Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #91
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Those would be some expensive buttons!

I wish I had a Voyage to compare the text contrast myself. Coming from Kobo, I was concerned about the text boldness, but I'm using Ember Bold and it's great.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #92
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I don't really see much difference between my Voyage and my Oasis screen. They have a very slight difference in backround, but only would notice if staring at both of them side by side for some time. On side by side, I say that the Voyage has maybe a wee bit more contrast. Again, not noticeable unless staring at both. Its so slight though that its not really worth mentioning. I have one of the earliest production runs I would think as I pre-ordered it a year ago.

For me the button is worth it. It is my number one requirement for a e-reader. As long as they make buttons on e-readers, that is the one I will buy. It is non-negotiable for me. As a bonus the Oasis is the most ergonomic reader since the K1 and so so much lighter. It is a joy to hold. I do read out of the cover pretty much always, but for a few minutes here and there. Sometimes if I ran the Oasis down and it needs a charge, or if I am sitting in a waiting room.

As far as the sensor, I had liked it initially on the Voyage, but then it kept going up and down as I sat and read by a side lamp. Depending on how I tilted and I move a lot when I read so it started to annoy me. But I don't know whey they didn't put it in the Oasis for those that like it. I just turned it off, so no bother. But now those that like it don't have the option.
Would that have added so much production cost to add the sensor?
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #93
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've always been skeptical about the Voyage text being significantly better than the Oasis. I think the Oasis has some extra feature that is supposed to make the background whiter than the Voyage, but I'm not claiming that it actually does in practice.

I didn't care much about the buttons on the Oasis when I first got it. When I went from a Kindle Keyboard to a Kobo Glo, I was sure I was going to hate the touch screen for page turns because I hate any imperfection (like fingerprints) on my ereader screens. Interestingly, I came to not miss the buttons.

Surprisingly, I've regained my appreciation for the buttons with the Oasis; I like not having to move my thumb to turn the page.

I still wish the battery in the Oasis itself was larger. Even if it was only 25% larger, I think I would have been happy.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #94
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
- - - - -

Would that have added so much production cost to add the sensor?
They could have used less glue on the battery and perhaps come out even.

Last edited by knc1; 05-21-2017 at 05:51 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #95
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I was told with the charging case attached its the same thickness as the voyage. I also was debating between the two and got the Voyage. I want case choices not just 3. I am holding out on a kindle that is over 6" Also I want to go to a physical store to see it in person and BestBuy has the Voyage on display
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #96
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
I've always been skeptical about the Voyage text being significantly better than the Oasis. I think the Oasis has some extra feature that is supposed to make the background whiter than the Voyage, but I'm not claiming that it actually does in practice.
Any chance you could provide a link? I don't recall Amazon claimng the Oasis had a whiter background?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #97
mezzanine
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Any chance you could provide a link? I don't recall Amazon claimng the Oasis had a whiter background?
Don't want to go hunting, but I am sure of it, FWIW.

There was some discussion about why Amazon went away from the auto light adjustment on the Oasis; apparently it wasn't a popular feature on the Voyage and most most folks didn't use it.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:32 AM   #98
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Please?

If you don't have a link, it didn't happen.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:01 AM   #99
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The Oasis and the Voyage use the same screen, to the best of my knowledge. There's no reason at all that the Oasis would have a whiter background.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #100
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Oasis and the Voyage use the same screen, to the best of my knowledge. There's no reason at all that the Oasis would have a whiter background.
That's what I thought also. I've read conjecture that Amazon may be hand picking screens for the Oasis (or Voyage), but nothing from amazon about the Oasis screen being whiter.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #101
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
The only thing different I think is that the Oasis has 10 lights and the Voyage has 6, right? But that makes sense since the Oasis has them along the longer side. Mine look almost exactly the same. I think there are slight variations in the e-inks in general and that is not really noticeable on my devices.

They are about the same on the same light level too, a tad difference maybe.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #102
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - - -
You may have been reading an article about the other models that are available in either a black or a white case.

It was saying how the apparent contrast is different.
The white case makes the screen appear less white.

Currently, the Voyage and the Oasis only come in black.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #103
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Mine look almost exactly the same. I think there are slight variations in the e-inks in general and that is not really noticeable on my devices.

They are about the same on the same light level too, a tad difference maybe.
Ditto. I would not say the screen of my Oasis is particularly whiter than that of my Voyage. The text on the Voyage is slightly darker, but the difference is minor, to my eyes at least.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Ditto. I would not say the screen of my Oasis is particularly whiter than that of my Voyage. The text on the Voyage is slightly darker, but the difference is minor, to my eyes at least.
It's well-known, too, that there's considerable variation in the appearance of individual eInk panels. The fact that one Oasis has a slightly whiter background than a Voyage shouldn't be taken as an indication that this is a general state of affairs; the opposite is probably true for someone else.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #105
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have all three models of the Paperwhite and I've helped a lot of my neighbors get their own Paperwhites, again, all three models over the years. There's a lot of variation in individual devices as HarryT has said. In fact some of the Paperwhites of the same generation vary more than the difference in my Paperwhite 3 and my Voyage. Some even more than my Paperwhite 1 and my original Kobo Aura, and those are very different screens.

The differences I've seen are in color more than anything else, although there are sometimes differences in the evenness of the light. The colors vary a lot more widely than I would have expected.

Anyway I think before you can say with authority that one model is whiter than another you really have to compare a lot of devices. I don't think I've compared enough of them to say that and I've compared quite a few.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote