Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
jeasdown
jeasdown began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Help with pdf file on new kindle

Hi all

I am trying to put a pdf ebook onto my kindle that is roughly 35mb in size. When i download it onto the kindle I just get blank pages throughout the whole book.

When I convert it to mobi using calibre it does work on the device but is very small. The kindle then wont allow me to zoom in or change font size.

Does anyone have any remedies for this. Almost all of my other pdf's work, and when a little small i can just use the zoom function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Jon
jeasdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think you have those two scenarios backwards. Many pdf files that are just images of pages will show only blank pages when you attempt to convert to .mobi, because there is no text to convert. And, you cannot change the font size of a pdf file using the normal font-size change button. You should be able to zoom in, though.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Email the PDF to Amazon for conversion.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeasdown View Post
Hi all

I am trying to put a pdf ebook onto my kindle that is roughly 35mb in size. When i download it onto the kindle I just get blank pages throughout the whole book.

When I convert it to mobi using calibre it does work on the device but is very small. The kindle then wont allow me to zoom in or change font size.

Does anyone have any remedies for this. Almost all of my other pdf's work, and when a little small i can just use the zoom function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Jon
It does sound like this one is just scanned images. You would need to run it through OCR. Find someone with Acrobat (or the equivalent) and have them do that for you (and while they are at it, have them reduce the file size after the OCR—it will probably drop 50% or more in size). Then you can use it as a normal PDF file on Kindle, or possibly convert it.

If it is scanned images, Amazon conversion will not work at all.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #5
jeasdown
jeasdown began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks so much for the help so far.

I cannot send it to Amazom as it wont fit on an email. It exceeds the 25mb limit. hen i try to use the 'attach large files' option on yahoo its just shows an error each time I try.

Would anyone be so kind as to use the OCR?? option for me? (Dont know what that is.)

Would I even be able to email it to anyone? Isn't it too large a file.
jeasdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
kkzxak47
kkzxak47 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeasdown View Post
Thanks so much for the help so far.

I cannot send it to Amazom as it wont fit on an email. It exceeds the 25mb limit. hen i try to use the 'attach large files' option on yahoo its just shows an error each time I try.

Would anyone be so kind as to use the OCR?? option for me? (Dont know what that is.)

Would I even be able to email it to anyone? Isn't it too large a file.
why don't you upload it to a netdisk (ifile or filesonic or skydrive?) and paste the URL here.
kkzxak47 is offline   Reply With Quote