Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #46
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Anyway, all this discussion about installing a better app, I don't know if it makes a lot of sense. If I'm reading it right, Tolino is not an open Android ereader, but you have to root it for installing any app (similar to installing koreader in Kobo). so, I think "you can install your app" doesn't apply from the beginning.
Part of the charm of this forum is that you can find the resources to install pretty much anything on anything. I already linked to them when I chimed in, so I won't repeat myself.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
If I had to buy it, I would root the Kindle and slap my preferred app on it the first thing. Same as with Kobo. A fresh Kindle does not do epubs in the first place, as far as I know. This has been a decisive factor for me to avoid Kindles altogether...
I don't understand the hang-up about formats. With Calbre it's easy enough to convert formats on the fly. You can have a disk full of ePubs and have Calibre convert them to mobi, KF8 or whatever Kindle format on the fly. I make kepubs of my books, because I like how Kobo handles that format better.

Who cares if a Kindle read an 'epub' so long as you can read your epubs on it?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
At least there is a specific Koreader build for Kindle available here.
But most Kindles you buy will come with a firmware you cannot jailbreak. Could even be no new Kindles will be able to be jailbroken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #49
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't understand the hang-up about formats. With Calbre it's easy enough to convert formats on the fly. You can have a disk full of ePubs and have Calibre convert them to mobi, KF8 or whatever Kindle format on the fly. I make kepubs of my books, because I like how Kobo handles that format better.

Who cares if a Kindle read an 'epub' so long as you can read your epubs on it?
Makes sense if all you have is your Kindle for reading your ebooks. I have

- mobile phone
- computer
- two ereaders in constant parallel use because they have different screen sizes that I use for different purposes.

I need to keep my ebooks in sync on all of them on the fly. I don't read for myself only, but I need to display to others, and when I add something on any random device, all other devices must be able to display it instantly. Given my situation, it is categorically out of the question to convert a part of my ebooks for one single device. Either the device can read it all or I simply won't buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But most Kindles you buy will come with a firmware you cannot jailbreak. Could even be no new Kindles will be able to be jailbroken.
Let's suppose so. So what? (Let's ignore for now that any time Americans launch an electronic device, the Chinese and Russians have already reverse engineered it a week earlier.)

Last edited by mobama; 02-12-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Makes sense if all you have is your Kindle for reading your ebooks. I have

- mobile phone
- computer
- two ereaders in constant parallel use because they have different screen sizes that I use for different purposes.

I need to keep my ebooks in sync on all of them on the fly. I don't read for myself only, but I need to display to others, and when I add something on any random device, all other devices must be able to display it instantly. Given my situation, it is categorically out of the question to convert a part of my ebooks for one single device. Either the device can read it all or I simply won't buy it.
I can't imagine a situation where I'm reading a book on my Kobo, I put the Kobo aside and must be able to pick up my phone and have the book instantly and seamlessly synced. Then my battery dies and I have to whip open my laptop and find the exact paragraph, stat! Come on people! Millions of lives are at stake!

How tense a situation can you be in for that to be so? Your life is way more interesting than mine I guess.
Advert
Old 02-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #51
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With Kobo, you can increase the weight of the fonts system fonts and that increases contrast.
Contrast is more properly difference of tone in two adjacent areas. Increasing the font weight or bolding does nothing to alter the contrast in the proper sense. You could just as well increase the font size. Changing the contrast is more appropriately changing the gamma of the font.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Not sure any of this helps in comparing a Kobo Aura and a Tolino Shine 2 HD.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:26 PM   #53
Pulpwood
Make my Day
Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, KA1 LE
Feeling great sympathy for the OP @swapjim for having this thread abused.
Pulpwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Contrast is more properly difference of tone in two adjacent areas. Increasing the font weight or bolding does nothing to alter the contrast in the proper sense. You could just as well increase the font size. Changing the contrast is more appropriately changing the gamma of the font.
Does it really matter? Increasing the weight of the font can make it easier to read in low light and just easier to read in general.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #55
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, that video shows very wide margins on the Kobo. But, that's because the reviewer set them that way. If you watch it, they show the reading settings for the Kobo at 1:46. That shows the margins settings nearly at the middle of the slider.
Yep. I've attached 2 images of my Kobo Aura H2O, with the slider for margins set to as narrow as possible and to as wide as possible. You normally just slide the slider to wherever in between you prefer (barring books with weird CSS layouts, of course).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Narrow.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	578.3 KB
ID:	162336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wide.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	162337  
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #56
swapjim
swapjim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anyone know if the Tolino can change line height?

