Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-01-2021, 11:14 AM   #76
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Those 'special offers' are a big part of why I don't buy a Kindle. They try to spin it like they are saving the customer money. But I can buy a comparable Kobo or Nook for the same price (or less!) and have no ads at al.

I'm a pragmatist, so my point of entry is always what I *would* be willing to pay for a given device. I detest ads generally, so when I consider buying a Kindle, it is always at a discount and always factoring out the pointless expense of choosing no ads.

Every company is likely to disappoint us by imposing unnecessary limitations, notably in terms of formats, features and forced upgrades.

I've owned a Clara HD for three years and an Aura HD ever since it was introduced. I've noticed that neither plays well with USB-C-only PC laptops even when I use an adapter hub, but the Oasis I just purchased works perfectly as an external storage device. The Clara and Oasis each excel at doing things the other does not despite the fact both are eInk eReaders of comparable generations. And both can be sneaky about trying to force firmware installs even when you choose manual-only options. I tend to turn off WiFi on both.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #77
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
A *reset*, not just a reboot? That wipes all content! Are you sure this is necessary?
Sorry I meant a reboot. Just turning it on and off again.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Sorry I meant a reboot. Just turning it on and off again.
You can't actually turn off a Kindle unless it's jailbroken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #79
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
None of mine are jailbroken. I don’t see the point. The officially correct word for what I did is a “Restart”

Last edited by Josieb1; 05-01-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:16 AM   #80
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is something I dislike about mine. I don’t use it often and it seems to deplete battery faster than both my Kobo GloHD and my PRS650.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #81
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
On the Kindles showing covers on the lock screen--does this work with sideloaded books? All my books on my Kindle are sideloaded through Calibre (even the ones purchased from Amazon). Just curious--my Kindle wifi stays off almost all the time--wondering if I should turn it on and let the kindle sync up to get this feature.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:02 PM   #82
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
On the Kindles showing covers on the lock screen--does this work with sideloaded books?
They are supposed to work, yes.

But look around the boards. There are reports of it not working. I don't have a Kindle myself to confirm or deny.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:46 PM   #83
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
On the Kindles showing covers on the lock screen--does this work with sideloaded books? All my books on my Kindle are sideloaded through Calibre (even the ones purchased from Amazon). Just curious--my Kindle wifi stays off almost all the time--wondering if I should turn it on and let the kindle sync up to get this feature.
I can confirm that sideloaded covers work via calibre. I have an Oasis, I do a google search for the best quality cover I can find, resize to the dimensions of the reader (Oasis 1264 x 1680) to avoid the black bars down either side, replace in the metadata then send to kindle. Screenshot from Kindle attached.

Books are in AZW3 format with -60px left and right margins (not relevant to cover but thought it might be of interest as I hate wide margins).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2021_05_02T19_43_24+0100.png
Views:	170
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	186879  

Last edited by grizedale; 05-02-2021 at 02:51 PM.
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #84
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post

Books are in AZW3 format with -60px left and right margins (not relevant to cover but thought it might be of interest as I hate wide margins).
I hate margins so much I've removed them from all sides at the firmware level after jailbreak. No more messing around with editing individual books (sorry about lo res pic) .
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #85
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
They are supposed to work, yes.

But look around the boards. There are reports of it not working. I don't have a Kindle myself to confirm or deny.
All of my books are sideloaded and the covers show just fine on my Voyage.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:25 AM   #86
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
I can confirm that sideloaded covers work via calibre. I have an Oasis, I do a google search for the best quality cover I can find, resize to the dimensions of the reader (Oasis 1264 x 1680) to avoid the black bars down either side, replace in the metadata then send to kindle. Screenshot from Kindle attached.
How did you get a screenshot from the lock screen? After all, this entire thread is about showing book covers on the lock screen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:20 PM   #87
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How did you get a screenshot from the lock screen? After all, this entire thread is about showing book covers on the lock screen.
Seems to me you just have to take it from an SSH session in the minute or so after you lock the kindle before it goes to sleep.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #88
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Seems to me you just have to take it from an SSH session in the minute or so after you lock the kindle before it goes to sleep.
For kindles that don't hibernate, I've been able to ssh in for days after it has gone to sleep without it leaving the sleep screen (provided it is not in USB mass storage mode. If wifi ssh is enabled I suppose you could ssh over wifi without it leaving sleep screen even with USBMS enabled, but I have never enabled ssh over wifi and don't know. But you would have to catch it when it is listening on wifi.)

When hibernating in airplane mode and USBMS disabled, I generally have to wake up the kindle to ssh in (and bye bye sleep screen.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #89
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
...If wifi ssh is enabled I suppose you could ssh over wifi without it leaving sleep screen...
Exactly.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:50 AM   #90
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
But is that the major reason the nook tanked?

I bailed on Nook when they stopped letting me download my books from the website. I wasn’t a fan of the software, but not being able to make backups was a deal breaker for me. And I couldn’t root it. The tools didn’t work for my ancient model, so I switched to Kobo. I actually preferred the Nook software over the Kindle, but it was the locking down of books that turned me away. I know I wasn’t alone in that at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote