Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Device: Prs 350
Book causing PRS 350 to freeze?

My PRS 350 has started freezing. I've been waiting for the last 10 minutes for it to "go to" page 120 from page 109. It's just sitting there with the circular arrows icon, doing nothing. It has also been freezing completely and refusing to turn off, even when pushing the reset button. When it is refusing to turn off, the only way I have found to get it to turn off is to connect it to the computer while it is frozen, and eventually it turns itself off and starts charging. I have done a hard reset, but that hasn't changed anything.

It has suddenly occurred to me that maybe it isn't the PRS 350 that is the problem, but the particular e-book. I've just switched to another book and the problem doesn't seem to be happening there. Is it possible that a faulty epub could cause the reader to freeze and refuse to turn off? The book in question was fine until I got to about page 100 out 150, then all the problems started.
skypilotpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, it's very, very possible, real indeed.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Double that.

If it's a DRM-free EPUB, try a EPUB to EPUB conversion with calibre.

BTW. when you press the Reset-Button, the reader IS turned off. BUT the last shown image will stay infinite on screen, other then with most other (LCD) devices, where a reset clears the screen.

After a reset, you have to switch on again, to get it going.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the tips. In particular, it's helpful to know that "reset" does not clear the screen. I just thought it wasn't working.

There must have been something majorly wrong with the epub, because when I added it to Calibre, it caused Calibre to stop responding for quite a long time, before it finally struggled back to life. I have now converted the book to .lrf and my reader is not having any trouble with it.

Last edited by skypilotpete; 02-16-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
There are some epubs that just seem to confuse the hell out of the 350 for some reason.

It'll also happen with a large, graphics-intensive .pdf; that can just hang for an eternity.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
You could've tried talking to it very, very firmly.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Think it's not old enough, so it doesn't undestand yet...
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
skypilotpete

I've threatened to leave it for a Kindle!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Oh, that's cruel....
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
If you cant get the pdf or epub to read on your 350 ....I would recommend converting it to rtf.....that Almost always works.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote