Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #46
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
amazon will sell more ebooks today than all other ebook sales in history
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #47
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Guys, don't make any conclusions just yet.
It the first day! They have just announced the product. Quite possible that in 1 week time when service is up and running, free of the very first obvious glitches the overall picture will look a bit different from what we can see today.
Well, I can certainly draw one valid conclusion- this reader is PUG-UGLY! I mean, seriously, this clunky thing is below undergraduate design-class quality. Did design for this device get outsourced to BFE or Somalia?

Even the Rocketbook, with its capability to read html and download websites looks better than this turkey. But I guess it is an appropriate time to bring a turkey to market <G>.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #48
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
amazon will sell more ebooks today than all other ebook sales in history
Well, thats a bold statement, i wonder if that is true.
It would definately be true, if Kindle Editions would be available for more readers than just the Kindle.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #49
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Did anyone follow the comments on Engadget...it did not sound like most people there were overwhelmed...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #50
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrimm View Post
Well, I can certainly draw one valid conclusion- this reader is PUG-UGLY!
Hey I have a pug and she isn't ugly!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #51
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Well, thats a bold statement, i wonder if that is true.
Yes, I live on the edge

Never has an ebook reader been so highly visible. You wouldn't know a sony reader existed unless you were explicitly looking for something like it. Millions visit amazon's home page daily, and its now in their face nov/dec.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #52
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Hey I have a pug and she isn't ugly!
I also have a Pug, and she is ugly.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #53
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I'm emailing publishers but I've heard back from one, Harlequin, and they aren't making any ebooks exclusive to the Kindle. I bet that is going to be true for most publishers, if not all.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #54
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Yes, I live on the edge

Never has an ebook reader been so highly visible. You wouldn't know a sony reader existed unless you were explicitly looking for something like it. Millions visit amazon's home page daily, and its now in their face nov/dec.

-d
True, but since, the price is fairly high, i doubt there will be more eBooks sold today by Amazon than all ebook sales before. While the visibility to the broad public is great, it is still too expensive. And i too would like to buy the NYT Bestsellers to read them on my iLiad or CyBook. So i assume, the ebook sales will not explode that much.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #55
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I'm not sure why they insisted in putting that large keyboard on it. Yes, I know there are features that use the keyboard, but I for one carry an EBook reader in order to read ebooks. My Sony reader is nicely sized for that purpose. I am concerned that the keyboard will interfere with comfortable reading.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #56
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I'm not sure why they insisted in putting that large keyboard on it. Yes, I know there are features that use the keyboard, but I for one carry an EBook reader in order to read ebooks. My Sony reader is nicely sized for that purpose. I am concerned that the keyboard will interfere with comfortable reading.
I agree. I'd rather see a separate little USB keyboard and have a reader the size of the Sony.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #57
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Did anyone follow the comments on Engadget...it did not sound like most people there were overwhelmed...
You're a master of understatement.
That said, Sony readers weren't really welcomed there either.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #58
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
LOL. I think they were more positive about the second Reader incarnation, but my memory could serve me wrong.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #59
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It seems to me most comments on readers are from people who don't get the technology and probably aren't big book readers. Sadly there were folks there today that do get it and were still disappointed in Amazon's pricing, design and anti-competitve tactics.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #60
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I'm emailing publishers but I've heard back from one, Harlequin, and they aren't making any ebooks exclusive to the Kindle. I bet that is going to be true for most publishers, if not all.
Now that is the only good news I have heard today. I certainly hope your bet turns out correct. I'll certainly continue to monitor Sony's list of offerings.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote