Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Game of Thrones app keeps track of the characters so you don't have to

I thought this was pretty neat:

Quote:

If Game of Thrones has you interested in tackling George R. R. Martin’s six-book A Song of Ice and Fire series but you’re put off by the story’s hundreds of characters and locations, there’s new hope. Mashable reports that Random House’s new iOS companion app called A World of Ice and Fire has all the maps, character biographies, and family trees you’ll need to keep the sprawl under control.

...Random House was careful to avoid spoilers with A World of Ice and Fire. The first thing you’re shown when you open the app is a Books Read menu that sets just how much information the app can divulge. You can also jump to the iBooks store from here to shop for books in the series if you don't already have them.
Link

If only they had one for War and Peace.

Last edited by holymadness; 11-27-2012 at 03:29 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I might use this. I have an ebook set of a few of the books that I got but I had a hard time getting into it. I wonder if this would help.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
There is one called game of thrones that I used to use on the iphone which I now have on my galaxy note. There is also one called Westero which has better maps. I've used it on both ios and android. However I think the Xray function on the kindle is probably just as good or better.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
If only they had one for War and Peace.
My printed version of "War and Peace" comes with a bookmark with all the family trees printed on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My printed version of "War and Peace" comes with a bookmark with all the family trees printed on it.
Lucky guy, you got a well made edition of that book!

I would also like this kind of app for Dostoyevsky's Crime and punishement.

Love the idea!
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
There aren't 6 books, yet.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
>>...Random House was careful to avoid spoilers with A World of Ice and Fire. The first thing you’re shown when you open the app is a Books Read menu that sets just how much information the app can divulge<<

When I saw the thread title, I was going to say, it would be so great if it knew how far you've read and only gave you info up to that point. That is making an app that's better than a printed version! Choosing what books you've read is fantastic. Even better would be something integrated with Kindle that updates what pieces of information to show, as you are reading.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Looks like they made an app from the first season DVD extras.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Sounds like http://towerofthehand.com/books/guide.html
Has the same ability to define your place/spoiler limit, tons of maps, etc.

I couldn't have gotten through the books without it.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
App doesn't work for me. Loads fine, but won't let me select which books I've read. iPad 3, 6.0.1 firmware. Total dud.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, iPhone
Yes!
I have one on my phone, I guess it's the same one, from when the last book came out.

It's great if you have been reading these for years because there is such a huge gap in between books that you forget what's going on!

Also, it's awesome for Kindle etc because you can look at the maps.

Unbelievably, it truly is a helpful little app for a reading fan

Last edited by jarrahloh; 12-02-2012 at 05:23 PM.
jarrahloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have all the books, but I'm waiting for the series to finish before reading them. I hate reading an incomplete series!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I have all the books, but I'm waiting for the series to finish before reading them. I hate reading an incomplete series!
Finish?? Ha!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, iPhone
Quote:
So you you get all the books, then wait 10 years to read them???
jarrahloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrahloh View Post
So you you get all the books, then wait 10 years to read them???
Sure. My "TBR" list is WAY more than 10 years long .