Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-27-2021, 10:19 PM   #16
kuromusha
Connoisseur
kuromusha began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, PRS-T2, PRS-T3, Boox T68, Boox Poke 3
Sony PRS-350 vs. Onyx Boox T68 vs Poke 3, Search Function Comparison

Unfortuately Poke 3 is the worst out of the three if you also listen to audiobooks

https://youtu.be/OCKZ3ve_lWo

Hopefully Boox will fix it, it is just a software update. But in 7 years they actually made it worse.

Last edited by kuromusha; 04-28-2021 at 12:15 AM.
kuromusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:23 AM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromusha View Post
So far, I think the T68 is still a better reading device ....
For that, the 6.8 inches are too small for me (I want 8 inches with 300 dpi) and the 6.8 are too big for on the go - the Poke 3 is unbeatable
In addition, the screen can not keep up in terms of contrast, sharpness, quality of illumination already at that time with the Kobo H2O and certainly with those of modern devices.
And in my opinion, that is more important for reading than finding a passage in an AudioBook in the standard reading app, where there are other Android applications that can do that much better and which may not work at all on the T68.
Conclusion: the T68 already had strengths but also strong weaknesses back then; it cannot be compared with modern devices, if only because this screen format has not proven itself.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 04-28-2021 at 01:27 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:31 AM   #18
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hopefully Boox will fix it, it is just a software update. But in 7 years they actually made it worse.
Why should they care about a feature that almost nobody needs and that exists in other Android applications as well - which probably do it much better!
Boox devices are Android devices!
And Boox applications are important exclusively in Note devices and there in the Notes area.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 04-28-2021 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:49 AM   #19
kuromusha
Connoisseur

@ottischwenk No... Boox are ereader devices, Android is the OS.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:11 AM   #20
kuromusha
Connoisseur

so in your opinion, what is the best reader app on the poke3
Old 04-28-2021, 02:34 AM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
@ottischwenk No... Boox are ereader devices, Android is the OS.
No... Boox are not ereader devices.
Read what it says in German when booting: Tablet wird gestartet.
And the NeoReader can not, for example, what is important to me: left-aligned - it is useless for my needs.
Boox is excellent in hardware and operating system - but that's it.
The NeoReader is extremely weak and can be easily outperformed by almost all reading apps available in the Google Play Store.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:59 AM   #22
kuromusha
Connoisseur

okay, you are right. after discovering the app store... holy shit

Last edited by kuromusha; 04-28-2021 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:24 AM   #23
kuromusha
Connoisseur

so far I tried Koreader, FBreader, Moonreader and Librera reader.

All of them have various defects
Old 04-28-2021, 03:37 AM   #24
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
so far I tried Koreader, FBreader, Moonreader and Librera reader.

All of them have various defects
I prefer Alreader.
OReader, the default reading application of the Kepler Pro and I assume also of the T68 is the Onyx customized AlReader.
But the AlReader is not easy to configure.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:27 AM   #25
kuromusha
Connoisseur

I think I am going to settle on Koreader, seems to have everything I need.

Good search function, good dictionary function, good formatting and font functions
Old 04-29-2021, 09:35 AM   #26
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
AlreaderX is my favorite.

AlreaderX download

This version compiled for Onyx e-ink.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 04-29-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:37 AM   #27
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
okay, you are right. after discovering the app store... holy shit
If you deactivate the google store it will increase battery life. Most apps can be sideloaded and installed as apk files.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #28
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I prefer Alreader.
OReader, the default reading application of the Kepler Pro and I assume also of the T68 is the Onyx customized AlReader.
But the AlReader is not easy to configure.
AlreaderX version I posted is far better. Simplified UI and designed for eink and Onyx specifically. Night mode also works easier. Standard Alreader UI is a nightmare, though very fine ereader app.