Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
Aqua-Andy
Aqua-Andy began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
I fired Barns and Noble!

It's like this, my glow light stopped responding and none of the fixes I know or could find will work. This is the third Nook reader that has crapped out on me. This time however the device is six months out of warranty, I called B&N and to see what they could do. B&N kindly offered to sell me a new Nook for $139 and told me that they don't offer refurbished units any more. I thought that was kind of them to offer the product for $10 more than I can purchase it at the store. So I went down to the store to purchase the new nook and I did not like the feel of it at all and what is with with the designs on the outside frame? It looks like something someone's grandmother designed. Couple all that with B&N not letting you download purchased books to a PC anymore and I was done with them! My wife bought me a Kindle Paperwhite for father's day. I really like the black case of the Kindle vs the white of my old reader.
Aqua-Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I think the choice of a Kindle over a Nook is a good one, at this time. I would certainly never buy an ebook at BN. Whereas I buy them from Amazon and Kobo all the time.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Though I fell into the Kobo camp instead of the Kindle camp, I think we can both agree that BN doesn't know what they're doing with their digital products, physical or electronic.

The Glowlight Plus is anything but Plus.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
mrwrite
Enthusiast
mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I agree, B&N is not taking the NOOK market seriously enough. I can't go to Kindle. Downloading the freebie ebooks from the Gutenberg Project (Gutenberg.org) is difficult with the Kindle.
I have bought several ebooks from B&N. It has been easy. The app store is (was) a minefield, and you learn to be cautions and skeptical when checking the user submitted books.
mrwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwrite View Post
I agree, B&N is not taking the NOOK market seriously enough. I can't go to Kindle. Downloading the freebie ebooks from the Gutenberg Project (Gutenberg.org) is difficult with the Kindle.
I have bought several ebooks from B&N. It has been easy. The app store is (was) a minefield, and you learn to be cautions and skeptical when checking the user submitted books.
Sorry to slip off-topic, but why is it difficult? I just went to gutenberg.org using the browser on my Kindle and downloaded The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain. Am I missing some other functionality that other readers can do?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #6
mrwrite
Enthusiast
mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In 2014, Kindle efforts to download from Gutenberg resulted in failure due to Amazon using the same computer address to access the site for downloads. This caused Kindle users to be blocked. It looked like thousands of robots downloading from the same URL. I believe that problem has been fixed. But that was when I was shopping for an e-reader.

There was a buzz about problems getting gutenberg downloads with the Kindle Fire, but it was a simple fix. (Download with computer, then move it to Kindle.) I don't know if this is a problem NOW.

I somehow slipped into the present tense during the first posting.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Andy View Post
It's like this, my glow light stopped responding and none of the fixes I know or could find will work. This is the third Nook reader that has crapped out on me. This time however the device is six months out of warranty, I called B&N and to see what they could do. B&N kindly offered to sell me a new Nook for $139 and told me that they don't offer refurbished units any more. I thought that was kind of them to offer the product for $10 more than I can purchase it at the store. So I went down to the store to purchase the new nook and I did not like the feel of it at all and what is with with the designs on the outside frame? It looks like something someone's grandmother designed. Couple all that with B&N not letting you download purchased books to a PC anymore and I was done with them! My wife bought me a Kindle Paperwhite for father's day. I really like the black case of the Kindle vs the white of my old reader.
It's going to end up with Amazon with like 90% market share in dedicated ereaders but dedicated ereaders will be like 0.1% of the total market when you include tablets and phones.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:52 AM   #8
mrwrite
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
It's going to end up with Amazon with like 90% market share in dedicated ereaders but dedicated ereaders will be like 0.1% of the total market when you include tablets and phones.
I suspect you are right. Items that do only one thing often get replaced.
(Anyone remember pocket electric photo albums?)

Lucky for us epub is still a popular format, so there will be plenty to read with
more than a few readers that work on a computer.

As for the price of a reader at B&N, I see that many of the Nook devices are sold on Amazon.com!
Old 08-21-2016, 02:00 AM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I don't disagree with your choice. I'd be pretty fed up if three units in a row failed. I did want to comment that, yes you can download your books to your pc if you are running Windows 10. Get the Nook app from the Microsoft Store. There is another thread here that has additional info. Worked fine on my desktop.

I still have all three of my Nooks and they continue to work perfectly, so quality must have been affected in later models.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have a Glowlight Plus and I never had issues. Once it told me it would not start for it was too cold ( odd?) So I sat on it and warmed it up LOL

The only issue I have really is the print seems to be too light or the "glow" is too bright making the e-ink look faded? and it can be slow moving compared to the Voyage.

I use the Kindle Voyage the most but I still use a Nook for I had a lot of books on the B&N platform and it bothers me to no end that Amazon dominates the market on everything. If B&N come out with a new e-reader I will buy it for I would rather support a local book store over an internet giant like Amazon.

I would like to see KOBO get sold at BestBuy or another national chain. We need more options in the market
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I would like to see KOBO get sold at BestBuy or another national chain. We need more options in the market
I can say that Kobo Readers do allow you to increase the weight of the fonts. So yes, you do get better contrast. Also, you can side load the fonts of your choice. I'm using a font I've edited and added weight to and it looks very noce on my H2O.

Compared to Kobos, Kindles look faded.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote