books on a device have started to fall away. Comfortably navigating your entire library may not have been practical previously but using my new Nexus 7 and Calibre Companion (CC) it is very practical to have as many books as you like on your device.

Using CC you have access to most all of the features for locating your books as you do in calibre. Grouping using Author, Title, Series, Ratings, Publisher or any custom column and Sorting by multiple fields. Plus use the same searches you use in calibre to locate a particular book.

I have my entire library on my Nexus because I can and it provides a nice backup of all of my books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #205
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Navigating your ebooks on your reading device has gotten easier, though it still can use some improvement. The biggest issue is that the major book reader apps all seem to consider more than a handful of books as unusual, so they don't really consider organizing books as an issue. On the iOS side, iBooks and Marvin do a reasonable job of organizing books, though both are a bit lacking in certain areas.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #206
Yapyap
Guru

The Kindle iOS app finally has collections now as well, so this will probably be helpful for a lot of people. And navigating/browsing on tablets is definitely quicker and more pleasant than on eInk readers, even without excellent organisation features - but that's only helpful for people who don't mind reading on tablets and have a tablet as their ereader.

I haven't tried a Kobo or a more modern Sony than my old 505, so I don't know how pleasant browsing is on their eInk readers, but it's really something I don't particularly like doing on my Kindle (I do use a handful of broad genre-based collections but with less than a dozen titles per page and a somewhat useless cover view, browsing the collections to see if something catches my eye is no fun for me).
Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #207
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
The barriers to navigating your books on a device have started to fall away. Comfortably navigating your entire library may not have been practical previously but using my new Nexus 7 and Calibre Companion (CC) it is very practical to have as many books as you like on your device.

Using CC you have access to most all of the features for locating your books as you do in calibre. Grouping using Author, Title, Series, Ratings, Publisher or any custom column and Sorting by multiple fields. Plus use the same searches you use in calibre to locate a particular book.
Got to agree. I've just been playing around with CC on my Nexus 7 and put all of my books on it for the heck of it and I'd love this kind of functionality/browsability on an eInk reader.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #208
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Sure, browsing on a tablet is a lot easier than browsing on an eink reader. The increased CPU power does help some here.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #209
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Sure, browsing on a tablet is a lot easier than browsing on an eink reader. The increased CPU power does help some here.
No doubt, but I think it far more dramatically has to do with the nature of eink displays, designed for slow refresh to achive stable static text display, and tablet LCDs, designed for fast refresh to accommodate movement.

I.e., an underpowered LCD tablet will likely still give a better browsing experience than a super-charged eink reader.
(proof-of-concept video on eink notwithstanding.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #210
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post

I have my entire library on my Nexus because I can and it provides a nice backup of all of my books.
ahh If only it were Eink. LCD/LED screens do not hurt my eyes but I far prefer reading on EINK screens. When I bought my first tablet I read two books immediately using the tablet. Didn't hurt, wasn't annoying, but when I went back to my old PRS-600 I breathed a sigh of relief. The book looked much better on the tablet, but I was vastly more comfortable with the ereader.

I've yet to try out Calibre Companion, but it is on my todo list. Maybe I can use it just for browsing

Overall I am pretty comfortable browsing with 2,000 or so books on the Sony as long as I don't have too many types of collections. I can have authors, or I can have series, but if I have both it seems confusing. Either way I can generally select a book in a minute or two.

Helen