Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Slydini
Slydini began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Google Search annoyance on the Nook Color

I'm sure others have noticed this:

Typing a search on the classic Google homepage works exactly as it should. But after inputting your first search, Google adds a bottom search field that behaves independently of the search field at the top of the page. This creates a problem for all subsequent searches because pressing the Next button jumps to the bottom field rather than executing your search. This wouldn't be such a big deal if everything you typed in the top field mirrored everything that appears in the bottom field, but it doesn't -- If you press the Go button on the keyboard, it executes your previous search NOT your current one. The only way to resolve this is to retype your search in the bottom field or scroll back up to the top and press the Search button on the Google page.

I've been trying to be more cognizant of pressing search on the Google page rather than Next on the keyboard, but it's a hard habit to break! Is this the only workaround or is there another search engine that lacks the bottom search field? I've tried Bing, but it does the same thing. I think it would make more sense if the Next/Go button was replaced by an Enter button (Android phones already do this) but until then...

Anyone else have an alternate workaround?
Slydini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I don't know if this can be considered a workaround or not, but you could get into the habit of running every query through the device's search function. Pop up the menu, hit search, enter your keywords, and hit the "Search Web". One possible downside is that it'll show results from Google's mobile search page (google.com/m).
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert