Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 10:22 PM   #46
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Apologies for my non-participation here, it has been a crazy couple of weeks. (Fun for the most part but crazy.)

Since there isn't much time left I will just third the three nominations with 2 so far:
  • The Winner by David Baldacci - I have enjoyed the Baldacci I have read which is a plus. Not sure how "deep" they are though.
  • The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain - A classic
  • The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith - Her The Price of Salt was selected for September's literary club and nominated early last year for the book club but we haven't read anything by Highsmith in the NLBC.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Poll's up.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2019, 07:11 AM   #48
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, I've never read a book by David Baldacci, but it looks like I can get a copy from the library in plenty of time to read it [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
[...]
  • The Winner by David Baldacci - I have enjoyed the Baldacci I have read which is a plus. Not sure how "deep" they are though. [...]
At the risk of knocking down my own nomination, I would describe most of Baldacci's books (that I've read so far) as good but not great; competent but not inspired. I don't think "deep" really comes into it; his books are for entertainment, many of them seemingly written-for-filming. The Winner is one of his earlier works and has enough interesting points that I think we'd find plenty to talk about.

But for that that might seem damned by faint praise, they are typically easy and enjoyable reads, although I must say that his attempt at YA fiction really didn't work for me. (The Finisher is the first of a dystopian YA series that I have not been tempted to follow on with - this first book got better near the end, by then I was already disenchanted.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote