Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
PaperWhite, screen protector, or not?

I put screen protectors on regular ereaders. Nook Glowlight says not to, because of light guide layer. How about PaperWhite? Will the light guide layer be damage? (I put protector over Sony PRS-900, which has a touch layer, performance was not affected. So I assume Kindle touch layer works the same way. )
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, KSO, Nook, iPad
I put a protector on mine and it works flawlessly. I'm careful with my electronics, but my rule is that if I'd "cry" over a scratch or any other cosmetic damage, it gets a screen protector and a case.

My phone on the other hand, is a painfully cheap feature phone. I've been plotting its death for years, never put it in a case or used a screen protector, and the D#%$ thing still works perfectly. It's just taunting me, knowing how much I don't like it, but I just can't justify buying another one until this one breaks!
PocketGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Oh, absolutely not. It is not necessary.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
I would say no to adding another layer between your eyes and the text.
Besides, the PW screen has a very nice texture, has no glare, and resists fingerprints very well. A screen "protector" would cost you all of those advantages.
And it would cost you money.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
I would say no to adding another layer between your eyes and the text.
Besides, the PW screen has a very nice texture, has no glare, and resists fingerprints very well. A screen "protector" would cost you all of those advantages.
And it would cost you money.

It doesn't cost that much. Walmart sells a set of 2 for $5.88.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, KSO, Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
It doesn't cost that much. Walmart sells a set of 2 for $5.88.
Agreed--for me the cost was technically $0, since I got a three pack a couple of years ago and still had two left.

It's awfully convenient that the screen size on the various Kindles is the same.

PocketGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Like mentioned I see no reason to put another "barrier" between you and the text. Kindle already has more layers compared to its competitors so you should try not to make it worse.

However, if you are asking about a case which protects from hits and crashes, that's a completely different point.
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
PW seems to have a harder and more scratch-resistant screen surface than previous Kindles. I don't think a screen protector is the way to go, it is unlikely to prevent a cracked screen if someone steps on your Kindle or something like that. And it can only reduce clarity of the text.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
Perhaps someone could indicate what these plastic films protect the screen from.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ back in the days of the resistive (?) touch screens, they were potecting my devices from the sharp stylus and my fingernail, that I used to use when there was no stylus at hand. Nowadays....maybe cat claws if you have one? My dog has jumped up on my poor kindle screens a few times and there was never a scratch, so it may be a cat thing....
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

And back in the PDA days way before Gorilla glass a lot of guys would carry their PDAs in the same pants pocket as their keys, and ladies would often carry them in their purse. Those early devices had inferior glass compared to what is used today, so they could scratch easily.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
^ back in the days of the resistive (?) touch screens, they were potecting my devices from the sharp stylus and my fingernail, that I used to use when there was no stylus at hand. Nowadays....maybe cat claws if you have one? My dog has jumped up on my poor kindle screens a few times and there was never a scratch, so it may be a cat thing....
There were some reports that the Nook Glowlight was easily damaged by artificial fingernails, which can be very hard.

My Kindle Touch has a scratch that appeared the first day I got it. Never figured out how it happened. So that screen needs some protection.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There were some reports that the Nook Glowlight was easily damaged by artificial fingernails, which can be very hard.

My Kindle Touch has a scratch that appeared the first day I got it. Never figured out how it happened. So that screen needs some protection.
I wonder if it came with the scratch? My touch stays unprotected, no screen guard, and I've got two very curious cats. No scratches ever to any of my Kindles.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Weird, I never protect my kindles/tablets and, again, I even have my dog up on them, but they show narry a scratch!
But I have never had fake fingernails, so maybe those are worse than my dog's claws.

The Nook Glowlight is an entirely different issue: something makes those screens ultrasensitive.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote