Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #61
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Got my Glo upgrade here in Aus today (18/12)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #62
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
"You haven't worked in a big project, have you?"

"Big project" is, I suppose, a relative term, in your case no doubt based on how many people were hired to do something... The systems I referred to control about a million dollars worth of equipment per installation. Which is about 1/4 to 1/6 of the equipment at each plant. They sold for an aggregate of a few million USD and were sold at 400% profit, or five times what they cost to build/install to the private manufacturing sector. It was a nice little niche...

I don't define the size of a project based on how many people are hired to work on it... I define it based on what must be done to accomplish the desired goals. I've done more with less throughout my entire career -often because we had less to do it with. I am not a fan of bloat, waste, or paperclip counters or an endless series of meetings and reports and "managers" that in no way move a project forward. The smaller the core group the better, as far less time is required to communicate vs. actually accomplish. The only organism with more than four feet, multiple heads, and no functioning intelligence is a committee.

People who make blanket statements like "None of the projects I've worked could have been done only by a person.", make me wonder. Unless you're basing that on the timeline alone, nearly any project can be completed by one individual of sufficient competence. It just generally takes longer, and you have to WORK. When I designed the prototype that I mentioned, and it was a complex system flexible and elegant enough to be redefined by a "monkey" -or at least a person with no programming ability, to fit other similar plants with widely varying equipment layouts within the particular manufacturing industry, I worked 60-80 hour weeks for 18 months or so. But, it was a labor of love, really and I was working to gain half a corporation before my thirtieth birthday. I didn't work completely alone, except programming, I had a fellow retired from AT&T who did part ordering, and took over prototyping hardware once I'd built initial breadboarded designs.

Frankly, I think most IT teams are far too top heavy with "managers" who can't or don't, are buried in too many gaant charts, flow charts, and diagrams, and spend far too much time writing reports detailing why they're not making progress by blaming other teams and dependencies.

My process is simply to take a problem, break it down into manageable chunks and then further subdivide until each can be dealt with, and then do it. My docs are written as comments as I write code -with a time/dated progress log at the head of each file being edited, and if you can't figure out how the code works and follow it's evolution between the log and the comments provided you are not yet qualified to touch my code -go back and read it until a gestalt forms. Period. End of sentence. I am verbose and I lean toward simplicity.

By the way, the derisive or dismissive nature of your comment wasn't lost on me. I filed it in the category I reserve for other people given to describing how large something they are in some way attached to, or may be attached to them, is... do you by any chance drive a flashy red sports car?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The book is Blindsight by Peter Watts, a free epub from Feedbooks. Deleting and reloading the book didn't help. I leave the book on page 160 of 259, and when I reopen the book the page number shows 160, but upon closer inspection it is actually on page 155, so when I turn the page it correctly advances to the next page and the page number changes from 160 to 156.

So the problem is not that it turns to the wrong page, just that it is opening the book at the wrong page while displaying the number of the page that it should have opened at rather than the one it actually did open at.
I don't know what is happening. I grabbed the book and put it on my Glo. I went to page 160, exited the book and reopened it. It opened to the correct page (same text in top line). I tried a few different things, including opening at the front and paging through to 160 (I was on hold tapping to the musak). That still kept the same page when I closed and reopened the book.

Note: Page 160 will be the same place no matter what the font and other settings. The reader used for epubs defines a page as either 1000 or 1024 characters.

On a slightly related point: What's the book like?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #64
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post

By the way, the derisive or dismissive nature of your comment wasn't lost on me. I filed it in the category I reserve for other people given to describing how large something they are in some way attached to, or may be attached to them, is... do you by any chance drive a flashy red sports car?
Not, not really, a second hand car, like all my life. And it wasn't dismissive, the size of a project is not really according of the equipment it's going to control. Anyway, I think we can agree to disagree about software development and forget it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #65
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
If I read that wrong, or took your meaning in a way other than intended, my sincerest apologies are offered. Sometimes, text is an insufficient medium for discourse. Possibly, language is a barrier as well. Certainly, I am not by nature a team player, or as much of one as I'd sometimes like. Again, my apologies.

However, I do stand by my stance on compact teams and manage-bloat. I'll bet on the underdogs every time -they just want it more.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #66
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know what is happening. I grabbed the book and put it on my Glo. I went to page 160, exited the book and reopened it. It opened to the correct page (same text in top line). I tried a few different things, including opening at the front and paging through to 160 (I was on hold tapping to the musak). That still kept the same page when I closed and reopened the book.
I did a factory reset, reloaded the book from calibre, no changes to font settings or anything, but the problem still occurs with that book. It opens at a different pages, somewhere from page 153 to page 159, but never at page 160. The only thing I can think of is that if it is related to a chapter bug then this book doesn't have numbered chapters as such, only three parts appear in the TOC.

Quote:
On a slightly related point: What's the book like?
Quite good so far. Author is a marine biologist but this book doesn't seem to draw directly on that background, so I'll be interested to read some of his other books which do.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #67
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
My lovely little Glo updated to 2.3.1 yesterday evening.
France.
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #68
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Pushed to my KT in Australia this morning. The battery seems to be plummeting and you now must use the hardware button to go home from reading. Now cannot save notes connected to highlighting and still no notes for bookmarks. On the plus side pdf works a bit better. I only hope that the battery drain is not due to this update but something else. We'll see.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #69
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
2.3.1 on Glo failed for me. Got the Dancing Squares. Deja vu all over again.

Finally had to do a factory reset.

And, of course, the website is down, so I can't authorise my device.

I used to worry about single points of failure, with Kobo there are so many that I should just stop worrying about them and be happy!
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #70
baggins
baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
My Glo (purchased in UK) is still on 2.1.5. No upgrade yet.
baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #71
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I manually updated mine and it worked fine.
Noticed a few improvements.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #72
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I did a factory reset, reloaded the book from calibre, no changes to font settings or anything, but the problem still occurs with that book. It opens at a different pages, somewhere from page 153 to page 159, but never at page 160. The only thing I can think of is that if it is related to a chapter bug then this book doesn't have numbered chapters as such, only three parts appear in the TOC.
That was one of the things I was looking for. I have seen some other reports about reopening a page or two off. What I thought it could have been was a bit of inaccuracy the further the bookmark was from the reference point. That doesn't seem to be case.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #73
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
2.3.1 on Glo failed for me. Got the Dancing Squares. Deja vu all over again.

Finally had to do a factory reset.
Was that with a manual upgrade, or was it pushed to you?

No trouble here with a pushed upgrade, happily.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #74
fx3000se
fx3000se began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I manually updated mine and it worked fine
to what version?
fx3000se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #75
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Both my Touch and my wife's Glo updated this morning to 2.3.1 over wifi this morning in Nova Scotia, Canada.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote