Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FBReader
[Old Thread] Want Auto Get New without deleting original

I have Kindle For PC, Kindle Fire and Calibre. According to the Calibre Auto Library setup, if I setup Calibre to detect and load a new book from the "My Kindle Content" folder it will put it in Calibre and delete the one in :My Kindle Content. Bit I use the K4PC so I don't want the original deleted.

How can I set up the Auto Detect and Load feature without deleting the original?
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
I have Kindle For PC, Kindle Fire and Calibre. According to the Calibre Auto Library setup, if I setup Calibre to detect and load a new book from the "My Kindle Content" folder it will put it in Calibre and delete the one in :My Kindle Content. Bit I use the K4PC so I don't want the original deleted.

How can I set up the Auto Detect and Load feature without deleting the original?
If it does not delete from the Auto-Add folder, how does it tell when it needs to Add the Book.

It might be nice to have a option to Move to Folder (The default is the Trash Folder) when done adding.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If it does not delete from the Auto-Add folder, how does it tell when it needs to Add the Book.

It might be nice to have a option to Move to Folder (The default is the Trash Folder) when done adding.
In my programming days I did a lot of auto updates based on the last date updated. My work was mostly with databases and all of mine had a timestamp field. Anything newer than the last timestamp is new otherwise nothing to do. It is a very normal and common thing. In fact it's bad form to rely on something like a title to determine a new record.

In the case of Calibre, with manual updates possible, you need to deal with that in the duplicates function. Either allow dupes or don't - an existing option.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Could be wrong but I thought it was implimented to allow multiple users on a network to add books to calibre without the risk of corrupting the database and that this was a fairly straightforward way of doing that but that a dedicated folder was required?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
You can't. The auto-load folder currently always deletes content as it is added to the library.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
In my programming days I did a lot of auto updates based on the last date updated. My work was mostly with databases and all of mine had a timestamp field. Anything newer than the last timestamp is new otherwise nothing to do. It is a very normal and common thing. In fact it's bad form to rely on something like a title to determine a new record.

In the case of Calibre, with manual updates possible, you need to deal with that in the duplicates function. Either allow dupes or don't - an existing option.
In your programming days, your programs did not check files with time zones from/in all over the world, using all sorts of native character sets and running on multiple operating systems

Heck, I hear that Windows (saved) file names are not the same from version to version , let alone XP,Vista and W7 which Calibre does support
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
OldLincoln
Zealot

Thanks for the replies and for Calibre. It does so much I got carried away. Adding manually is not that big a deal.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
KazperB
KazperB began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It would use something called hashing to keep track of what files were added, and which weren't. It's not particularly hard and it ignotes any problems with timestamps, char sets, etc. nicely.

Note that I'm not complaining about Calibre - it does wonderful things, and no one can expect everything from any software - particularly not something we get for free - but it's certainly a solvable problem, and the problem is relevant for some of us.
KazperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome to Mobileread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazperB View Post
Note that I'm not complaining about Calibre - it does wonderful things, and no one can expect everything from any software - particularly not something we get for free - but it's certainly a solvable problem, and the problem is relevant for some of us.
If the problem is relevant to you then start a new thread and make your case. Additionally how to submit an enhancement request is outlined here.

Moderator Notice
The thread you are posting to is a year old. There was an Old Thread Warning below your reply window that you either didn't see or chose to ignore. As a general rule necroposting should be avoided.

Quote:
Old Thread Warning
Quote:
This thread is quite old and may contain outdated information. We recommend that you begin a new discussion if you like to talk about a similar topic. Of course, you may also proceed and reply here.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-05-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On Windows I Download everything into a NewDownloads folder, which is monitored by a small program called Watch 4 Folder.

When anything arrives the first thing it does it to add it to the current download archive (yyyymmdd_download_archive.rar).

If an ebook arrives it also copies the file to the Calibre AutoAdd folder, when Calibre Adds the file to my "New Books" library it deletes it from the Calibre AutoAdd folder, that's cool because I still have the original in the NewDownloads folder and in the daily archive (which is on an external drive).

My partner does something similar on her Mac with a program called FolderWatch.

In linux I would write a script around iNotify.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-05-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
On Windows I Download everything into a NewDownloads folder, which is monitored by a small program called Watch 4 Folder.

When anything arrives the first thing it does it to add it to the current download archive (yyyymmdd_download_archive.rar).

If an ebook arrives it also copies the file to the Calibre AutoAdd folder, when Calibre Adds the file to my "New Books" library it deletes it from the Calibre AutoAdd folder, that's cool because I still have the original in the NewDownloads folder and in the daily archive (which is on an external drive).
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
KazperB
KazperB began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
First of all sorry for Necroposting - I did miss the warning, and didn't even think of it as an issue, since this thread is 100% relevant for the issue I was having, so I'd pretty much be repeating it verbatim...

Secondly thanks for sharing your solution BetterRed! It's somewhat cumbersome as a workaround but it'll work, and I'm grateful for it
KazperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Secondly thanks for sharing your solution BetterRed! It's somewhat cumbersome as a workaround but it'll work, and I'm grateful for it
For me it's not a workaround, its a common solution for different data types. I do similar things with other data - music gets shuffled off to quod libet, images from my camera and elsewhere get handed off to iMatch, Matlab models get moved to my modelling library. And all downloads get backed up within minutes of their arrival.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-05-2013 at 07:30 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
First of all sorry for Necroposting - I did miss the warning, and didn't even think of it as an issue, since this thread is 100% relevant for the issue I was having, so I'd pretty much be repeating it verbatim...
The mod notice on your post is mostly for other folks who will pop in. A sign post to educate the masses. The Old Thread Warning does say you can still post to the thread.

Ninetyeight percent of the posting to old threads in calibre forums are to threads that have been passed by because of changes to the program. In those cases I will often move the post to its own thread. Your post remained because as far I could tell the topic and your post were both still applicable.

Personally I hate boards that are so anal about old threads that they are automatically locked when ever they are revived.

Quote:
Definitely a reasonable workflow solution to the situation.