Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
RossK
RossK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v4
Which version

What version of Calibre do I have to go back to to find one that works on XP Pro v. 5.1.2600?

The current version works fine on my Win 7 machine, but on my fully updated XP Pro machine it hasn't worked for months.
RossK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossK View Post
What version of Calibre do I have to go back to to find one that works on XP Pro v. 5.1.2600?

The current version works fine on my Win 7 machine, but on my fully updated XP Pro machine it hasn't worked for months.
9.1(portable), 9.1(regular) works great on XP (Pro) SP3
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I run XPpro sp3 on two different machines and have had no difficulty with any version of calibre from the early v0.7.x through the current 0.9.1.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
RossK

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
9.1(portable), 9.1(regular) works great on XP (Pro) SP3
Someone told me I could get help with problems on a forum like this. Are you saying 9.1 works great on my XP Pro SP3 machine or on your XP Pro SP3 machine? And what part of the problem is that supposed to fix on my XP Pro SP3 machine?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Hopskinny
Enthusiast
Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I am successfully using v0.8.69 with WinXP Pro SP3 because it has the beta drivers for MTP (I have a Nexus 7).

However, the developer of Calibre has explicitly killed off support for those drivers with WinXP. Ergo, if you want to use the MTP drivers with XP, you can only go as far as v0.8.69. If the drivers are of no interest to you, you can use any version beyond that.

I have never had any problems with any version of Calibre with XP Pro SP3 until the issue arose with the MTP drivers. My experience and that of the earlier posters in your thread suggests you may be asking the wrong question. It isn't a matter of going back to find a working version - rather there seems to be something wrong with the installation on your XP PC.

Last edited by Hopskinny; 10-06-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Hopskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Someone told me I could get help with problems on a forum like this. Are you saying 9.1 works great on my XP Pro SP3 machine or on your XP Pro SP3 machine? And what part of the problem is that supposed to fix on my XP Pro SP3 machine?
Works on Mine (both) and 10,000's of others, so it is kind of hard to figure out why yours doesn't work. Especially from your lack of detailed description of you actual system configuration, details (and debug Log files if possible) of what happens (and where it stops working). Also mention the results of anti-virus/malware scans.

AND since you mentioned (college town) if you have full administrative rights to this PC and unhindered network access (no college run firewall).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
RossK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopskinny View Post
I am successfully using v0.8.69 with WinXP Pro SP3 because it has the beta drivers for MTP (I have a Nexus 7).

However, the developer of Calibre has explicitly killed off support for those drivers with WinXP. Ergo, if you want to use the MTP drivers with XP, you can only go as far as v0.8.69. If the drivers are of no interest to you, you can use any version beyond that.

I have never had any problems with any version of Calibre with XP Pro SP3 until the issue arose with the MTP drivers. My experience and that of the earlier posters in your thread suggests you may be asking the wrong question. It isn't a matter of going back to find a working version - rather there seems to be something wrong with the installation on your XP PC.
Thank you very much. I'll look into this MTP drivers thing.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
RossK

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Works on Mine (both) and 10,000's of others, so it is kind of hard to figure out why yours doesn't work. Especially from your lack of detailed description of you actual system configuration, details (and debug Log files if possible) of what happens (and where it stops working). Also mention the results of anti-virus/malware scans.

AND since you mentioned (college town) if you have full administrative rights to this PC and unhindered network access (no college run firewall).
It always puzzles me when people say a question should be asked better. You have to be an expert to ask questions to suit an expert, but if I were an expert I wouldn't to ask. If I start out with a long detailed explanation usually no one will even bother to read it. So I post and wait for people who know the subject to ask for details that are actually useful.

1. The actual problem is that it will not load anything.

2. I'm running XP Pro SP3+ on a Lenovo Thinkpad T60P. I don't even know what debugging files are, let alone how to get and send them. I run 2 different anti-malware programs. One subscription with an excellent "watch dog" (Emsisoft) service all the time. I do a full scan on alternate days with this and MalWareBytes. Less frequently with SAS. I never run but one watch dog. Something turns up maybe 2 or 3 times a year. It's been maybe 3 years since a real zinger came up that nobody's Anti-V caught. One of those that hides a bunch of files and charges you to get them back.

I've used Calibre scores of times over many months with never a problem loading. Then one evening I went to convert the same kind of file from the same folder as always. The "Adding" window with the activity bar popped up with the 0% figure. I got up (as usual) and went about some other matters. When I got back 45 minutes later, the activity still showed 0% and it has acted that way ever since.

I've tried loading from different folders. At one time it would load from a folder on my desktop, but even that failed after a while.

Calibre will still convert files I had already loaded previously, apparently just fine. But it will not load anything new, even though it is clearly visible both on Calibre and Explorer windows. If I remove anything on the previously loaded list it is gone. It will not reload.

As I said, it works as usual under Win 7 (although much more slowly.) Sometimes (running Calibre on Win 7) I load the same files across the network from the XP machine to the Win 7 machine without problems.

My memory is getting really bad, but I can't think of ever seeing this kind of behavior before.

I have nothing to do with the university and am the sole user/admin on both machines although there's a lot I don't know about all that.

Last edited by RossK; 10-12-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:

It always puzzles me when people say a question should be asked better. You have to be an expert to ask questions to suit an expert, but if I were an expert I wouldn't to ask.
The trouble with your question was that it started off with a failed assumption and the only answer that exists for that question is to use the newest version of calibre. With the exception of not supporting MTP, which wasn't even a feature until recently Calibre works great Windows XP Pro. So the trouble you experience is unique to your computer.

Review this FAQ and whenever you see it mention Anti-virus think Anti-malware as well.

Quote:
1. The actual problem is that it will not load anything.
...~~~...
I've used Calibre scores of times over many months with never a problem loading. Then one evening I went to convert the same kind of file from the same folder as always. The "Adding" window with the activity bar popped up with the 0% figure. I got up (as usual) and went about some other matters. When I got back 45 minutes later, the activity still showed 0% and it has acted that way ever since.
Does it load or does it get stuck on a conversion?

Quote:
Calibre will still convert files I had already loaded previously, apparently just fine. But it will not load anything new, even though it is clearly visible both on Calibre and Explorer windows. If I remove anything on the previously loaded list it is gone. It will not reload.
So it does start?

When you have calibre open click the dropdown arrow to the right of the preferences icon and select Restart in debug mode. Now that it is restarted run calibre until it breaks for you, then exit or close calibre and post the resulting text.

You might attempt again at explaining exactly what you do to trigger an error. Are you using the current version of calibre?

Try installing calibre portable, use a completely separate folder. Then copy your library to the calibre portable folder. Run calibre-portable and using the library icon switch to your copied library.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote