Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
Lord Byron
Lord Byron began at the beginning.

Device: none
Questions for PRS-T2 Owners

Hi guys:

I just wanted a cheap electronic/ eink notepad solution. Here are my questions:

1. Looking at the specs it has a IR pearl screen. So the stylus is just a plastic nib right? Or is it a special IR type stylus?

2. I already have a rooted Nook Simple Touch. Would a t2 be pretty much the same thing as far as accuracy and latency?

As far as a note program, all I need is just a few different line thicknesses and shades of grey and black (to differentiate topics) saved in a simple png or jpeg.

I searched the pdf manual and tons of review youtube videos for the T2 (as well as some of these forum topics) but none go into the notes options deeply.

thanks in advance for any ideas.
Lord Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #2
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I've used a PRS-T1 and PRS-T3 and can confirm the stylus is just ordinary plastic. You can use any item of appropriate size and shape if you don't have the original stylus (or just use your index finger, as I do).

I don't use the notetaking function so I can't help you there.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
As 4691mls said, the stylus is just a plastic nib. And (also the same as 4691mls) I don't use the Note Feature (hardly at all). But when I do use it, it feels kind of like using an Etch-a-Sketch. I don't think there are any options for line thickness or darkness. It just toggles between draw and erase. If I took notes with a T2, I would probably use the onscreen keyboard.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I forgot that the T2 even came with a stylus. It's just a big plastic thing so any stylus would work. I love the integrated stylus of my T600. Why Sony stopped that, I don't know. That was a nice metal stylus with a hard plastic tip.

I've never used the note feature at all but I do use my T2 every day to read on.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do like the screen better on the T2 than on the NST. Between the two, I'd go with the Sony but I love Sonys so I'm always gonna say that.
Advert
Old 01-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
Lord Byron

Thanks for the quick reponse guys!

rcentros it feels kind of like using an Etch-a-Sketch.

That's hilarious. It actually looks like Etch-a-Sketch writing.

4691mls ..stylus is just ordinary plastic.
Hemmi It's just a big plastic thing so any stylus would work

Its wierd guys cuz those Sony stylus always looked so thin tipped and since I haven't found any equivalent that worked on my Nook IR screen (nothing better than a cotton swab at the moment) I could have sworn that it was different technology at play.. the only real difference I know of is the sony's do support multi-touch where the older nook doesn't--- interesting.

I'll probably pick up a break up t1/t2 just to experiment but this feedback was very helpful- thx again

Last edited by Lord Byron; 01-27-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

The T1/T2 stylus actually has a big ole rounded end, nearly the size of one of those ballpoint pens where the pen tip clicks out of the soft rubber end. The Sony tip is a hard end though. Not nearly as delicate as the 600 or 700 end on those styluses. A bit bigger than the end on the 350 stylus.

I forget that the T1 & 2 came with styluses since there's no way to keep them with the reader, even with an official Sony case, and I've never found a need for them since all I want to do is read on them.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I adnotate once in a while some passages

ANYTHING works since the resolution is small and the method is based on IR (like in trip alarms). For instance the finger in a glove

There is no settings on the adnotations, these are simply bitmaps stored in the meta directory of the individual book. SInce these are bitmaps, changing the font size, thus forcing a repagination, would change the location of the bitmap and it would adnotate other parts of the epub (eg page 3 contains now a different text than at the adnotating time).
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Byron View Post
Its wierd guys cuz those Sony stylus always looked so thin tipped ...

I'll probably pick up a break up t1/t2 just to experiment but this feedback was very helpful- thx again
The PRS-650s also had really nice styli. A stylus, apparently, became an afterthought with the T Series. (I've attached an image of a T2 stylus just in case you haven't seen one. Not my picture, just one I found on the Internet.)

You might want to check out Shop Goodwill (if you live in the U.S.) for deals on T1s and T2s. They come up quite a bit there.

www.shopgoodwill.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t2stylus.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	169345  
Old 01-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I forget that the T1 & 2 came with styluses since there's no way to keep them with the reader, even with an official Sony case, and I've never found a need for them since all I want to do is read on them.
My original T2 is in a Kindle/Kobo M-Edge case and I'm able to hook the stylus in the straps beside the T2. Not that I ever use the stylus, but it's there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190128_165236.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	169353  

Last edited by rcentros; 01-28-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
Lord Byron

Yeah, when I said the sony's stylus "thin tip" I guess I was referring to the prs-650 and 350 stylus. Weird how clunky it got with the T-line. The only change they made was the operating system (from custom linux to android shell) Doesn't seem like that would be the reason though.

Thanks to you all for keeping this thread going but after posting this thread I discovered a perfect (well for my uses anyway) android 2.0 program that will do all the note taking I need. It's called Maplepaint and it's perfect- so I'm just gonna stick it out longer with the Nook (even if I look silly writing with a cotton swab inside a bic pen for my current stylus)..

Best to you all.

Last edited by Lord Byron; 01-28-2019 at 08:00 PM.