Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-15-2015, 12:25 AM   #1
dman003
dman003 began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab 10.1
Ubuntu calibre upgrade

I have already installed Calibre that is in the ubuntu repository. I need to upgrade to the lastest Calibre. My question is how do i do it?

Do I directly install what is mentioned here http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux ?

OR

Do I uninstall the calibre that I have and directly install the stuff mentioned here http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux ?

I want to make sure that nothing happens to the books I have.
dman003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:32 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Uninstall the version from the repositories, then install the binary installer from the calibre website. If you have both installed at the same time... well, they try to own the same files. e.g. /usr/bin/calibre*

As for your library, the library and config data are not touched except when you run calibre. And switching from distro calibre to binary calibre will NOT harm your files anyway.

And just in case you are interested in keeping calibre up to date, see: Fully automatic calibre installer/updater for linux
Disclaimer: I wrote it, so of course I am biased. But I really do think it is a must-have.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ubuntu, upgrade