Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #1966
cstout
cstout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The excitement was short-lived. It auto-updated to the latest firmware and after booting it is now sitting at a "Repair Needed" screen. Repair code 2.
cstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #1967
cstout

I made a "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" file and it did succeed but interestingly (to me) it restored to 5.6.1.0.5. I'll try the jailbreak process again now.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #1968
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstout View Post
The excitement was short-lived. It auto-updated to the latest firmware and after booting it is now sitting at a "Repair Needed" screen. Repair code 2.
Quote:
I made a "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" file and it did succeed but interestingly (to me) it restored to 5.6.1.0.5. I'll try the jailbreak process again now.
That combination of events is impossible.
It never left the version it was on.

You had the jb and the hotfix installed, you should still be jailbroken.
But the situation you describe is not a 'normal' result, so I am not certain what did happen.

It should not hurt to start over, and keep 'airplane mode: ON'
Better yet, turn off your Wifi access point.
DO NOT touch the 'reset' selection.

Last edited by knc1; 05-22-2017 at 08:41 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #1969
cstout

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That combination of events is impossible.
It never left the version it was on.
I would very much like to agree with you there but I very closely paid attention to (and took pictures of) version numbers every step of the way. New out of the box I was on 5.8.7.0.1. I restored to 5.5.0 as instructed. Applied the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz via ;installHtml command and then applied Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin which restarted. From there I was connected to my network and it downloaded and installed what I would have assumed to be the latest update which caused it to boot loop and arrive at "Repair Code: 2."

Using DO_FACTORY_RESTORE I've arrived at v5.6.1.0.5.

During the auto-download of the "latest" update it pulled down (which very well may have been 5.6.1.0.5 for all I know) I did plug the Voyage into my laptop which interrupted the download as I could tell by the presence of a ~100MB partial file at the root of the filesystem. When I realized it was already auto-updating I safely ejected and let it continue downloading. After it finished downloading, it arrived at the boot loop, which minutes later would show the repair code.

Also, I'm not positive it was still jailbroken after the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE process because I dropped "main-htmlviewer.tar.gz" back on the Voyage and ran the ;installHtml command and nothing happened.

I know forums are famous for flamewars so let me stress to the best of my ability that I'm not trying to challenge you or the information I've read and received through this forum. I'm just providing as much detail as possible to hopefully get the best help possible and provide a solution for anyone else that reaches my scenario. Thank you for your kind support!

PS. 5.5.0 successfully restored and I'm starting over right now.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #1970
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That was a qualified statement that you quoted.
It would have been nice if you had not cut out the qualification.

When I say that combination of events "was impossible" I do not mean that the settings reporting the version you observed was impossible, but that it was running the firmware version that was reported was impossible.

The current firmware version is 5.8.9.0.2 for your device.
Your device will not OTA update to anything other than current.

The ;installHTML command is a 'feature' of the factory production line testing build.
It does not exist in customer firmware builds.
I.E: It is not the version change that makes it possible to jail break the device, it is the change from running customer firmware to 'factory testing' firmware.

Last edited by knc1; 05-22-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #1971
cstout

Quote:
That was a qualified statement that you quoted.
It would have been nice if you had not cut out the qualification.

The ;installHTML command is a 'feature' of the factory production line testing build.
It does not exist in customer firmware builds.
I.E: It is not the version change that makes it possible to jail break the device, it is the change from running customer firmware to 'factory testing' firmware.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Thank you for your patience. I'm admittedly on this forum in the middle of a lot of personal distraction in my house (...kids, close to bedtime).

Thank you for clarifying the difference between the testing build and customer build. I didn't realize there was a significant difference such as that between what I was seeing.

The 5.5.0 restore, jailbreak, and jailbreak hotfix all applied properly on round two. Now, I am manually updating to 5.8.5 via the link provided in the original post. I'll report back what I find.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #1972
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -
But the situation you describe is not a 'normal' result, so I am not certain what did happen.
- - - - -
That is what I meant, that is the qualification which you cut.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #1973
cstout

Quote:
That is what I meant, that is the qualification which you cut.
I do apologize, it was not intentional. Alright, I'm on 5.8.5 and it's not auto-updating (at least not right now). It's registered and I got mrpi installed. I'm really very confused by step 8, however. I did my best and was able to run ;log mrpi which appeared to have worked properly. Then I added KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 to the documents folder and added "kual-kual-plus-0.2.N" and "kual-mrinstaller-1.6.N" to the extensions folder.

