Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #46
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
You're talking about eInk refresh times (which all current eInk devices suffer from), not the stylus itself.
That's true. But the end result is the same--stylus input is less than ideal because of the lag in the display.

I'm interested in something I can write on as easily as paper, but the technology just isn't there yet. E-ink displays refresh to slowly so you don't get the real time feel of writing on paper. Tablet PCs don't have that problem so much, but I have a hard time writing small and legibly in the margins of PDFs etc. like I can on printouts.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #47
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
That's true. But the end result is the same--stylus input is less than ideal because of the lag in the display.

I'm interested in something I can write on as easily as paper, but the technology just isn't there yet. E-ink displays refresh to slowly so you don't get the real time feel of writing on paper. Tablet PCs don't have that problem so much, but I have a hard time writing small and legibly in the margins of PDFs etc. like I can on printouts.
That's certainly true. My point was just that "slow stylus input" is not useful as a relative comparison between eInk devices. The slow response time is a factor of the eInk technology itself, not any difference between devices.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #48
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
True, not really good for comparison. The real point is point is that new e-ink devices offer stylus mark up worth paying for currently. And the tech for that is probably a ways off and may never get there due to how e-ink works.

We'll likely be stuck with LCD tablets for a long time for those who need to mark up PDFs etc. to get any use out of a PDF ereader etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #49
JohnClif
Enthusiast
JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, PC/Mobipocket Reader, Palm T3
Again, why not pay $485 for a device that can display native PDF files in A4 format? Especially when the nearest competitor is almost twice as much?

As one responder noted, MOBI support on the iLiad DReader is poor. With the DX you get great MOBI/AZW support and good/great PDF support. That means I can use one device to read reports, publications, and books. The IEEE and ACM libraries are now usable on an e-reader.

Better yet, I see a HUGE market for Kindle DX-formatted websites. The device is finally big enough to be feasible for reading websites. Or even online magazines... Lenswork would be among the interesting PDF magazines that would be readable on the DX.

Finally, although Whispernet is a cool feature, a little foresite (or a laptop) makes it non-critical for downloading books from Amazon while on the road. I can buy any book I want from Amazon and then download it to my tethered Kindle with just a couple more mouse-clicks and in about the same time.
JohnClif is offline   Reply With Quote