I don't care about PDF. How is HTML, TXT, and RTF support in the two devices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
The Kobo reading software offers slightly more fine tuning of the page presentation
Can you elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have an original Kobo Aura (212 PPI) and a Nook Glowlight 3 (300 PPI) that the better half uses.

If you compare the two side by side, the Glowlight's screen is clearly better. But it's not so superior that it has made me want to abandon my Aura. For day to day use, I don't think the jump in PPI is nearly as important on an e-ink device as it is on a tablet.

At this point, if my Kobo were to curl up and die, I'd replace it with whatever device offered the features I consider important. The screen PPI wouldn't be as important to me.
You know what, I didn't consider Nook Glowlight 3 as a candidate. It's on the same price range as the Tolino and Kobo and has 300ppi screen.

How does Glowlight 3 fare against the original Aura? How is support for HTML (unstyled and style-override), RTF, and TXT in both devices?

Last edited by swapjim; 02-16-2018 at 10:06 PM.
swapjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:17 AM   #57
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapjim View Post

Can you elaborate?
The Tolino simply offers these fine tune options:

1 Publisher's formatting, on or off
2 Font choice
3 Font size
4 Line spacing - 3 choices
5 Alignment - 3 choices
6 Margin width - 3 choices.

The hyphenation is poor, in my opinion, but one can access the hyphenation dictionary via a computer and change it (JSWolf has published a much better one elsewhere on this site).

I regard my Tolino as a solid, basic reader for epubs. The screen is excellent.

The Tolino is my backup reader now - I use a Pocketbook HD as my main reader.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:25 AM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
The Tolino simply offers these fine tune options:
Taking the church mouse's list and adding details for Kobo and tolino

1 Publisher's formatting, on or off
- On the tolino, if this is on, the only thing you can adjust is the font size.
2 Font choice
- Kobo: 10, tolino: 6.
- Both have a publisher font option and you can sideload your own font on both.
3 Font size
- Kobo: At least 24, tolino: 11
4 Line spacing - 3 choices
- Kobo: 15
5 Alignment - 3 choices
- Kobo: 3 but they are different. Kobo's is "Off" meaning whatever is in the book or the default on the device, ragged right and justified. Tolino's is justified, ragged right and centred.
6 Margin width - 3 choices.
- Kobo: 9
- The tolino's choice are probably the about the same as the second, third and fourth narrowest of Kobo's.

The above is comparing a tolino epos with a Kobo Aura H2O. The other Kobo devices are the same, and from what I can see, the tolino's are all the same as well.
Quote:
The hyphenation is poor, in my opinion, but one can access the hyphenation dictionary via a computer and change it (JSWolf has published a much better one elsewhere on this site).
I found that by changing the numbers at the top of the hyphenation file on the tolino, it improved it a lot. I can't remember if I increased them by 1 or 2. I can't remember if JSWolf just changed these numbers or used a completely different hyphenation dictionary.
Quote:
I regard my Tolino as a solid, basic reader for epubs. The screen is excellent.
I'd agree with that sentiment. But, the Kobo is better especially with the library side of things.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #59
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I found that by changing the numbers at the top of the hyphenation file on the tolino, it improved it a lot. I can't remember if I increased them by 1 or 2. I can't remember if JSWolf just changed these numbers or used a completely different hyphenation dictionary.
I think he may have changed the numbers at the top but it's also a completely different hyphenation dictionary (from LibreOffice???). It's much bigger than the Kobo default one - 328KB vs 186KB.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I used a different hyphenation dictionary. I believe it's on that's use with Open Office. Also, I have the numbers set 2 for both left and right. This works much better than the Adobe hyphenation dictionary with settings of 5 for left and right. I had a look the other day at the ADE 2.0.1's hyphenation dictionary and it's set to 2 for left and 3 for right and even that's better.

Kobo can easily fix this issue by changing the numbers. I would suggest 2/3 as ADE 2.0.1 uses.