The Kindle launcher appears but it gives me the error, "This device is not authorized as a test Kindle by the developer of this item."

I feel as though I've missed a vital step but I'm not sure what it was...
Old 05-22-2017, 09:53 PM   #1974
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I do apologize, it was not intentional. Alright, I'm on 5.8.5 and it's not auto-updating (at least not right now). It's registered and I got mrpi installed. I'm really very confused by step 8, however. I did my best and was able to run ;log mrpi which appeared to have worked properly. Then I added KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 to the documents folder and added "kual-kual-plus-0.2.N" and "kual-mrinstaller-1.6.N" to the extensions folder.

The Kindle launcher appears but it gives me the error, "This device is not authorized as a test Kindle by the developer of this item."

I feel as though I've missed a vital step but I'm not sure what it was...
The combination of Kindle model and firmware version is one of those which had 'active content' documents disabled.
(It should only be disabled on gen. 8 devices, but Amazon/Lab126 is staffed by humans, they make mistakes.)

Install (using MrPI) the booklet version of KUAL.
You already have it, it is in the same archive you got the 'active content' version from.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 PM   #1975
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -
I know forums are famous for flamewars so let me stress to the best of my ability that I'm not trying to challenge you or the information I've read and received through this forum. I'm just providing as much detail as possible to hopefully get the best help possible and provide a solution for anyone else that reaches my scenario.
- - - - - -
Flamewars are very infrequent in this forum.

This thread should not be consider a fair example.
Because:
People do not need to be members to use these jail break instructions.
There are tens of thousands of success stories that we never hear. *
Only a few people register, just to say 'Thanks'.

Ah, but people that have problems, they register, to get help if possible.

So this thread is not typical, it only contains the non-success stories.

* That might be almost 1% of the Kindles out there.
And our advertising budget is much smaller than Amazon's.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 PM   #1976
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Better install NiLuJe's RP and CRP from his snapshots thread. You will never encounter this screen again! It will bump you into diags for further recovery of the main os.
A rescue pack is just to unlock diags and open up possibility to rectify any problems that may have happened.

Please + karma if you found this post helpful.

B.Baalaji
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #1977
cstout

Quote:
Flamewars are very infrequent in this forum.

This thread should not be consider a fair example.
Because:
People do not need to be members to use these jail break instructions.
There are tens of thousands of success stories that we never hear.
Only a few people register, just to say 'Thanks'.

Ah, but people that have problems, they register, to get help if possible.

So this thread is not typical, it only contains the non-success stories.
Well that makes me feel a lot better for asking this next question...and I apologize in advance. I've been reading and reading since your last post about installing the booklet version instead using MrPI and I just cannot figure this bit out.

I placed "Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin" in the root of the Kindle and ran ";log mrpi" which gave me the "hush little baby" message but I could not find any noticeable UI change. When I plugged back in the file was gone from the root directory. Then I tried placing "Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin" in the /extensions folder and running the same command. That gave me "hush little baby" and again, no visible changes. Also, the file remained which tells me that method was absolutely incorrect.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #1978
cstout

:-) wrong directory...I threw it in the mrpackages directory and voila...just found the line in the last post I was reading. I'll get there. Slowly, but surely...I'll get there.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #1979
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Well that makes me feel a lot better for asking this next question...and I apologize in advance. I've been reading and reading since your last post about installing the booklet version instead using MrPI and I just cannot figure this bit out.

I placed "Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin" in the root of the Kindle and ran ";log mrpi" which gave me the "hush little baby" message but I could not find any noticeable UI change. When I plugged back in the file was gone from the root directory. Then I tried placing "Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin" in the /extensions folder and running the same command. That gave me "hush little baby" and again, no visible changes. Also, the file remained which tells me that method was absolutely incorrect.
You have placed the bin in wrong places place it in /mnt/us/mrpackages
BTW /mnt/us is the visible lpart of the usb storage.
That is what you get to see on usb connection.
Hope this helps

B.Baalaji
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #1980
cstout

I got tired of waiting for the auto-update so I manually (and successfully) updated to 5.8.9.2. Like it was stated, the packages I had tested with had to be re-installed. I re-installed the booklet then re-installed python and linkss and was pleasantly surprised to see that the settings for linkss were retained after re-installation. What a battle to get book covers on the screen saver. ;-) worth it. Thank you all for your patience and help. I so greatly appreciate it and I'm thankful for all the contributors making this possible.