Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
multiprose
Connoisseur
multiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
eink reader -- external keyboard?

i want to do minor editing of text documents. is there any eink reader that allows this thru a connection of an external keyboard thru usb or bluetooth?
multiprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiprose View Post
i want to do minor editing of text documents. is there any eink reader that allows this thru a connection of an external keyboard thru usb or bluetooth?
Obliviously, to support an external keyboard the reader's OS needs to have either Bluetooth drivers or a USB port that supports USB OTG Host mode.

I am not aware of any mainstream device (Kindle, Nook, Sony, etc.) that meets these requirements out of the box, and though you may be able to hack one of them, or find a lesser known eInk device that fits the bill, I am not sure that the results would necessarily be to your liking.

I say this because I assume that the whole reason you are looking for external keyboard support is because you want easier text entry then that offered by either the Kindle's small built in keyboard, or one of the touch readers on-screen keyboards, while preserving the portability and battery life of an eInk device.

Even the best eInk screens update very SLOOOOWLY compared to LCD's, so you would have a fairly significant lag in seeing what you are typing. Also, the fact that the eInk screen has to at least try to update for each character that you are typing will pretty drastically cut down your battery life (so with heavy note taking you would probably have to recharge every day anyway).

So, even if you succeed in hooking up an external keyboard, I am not sure that an eInk device will ever meet all of your requirements due to their other built in limitations.

So if your note taking requirements are really so extensive that you are thinking that you need and external keyboard, for the best possible text entry experience I would consider an Android tablet with a nice sharp LCD screen that supports a Bluetooth keyboard, and just deal with the somewhat shorter battery life.

On the other hand, if you are doing field work out of doors and full sun readability is your number one concern, then you may still want to pursue the eInk option, and hopefully someone will chime in here with an eInk device with the required Bluetooth or USB OTG hardware and driver support.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Sony T1 and the Nook Touch are both android and rootable, so it is possible that one of them might support this in the future. The T1 has a micro-USB port and I assume that the Nook does too.

Saying that, it hasn't been done yet to my knowledge, and it may or may not be possible. But definitely rootable Android is the way to go for people who want to get more out of their e-reader.

I don't know if the typing lag will be a show-stopper. Notably, the T1 has been reported as having faster screen refresh than previous models like the 650.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I think you should browse the Pocketbook subforum. When I remember it right it is possible to use an external keyboard with the latest firmware.
And yuryfdr has written a text editor for the Pocketbooks:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158571
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I think you should browse the Pocketbook subforum. When I remember it right it is possible to use an external keyboard with the latest firmware.
And yuryfdr has written a text editor for the Pocketbooks:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158571
and now another user, rkomar, has put togeter a little programme that allows for editing of EPUB files (just go to the end of the thread linked by Billi).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Writing on the e-ink Kepler Tablet from Onyx with BT Keyboard

"Writing on the e-ink Kepler Tablet from Onyx with BT Keyboard using the Texteditor app."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywYzZuZmLjc

Seems a bit of a hassle. It would be much easier if Onyx would bring out a plug and play keyboard.

Onyx let me know some time ago:

"Sorry, after analysis, we are not going to released BOOX Writer, cause now our device could connected with a bluetooth keyboard to be a typewriter."

So I just asked them if it might be a good idea for Onyx to make a keyboard for their latest e-readers...

I would prefer a USB connection, but don't know if that would work on their latest models.

Last edited by Lode; 11-07-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Wasn't there an old Kindle reader that had a physical keyboard built into the reader?
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #8
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Yes, but that can't compare to this for example:

"Onyx Boox T68 UHDML. Using of External USB Keyboard and Mouse. The same works with M96"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAG-pYuXdg0

The uploader of that clip posted all the way down that he utilized this:

"External Keyboard Helper Pro"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rdhelper&hl=en

There are many new combinations shown on YouTube I see now... looks increasingly more promising for those among us who want to type on an e-ink screen as fast and easy as on a laptop.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote